free hit
counters
400 Engine Staling - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
blindside

400 Engine Staling

I have covered 4,500 miles the 400 now, which is being used as a daily driver on a 45 mile round trip commute to work.

i was stuck in a mega traffic jam this morning and the engine stalled several times in low gear. When parking up the engine again stalled repeatedly and would not idle, or stay lit without sustained revs up to the 3-4k mark. The engine also appeared to be overheating, (cooling fans on for 90 seconds or thereabouts after parking up).. I had been sitting in city commute traffic for at least half an hour beforehand; (less than 30 mph and gentle revs in low gears).....Not a very warm day either!

I run the car on BP ultimate super 97 ron and nothing else. (I would use Shell V Power but you can't get it in N. Ireland).. 

MAF problem? Grateful for any thoughts or advice before getting my local dealer involved. Cheers guys!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Certainly sounds MAF related based on what others have found.

Do you have an OBD2 reader to check for codes?

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

8 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

Certainly sounds MAF related based on what others have found.

Do you have an OBD2 reader to check for codes?

Thanks for the quick reply @CocoPops No, but a mate has one and I will borrow it  this evening when I get home. Does look like a fuelling issue. Is this common with other 400s (I may have missed a thread or two on here).

Definitely sounds like a MAF issue. Any "Super" fuel should work, although I think people actually had problem with the old car on V-Power... I might be making that up.

Apparently the 400 is very sensitive to fuel, much more so than the last one. IF you run it on regular it'll really hate you, but obviously you've not done that

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

^ @JayEmm

Cheers James for confirming my suspicion. I will run a diagnostic tool tonight and see if any fault codes appear. It is a bit of a pain quite frankly (if proved correct) as I thought that the engine/ECU/EMS was the most bullet proof part of the car.

From my understanding of MAF issues, basically if the sensor starts giving false readings the ECU will try and compensate for a problem that isn't there - thus creating issues. I believe the fix is a straight replacement. Not sure exactly what the cause of the issue is, possibly a bad batch?

The symptoms are exactly the same in BMWs I've had. Here is a photo of my MAF sensor. I've been told it's the "old" part, not sure exactly how to tell. Also the cable tie holding the harness in place is important - that's an "improvement" Lotus implemented.

BADMAF1eaf.jpg

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

@JayEmm Thanks for sharing the pic. I do not have the featured cable tie and presumably that can only be there to prevent any vibration or movement unseating the wiring. As you point out it looks like a new MAF sensor unit is the likely fix.

There is a recent service bulletin about MAF loom routing on the 400s - have a word with your local dealer about this.

Dave

• Like 1

Silverstone informed me of the MAF loom routing issue when I reported some misfire/hesitation issues on mine, but the problem disapeared of its own accord so I haven't had it done.

I've also been running mine on a mixture of both regular 95 and super 97 and haven't noticed any difference in the way it runs or performs.

I wonder if @[email protected] can get hold of this TSB and share the contents for us.

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

definetly could be MAF sensor.

Same things happen to me 2 time in 2nd gear... deceleration before a round about, some engine exitations and car shut down with the engine light lit. The first time I tought about the car was a long maintained shut down in the showroom from the dealer, and that could caused the fail... but I think that i've to check the MAF sensor at the next service.

I only skimmed the bulletin, but I think it avoids the chargecooler hoses.

Lotus dealer portal is broken at the moment (all week so far!), so I can't check at present.

Dave

Apologies for reviving an old thread... my auto 400 is also stalling. However it's only happened twice and both times I've been able to restart the engine with the start button and then pop the car back in D (goes to N automatically on stall)

My MAF sensor looks pretty snug, worth cutting the ziptie to check the connection? Or the sensor itself?

5a2f27501e86c_ss(2017-12-12at11_46.26).jpg.b14e3047c05ca0fcad100901145afeb6.jpg

Edited by chylld

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara