free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 152 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lotusfab

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Gear lever and knob fix.

The thin gear lever is 7 max 1.0 pitch thread. The thicker stick 8 mmx1. So how to change. Havn't completed it yet but will drill out and tap the original insert in the knob to 10 mm. Then insert a 10-7 mm helicoil. I tried tapping a piece on aluminium to 7 mm and screwing into an 8 mm drilled out knob. It didn't work the Ali collapsed. I think the helicoil should work if I can tap the knob out to 10 mm. Lot of hassle!

Engine

Plan to take it all to visit Pete at PNM this month ASAP if the snow disappears. Once the Maestro has inspected it I'm hoping to buy anything I need and reassemble. May have to leave the head for valve lapping. Camshaft seals and  core plugs to replace. Then onto Carburettors and gearbox. I've been studying the manuals and videos. Seems pretty simple to rebuild the carbs. Armed with my sonic bath It should be easy. If the sonic doesn't bring the bodies up it's off for aqua blasting again.

Oh and they have rebuilt my water pump, happy days! The radiator is proving a problem. The upgrade to Ali is expensive because no one has produced them in Bulk. Spoke to Coolexperts who make the Elan radiator. They tell me in about six months they may remake them. Around £300 plus vt is the guess, sadly I can't wait. Mr Bond must have the car working this summer! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well One of my fuel tanks is missing!

I have taken them both out and shall be using Axminster Ally tanks. The aim of a test is to put it back together, sometimes you've got to take it apart again! IMG_6101.thumb.JPG.5d450358a6c0d5081cc0b4dd7c06dccc.JPGIMG_6099.thumb.JPG.0b4e417286b5fda5a1837e5df3619f89.JPGIMG_6095.thumb.JPG.b6e41eabc9fb93cc7749d1f2649c786e.JPGIMG_6103.thumb.JPG.b53fe82c5d3f512a7b1ac23c0a09e192.JPG

Have started the carbs. Very dirty and gummed up! The sonic bath so far is pretty disappointing. It removes the dirt but at 80 degrees and 40 minutes in with the correct fluid they are only slightly cleaner looking. May have to aquablast! 

Sonic bath

80 degrees  1 hr, professional fluid. Gets rid of dirt but nit as shiney and new as I had hoped. Any ideas? One on the right has been in the bath.IMG_6131.thumb.JPG.604d53e7dd5eb2c8cf6c92833c27fd74.JPG

Yep that's the way ahead! Did you use ACF 50 on them?

We're the screws and brassbits aqua blasted?

Do they aquablast with the exterior fully assembled including all the brass and screws? 

I believe the carburettor snapping at the float holder support is common and can be repaired. I prefer to replace as the carbs are pretty critical to your investment not going up in smoke. Of course I will have the engine bay fire extinguisher mod. Arguably even more important in a turbo than an S1 because of the increased fuel pressure and lots of extra leaky bits. Here's the extinguisher as fitted to my S1. 4.5L of extinguishant. The only problem being an inquisitive MOTer pulling the red handle to open the boot!

IMG_6141.thumb.PNG.3a5cdbca229df9fb314d1ab071e333f6.PNGIMG_6142.thumb.PNG.d612e93213aba5647cd27d92fb73973d.PNGIMG_6143.thumb.PNG.7735768dc6c3bc69d4f591c6945c50c8.PNG

• Like 2

That "ear" on the support snapping is caused by someone putting the shaft in wrongly and simply bashing it in from the other end without supporting the "ear" end on a vice or suchlike. 

Eurocarb have top covers listed but do they have the turbo carb version? Maybe its the same as standard but many parts are different. BTW SJ are supplying the wrong accelerator pump diaphragms if you order one for the turbo, I had to send them back, Eurocarb have the right ones.

