Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 101 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
49 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Thanks Stephen. Have you got rubber trim in the inside of the rear bumper, it looks like it's fitted to the rear bumper but not the front?

Mine looks to be the same as Gotti’s above - never noticed until you pointed it out :)

Thanks Chaps. Interestiig. The Bond  car has rubber edging on the front and rear bumpers. It stops the bumper rubbing against the paint and fills gaps where the bumper edge isn't a perfect fit to the body. It's a pain to fit though! 

10 hours ago, Gotti said:

Hi.The rubber on my dry sump was/is only on the rear bumper when this helps.20180324_221211.thumb.jpg.bed0aca89c997e89d688d044e7dac0a9.jpg

Hanks for the info. Has your dry sump got the single centre support rear louvre? If so is the Aluminium strip glassed to the underside? Cheers.

Was checking this for mine yesterday....Addition of bumper trim must have been fairly random...my S3 didn't have any, and looking at pics of @hopo's identical one here :

Neither did that.

Did you source new rubber, Fabian, and if so, where from? i like the idea of the extra protection on installation.

I cant recall ever seeing an S3 or Turbo with front bumper trim. Its not listed in the parts book.

It might have been a case of the factory finding there was a big gap on some cars when fitting the bumpers so having to fill the gap.

It could have been added when the car was changed from white to copper.

37 minutes ago, Gotti said:

Yes the alu strip is fiberglassed to the louvre.I was in the garage right now,it looks like that..20180325_100423.thumb.jpg.d5d40b0daba288acd02eb845626b9e6b.jpg20180325_100428.thumb.jpg.5da4a762559e6e18af15ed0acefddbde.jpg

Great! Can't see from the picture does the fiberglass run the whole length of the strip where it contacts the louvre? Also can you see if the strip has a bracket to secure it at its ends or is it just fiberglass? Thanks for checking this! Cheers.

24 minutes ago, DaveyT said:

Was checking this for mine yesterday....Addition of bumper trim must have been fairly random...my S3 didn't have any, and looking at pics of @hopo's identical one here :

Neither did that.

Did you source new rubber, Fabian, and if so, where from? i like the idea of the extra protection on installation.

25 minutes ago, DaveyT said:

Neither did that.

Hi Dave, it's sold quite cheaply by S and J. Cheack under S1 parts if it doesn't come up. The problem without using it is if the bumper moves even slightly with vibration it will rub through the paint! I would need therapy I that happened!

• Like 1

IMG_3771.thumb.PNG.c3bd4668111ccaf042bc319b37defa77.PNGIt's actually called bumper edge seal. The quality of the Esprit parts in fiberglass isn't perfect which is why there are likely to be gaps. Anything other than perfect fitting and it could move around causing rubbing. You need about 4 m. Not bad considering the cost of all the other bits.

• Like 1

Finally she made it to my assembly area, now  lets bolt it all together. A detail photographic bolt together! 

Remember this is only for fun anything copied is entirely at your own risk! I like working upside down!IMG_3775.thumb.JPG.a777d8485d999504516cdc4164934457.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A few more wires than the S1! the restoration of a Turbo is much more time consuming than an S1,S2 S2.2. Why? Because each system has so many more parts, just lookmin the parts manual. It has more of everything. With values being less than those if the S1 and it coating more to restore you can understand why the big guns don't do nut and bolt Turbo restos! Anyhow their loss and my gain! 

IMG_3778.thumb.JPG.37b2a86164a23990af305bbfd1ebf5c2.JPGHave to say this machine is in pretty good nick. Everything is original and hasn't been messed with making it a far easier job to reassemble. 

I started with the steering column. I didn't get very far because the high tensile pinch bolt was corroded(8mm). I have ordered some. The upper column  is held by a square Nut in a slot in the crossbeam. The lower part has to be phased with the upper part somthe steering wheel  feel is constant when the wheel is turned. Details of this in the manual, quite simple. There must be a spacer on the Lower pinion to stop it from moving and jamming the steering on the chassis, that would not be good! 

Pedal box, fitted using 8 x 25 mm A2 bolts with spring washer and washer. I had to tap one of the threads out. Rebuilt box now fitted. Then ran out of time due other house jobs!☹️☹️☹️IMG_3779.thumb.JPG.7d424d86493c88576180b9826f96913b.JPG

Maybe I shoiuld have labelled the loom! Never mind I subscribe to chaos theory, somewhere a butterfly will flap its wings and this will all go back together!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Fuel system

please allow a bit of poetic license I have replaced the stainless screws with stainless Allen heads on the fuel pipe grommets PNM made me! I have put a picture of the wing in because I like the paint. Neil Thompson has done a stunning paint job, you can really see it in the artificial light. The metallic is spot on to the original! IMG_3802.thumb.JPG.66c6cb694e2a00e4bb059caede914cf3.JPGIMG_3794.thumb.JPG.886b45c1ec01da0bb97a033653bd2d25.JPGI bought a brand new but antique electric Aerial, seems to fit if I can get it out of the wing again I will post the make! 

Fuel tanks next, I need the room!

• Thanks 1

The black areas have been coated in Raptor coat. Didn't get much more done today. The fuel grommets were  originally screwed in with stainless screws. I don't like this method of fixing, unless there is no better method. The water drain fixings at the rear of the tailgate were originally  riveted. I don't like this either I prefer screws over rivets in this area. It's too easy to slip and damage the paint! 

I bought the part 33 screws and washers then decided against it. I don't like screws sticking out. Riveting here might be better and in fact mine was riveted too. Maybe Lotus decided to switch after the parts manual was written?IMG_3809.thumb.PNG.c1878487375aa280b15136f25cdb3cd1.PNG

Hi Dan, 

no I didn't receive it, that's annoying! 

Please pm me your address, I will send you some complimentary stickers. Thanks for sending the badge, hope soneone out there hasn't got it! Thanks for the thought anyway.