free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 101 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

I have the same problem Fabian. I bring them in and hide them when she's at work!

• Haha 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those of you reading this sometimes things that are written come across not as intended. I have called Dave Changes today and had a long chat. He has a vast amount of experience with these engines

Posted Images

Fan harness

the original Lotus 3 fan harness is pretty poor so I'm going to put a new one in. Rather than calulate the wire size, connect all the bullets and make one has anyone found a cost effective off the shelf  replacement? 

Stickers

Well, it's just a saga now! I had to let the original company go and pay them a token fee😩They were not up,to it. I have found another company and the stickers arrive in the next few days. If they are as described and up to standard they should be excellent, if not well the saga continues. The good news is I will sell them at two for £5 , to recoup my expenses. This will be a real gift if they are as I expect! 

• Like 1

This wheels of my Dry sump Esprit are still orginal and never been redone,

the innerlines are black, and outside silver (orginal rim colour)

it had a clearpaint on it, thats what i have removed, because after all that years it was very bad,

now it looks great (to keep it orginal!) maby this give's you some info

IMG-20150409-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.b8e0ee77c87a49d2aff396f3dc50ced5.jpeg

• Gold FFM
On 3/16/2018 at 07:21, Lotusfab said:

Oh, you may remember I got a sample from Conelly of the exact Leather which I check against the Bond car in Miami. Unfortunately the minimum order is six leather hides. They don't supply anything similar in single hides. The cost of six is astronomical so I've been hunting for a match. Steve Fulcher is kindly retrimming the interior to full Bond spec. I hope to have a solution soon. I have located the exact carpet colour which arrives Monday. I need to get the loom and interior bits back in so I can put the new carpet in, the wife won't want be storing it in the house! I would already have most if the car in there but as I bring the bits in she puts them back out!

Love it. I managed to sneak all the bigger parts under the bed in the spare room. Bumpers, Spoiler, Skirts, Cant rail's etc.

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, Tocus said:

This wheels of my Dry sump Esprit are still orginal and never been redone,

the innerlines are black, and outside silver (orginal rim colour)

it had a clearpaint on it, thats what i have removed, because after all that years it was very bad,

now it looks great (to keep it orginal!) maby this give's you some info

Yes when they were black these were just like that with the outer surfaces sanded off to reveal metal, and they had anodized barrels, not polished as some people seem to do. But what was the finish on gold ones? Presumably the centres were not sanded off on the outer faces, they were all gold?

BTW those balance weights can go! Most modern balancing machines can be set to never specify weights on the outside. Its more effort for the operator and uses more weights, but they can all go on the inside except in extreme cases.

6 minutes ago, Andyww said:

Yes when they were black these were just like that with the outer surfaces sanded off to reveal metal, and they had anodized barrels, not polished as some people seem to do. But what was the finish on gold ones? Presumably the centres were not sanded off on the outer faces, they were all gold?

BTW those balance weights can go! Most modern balancing machines can be set to never specify weights on the outside. Its more effort for the operator and uses more weights, but they can all go on the inside except in extreme cases.

yess i know, i removed allready the balance weights, thats how i bought this very early dry sump car,

i also dont like it, but i like the wheels, they are still after all this years factory orginal!!

It's a long process but have just finished the repairs to the radiator shroud. I am now starting work on the louvre for the tailgate. The undersheilds are good to go. So I could put the radiator back if I could sort the fan loom, the original went walkies! 

The tailgate louvre has lost a screw thread. The nut was seized and it broke off. This is not good, as welding would be difficult. The other solution is also not good, lots of work. You file off the fiberglass around the sheared bolt thread to reveal the round metal fixing that is embedded in the louvre. You take it out make another one with a new screw thread and fiberglass it all back together!

It seem as if I have been fiberglassing forever! Hopefully this car will start going back together soon.

.there are a lot of plastic P clips on this car. I'm replacing all of them. Autosparks are providing the clips. I use them fir the colour coded wire for the electrics. I will have to knock up another fan harness, not a problem as electrics is my favourite  job.

• Like 2

Yes, definitely recommended. Smaller, lighter, better access to everything else in that area owing to more space.

Dont do what the guy who installed the one on my car did when Mike, the previous owner had it though. The one they used didnt have the auxiliary contact which by-passes the ballast resistor, so instead if wiring in a diode adaptor, they simply bypassed the resistor permanently. That meant the coil would overheat and the ignition would cut out suddenly when driving.

In fact thats one of the reasons I now own the car, I bought it with this known fault on it, along with some others, as Mike was unable to find the problem but I found the issue.

• Thanks 1

How's your alternator, Fabian? Are you considering an uprated one for any reason and If so, do you have one in mind?

It's another bit of my car that is suspect...

Thanks Andy.High Dave. My alternator is ok, but I want a new one. There are some on eBay but they are 65 amps, not 70. I haven't checked the connections out yet. Here's the fiberglassing.IMG_3709.thumb.JPG.92138cc3d989512c74f922265f7f4ccf.JPG

• Like 1

Glassing looks good.

There's a guy who does repairs down here who indicated he could find a suitable alternator upgrade (90A) if i take the unit down to him.

think he' s done refurbs for swlc before. Will let u know if i have any luck

• Like 1

The alternator depends on whether you have A/C on the car or not, if its an early Turbo. The non-AC type has some equivalents but the A/C one has an unusual type of mounting and body so its difficult to find. 

I had mine refurbed by a place in Wandsworth and it came back like new, but last time I drove past there I dont think they were there any more. These type of places are disappearing rapidly.

With everything on, lights and fans etc, would more than 65 amps be needed though? It could be calculated knowing fan consumption and headlamps. Its possible I suppose.

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

no I agree 65 amp is acceptable with the summer only use. Even with everything on it wouldn't  be a problem. We could always move to china? It's full of electric scooters darting around in the dark with no lights to save electric charge!

Louvre nightmare!IMG_3710.thumb.JPG.56afa10ec2209af9317f6e341a5c228d.JPGIMG_3711.thumb.JPG.a0a0f5c48a01f47548e996db2c4b7b28.JPG

This used to be a bolt thread!

I'm like the count of Monte Christo, instead of digging a tunnel I'm slowly chiselling and filing the fiberglass!

I dont know if there is a proper scientific reason for this but although there is not much that can rust on an Esprit, the parts which can rust seriously do!