• Like 1

Yep I'm hoping the Eurocarb tops are the same. Here's the one, I hope. May have to visit them in Reading.IMG_6137.thumb.PNG.c147a4358ee3f5d60864a11c62b6ee2a.PNG

They can of course do a professional repair.

Looks similar?IMG_6136.thumb.PNG.9830692ad380bccaeec8a17a5fafcd3d.PNG

Regarding cleanup of your carb casings, I also found that ultrasonic cleaning didn't bring them up as good as I'd like. So I made a home-made soda blasting attachment from an old tyre pressure gun on my compressor. Couple of quid of soda powder from eBay and they came up pretty ok - not quite as good as aqua-blasting though. But the beauty of using soda blasting is that the soda dissolves in water, so a rinse back in the ultrasonic tank and there's no danger of leaving any cleaning media inside.

IMG_3208.thumb.jpg.17dcb674cd0d481bdb4b006dc1273227.jpg

Oh, and a liberal spray of ACF-50 on the carbs and manifold (in fact any exposed alloy) helps to keep the surface corrosion down.

• Like 2

Carbs come up pretty well using Scotchbrite, a fibreglass pen and WD40. Cant get into everywhere such as the space between the barrels though. Not as good as vapour blasting but its a quick and easy method without doing any strip down.

What is a fiberglass pen, if you please?

They are made up of many thin fibreglass strands tied together. I also have a finer one which actually looks like a pen somewhere.

The only issue I find when using them on the workbench is you end up with very tiny slivers of glassfibre on the bench which can be itchy if get into skin.

DSCN3667.JPG

• Like 1

I'm learning lots on this blog! 

It's tempting to try and rush these restos, but that will never end well. I've decided I'm going for the full monty. I shall be taking the whole front end apart and replacing the  radiator. I will fit the bulkhead speakers and rear covers. I then have to dismantle the rear chasis again to replace the sliding spacers in the hub with new ones. Tomorrow all of the aquablasted engine parts will return and Tuesday it's up to see the engine expert Pete at PNM with all the engine bits.  Should start engine reassembly soon, but you know what this is like! I havn't looked at the gearbox yet! My must finish date is November for the NEC car show. I plan to take this and the S1. It's very likely I will finish by then. 

I still need the wing mirrors. They are the must have part. All my hopes are on Eric on here who says he might have some in a cupboard somewhere. Fingers crossed. Would be a shame to be thwarted this far along. So far I have managed to overcome just about all the issues, even the speaker grilles! Life would be so much easier if you could still by the parts. Maybe the answer to the wing mirrors is to manufacture more? 

• Like 1

Which sliding spacers in the hub Fabian ?

A

Hi Dan, part 46. I have a studied thread I made up for the S1. I have already bought the new parts but havn't had time to fit them.IMG_6159.thumb.PNG.7d756276783666ee89261468ba9654f0.PNG

• Like 1

All very very clean. I think I going Ferrari and painting them. Why longevity I don't think the finish will last even with ACF 50. Now the head is carbon free it's all off to PNM tomorrow. 

The cam holders are equally impressive. Engine will need a quick run upto operating temp then a new filter and oil change to ensure no stray media.

I could never have got it this clean!

Very impressive repair by Paul at Cranford, can't even see it!

Carbs

they need to be stripped. Then the parts can be aquablasted. The brass screws aquablasted separately in a special container. The body then sprayed in ACF 50 and they are put back together. They look complex but really are very simple when you split them down into what each bit does. The Lotus manual lists the carb type 45H for the Turbo (I think) then the jets etc all have a number which is also listed in the parts manual so you can buy. spares.I have lots of pics if anyone gets stuck. 

6 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Carbs

The Lotus manual lists the carb type 45H for the Turbo (I think) then the jets etc all have a number which is also listed in the parts manual so you can buy. spares.I have lots of pics if anyone gets stuck. 

Isn’t it a DHLA40 on your car? I think the 45s came later. Different jet sizes. Section TDB, page 9

• Like 1

Ad initium