free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 100 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

3 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Thanks Buddsy, Oh crap, I have already done the fans!  I went for 10 inch fans. I had to make the fan loom for the S1. Is there a ready made fan loom I could buy to save all the work? I'm pushed for time at the moment. I need to assemble the car so all the parts are in one place! 

Im sure it will be fine just something I heard so maybe work keeping an eye making sure they are tight. Im sure they are better than the crappy fiesta units whatever!

respect and keep up the momentum.

buddsy

• Thanks 1

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those of you reading this sometimes things that are written come across not as intended. I have called Dave Changes today and had a long chat. He has a vast amount of experience with these engines

Posted Images

Thanks Steve, perfect! Your car is stunning, makes me think about painting mine red - but that ship has sailed!

The paint scheme is very similar to the S1, only a few simplifications.

Thanks Buddsy, fingers crossed no rad probs, really do need to get this car together. You know what it's like one step forward and two back. My latest problem is sourcing leather hide in the Bond colour. I have half and half trim which needs sorting to full leather. If anyone had any full leather seats or door cards I'm your man, that would be an easy solution! 

Radiator shroud nearly repaired. The corner was completely shot. I gelcoated and fiberglass a new corner. Just need to let it set and shape it. Then it can go back in the car! I'll be moving this project into my main assembly area - the heated garage - I'm done with the shed! 

I'm saving the Lotus Esprit front badge for the last thing to put on. Although I might weeken at any time and bolt it on, it will be very cool! 

Stickers

Thanks to Dave and his team with a knowledge of graphic design we are a the sample stage. The first sticker should arrive Tuesday. I will be selling the remaining ones to recover costs. Will post on here how much they will be and then if you pm with a stamped address envelope I will,send them out. They won't be cheap but will be the best you can buy, hopefully faithful to the movie and designed from the original sticker!5aa0e97eb7fe9_LotusEspritTurbo-FYEOBurglarAlarmStickervers01.jpg.78f4038ad7ab529e3543fcca2935e83d.jpgWell done Dave, thank you. Thanks Lotus Forums. With the knowledge base on here and working as a team there should be no limit as to what we can achieve. We need to set up our own 3D printing for parts! 

Maybe Bibs can get into it? 

??????????????

• Like 2

No problem @Lotusfab ... sort of ;) (about 4 iterations and the initial draft).

I'm a stickler for getting the right font, and Peter the graphics designer has done a great job of recreating the original (probably) hand made prop design.

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, Andyww said:

I suppose I could take one. It would mean I would also need to convert to Compomotives though :)

And black door mirrors Andy.......go on!:yes:

Yes very pleased with them.  Wheelworx in Bury st Edmunds.  

No idea about 1981 but mine look good.  I did speak to a very reputable firm about just painting but took the plunge with powder coating.  Way tougher finish.  Only issue (Not checked yet) may have to trim 0.2mm from the I/D of the barrels so to sit them correctly on the centers.  Will check over weekend.

I'm sure you already know this, but you need to be careful when torquing the wheel nuts where powdercoating has been done. It will compress and the nuts end up loose. Needs doing a few times when wheels are first fitted. :) 

• Like 1

It's getting there......

As @TAR said, just be careful when tightening the bolts with powder coated rims. I've had them done on other cars without a problem. Though power coating may present a tougher finish, it's by no means foolproof, and will age and need periodic intervals like any other finish. Best used in places where it's condition can be monitored and removed easily.

The one benefit of powder coating is that it hides a poor surface and small pitting better than most, and generally provides a consistent finish.

I thought the Comps had the outer-facing edges sanded off to expose metal and the inner edges black?

Is that possible with powder coating?

• Like 1

Yes the wheel nuts need bare metal to really bite onto. I found tightening the nuts over fully powder coated wheels cracked the powder coat anyway. When mine were re-done the second time I asked that the areas that come into contact with the wheel nuts be stripped of the powder coating. Ah the joys of Compomotives. 

Great work as always Fabian. Attention to detail is second to none and surely surpass that of the factory workers in Hethel in 1981!

• Thanks 1

Where the 5 wheel bolts bite they have have coloured over spray that is not actually powder coated. Quick wiz with emery paper and it will be bare metal. Will take note of TARS comment re the torquing of the 20 bolts per wheel though. Thanks TAR

Phil, My BBS s needed the hub centres relieving back to bare metal for a slide fit.

thx for the nut info, didnt realise that could be a problem

I have an issue with centres and caps. I have a solution but it's a long explanation as I believe there are currently only 2 cars with 5 stud Comps on the road my problem is probably unique. Once the solution is overcome I will let you know unless someone really wants to know now.  My centres are slightly bigger than the hubs but also I want to go from black plastic centres to spun ally caps. 

Dave , assume you are rebuilding some Comps too?

Once again work has gotten in the way of a good project!

I disappeared down a fiberglassing hole never to be seen again! I have had it with hand sanding as I have too much fiberglassing so now have a random orbital palm sander! Hopefully the job will speed up. The radiantir shroud and undersheilds are done. I am about to switch over cars so the Turbo is in the main garage. Should start to fly along after the switch. 

I believe I have finally sorted the sticker problem. I had to lay a fee and get rid of the last company. They were taking to long and they produced a sub standard opaque sticker, despite my clear instructions. Anyhow I believe I have sorted this. I have stickers on the way that are in clear vinyl. They are held by static and printed in red and white on the vinyl, exactly what I wanted. I hope when they turn up they are as described. I can do two for £7. Will post Picts when they arrive. 

Now the weathers changing I'm on a mission and plan to go for itbover the next three weeks. I also have to get the S1 back on the road after the winter layup. Happy days! 😀😀😀😀

Oh, you may remember I got a sample from Conelly of the exact Leather which I check against the Bond car in Miami. Unfortunately the minimum order is six leather hides. They don't supply anything similar in single hides. The cost of six is astronomical so I've been hunting for a match. Steve Fulcher is kindly retrimming the interior to full Bond spec. I hope to have a solution soon. I have located the exact carpet colour which arrives Monday. I need to get the loom and interior bits back in so I can put the new carpet in, the wife won't want be storing it in the house! I would already have most if the car in there but as I bring the bits in she puts them back out!

• Haha 1