free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 156 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lotusfab

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

I think the head is going to take a lot more time to sort out. Cleaning and valve clearances. There will be a lot of trial and error! 

The camshaft seals are also going to be replaced, together with resized thrust washers. No looking forward to that! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
3 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Things like the pattern of sealant on the face of the block are not detailed anywhere. Also no experts have ever posted any detailed pictures, 

Your sealant pattern is fine ,  There were / are pic's of the sealant and other bits on page 4 of S300 No. 25 Restoration resumed   also of the sump page 12 of 412 BHP...THAT WILL DO NICELY......

You have guessed it this MBH is from a later series engine where Lotus have redesigned the MBH so there is sufficient lubrication without the mod.

As the MBH and the block are pattern parts machined as one , this if as you say may indicate the whole engine is of later spec and not original to your Esprit..  Even though the machining is very similar between engines it is very rare to get an MBH from one engine to fit another perfect without line boring and fitting outsize bearings, These bearing are no longer available and the MBH and engine would have been stamped with outsize adjustment.. 

There's no Loctite on any threads. The thread end  in the lower part of the  upper picture touched briefly on the A136 when I was aligning the MBH, just hadn't wiped  it off. 

Before you torqued up the MBH the threads should have been lightly oiled.  Some people use loctite as the lubricant. I prefer to lightly oil the threads and then also use loctite blue as extra precaution..     Maybe you were not aware of the reason for this , so mabe this will help.  

When a bolt is lubricated - less torque is required to achieve bolt axial load or tension. Reduction of torques for lubricated vs. dry bolts are indicated in the table below.

Lubricant Torque Reduction 
(%)
No lube 0
Graphite 50 - 55
White Grease 35 - 45
SAE 30 oil 35 - 45
SAE 40 oil 30 - 40

Example - Reduction of Torque when Bolt is Lubricated

The maximum tightening torque for a slightly lubricated 1" Grade 5 coarse bolt is 483 lb ft. Dry bolt torque is approximately 30% higher - or 628 lb ft.

Tdry = (483 lb ft) (1 + (30%) / (100%))

= 628 lb ft

If the bolt is lubricated with SAE 30 oil - the torque compared to a dry bolt is reduced with approximately 40%.

TSAE30 = (628 lb ft) (1 - (40%) / (100%))

= 377 lb ft

Note that if torque specified for a dry or slightly oiled bolt torque is applied to a lubricated bolt  - the bolt may overload and break.

Referring to the  last paragraph, in your case you may well not have reached the required torque , It may be worth just undoing the nuts and big end bolts applying a bit of oil and re torquing..   I only suggest this, as it is such and important area where the extreme loading's are the reason for that level of torque.. 

Dave, what's your take on the crank shaft seals? Alignment tool or not? 

I have been fitting them for years without a tool or leaks..  I normally apply a liberal amount of Graphogen to the crank and the seal and it slips on quite easy..  Slide the cover and seal into place against the block , it with self center . then tighten..   NB these are very low torque so I apply smear of welseal to both sides of gasket to ensure no leak...  it also helps keep the gasket in place when doing the job..  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dave, excellent post. I wasnt aware of your other blogs. I have already copied the sump picture and shall read the rest! 

Im lucky in a way. The MBP is indeed a later spec as is the crank  and block. I traced back through the receipts, in 1988 the owner blew up the engine and paid  to  have a new 1/2 engine and rebuild. The car then had just over 40000 miles when the engine blew and went off road at 66000! This may explain why there is not much wear, coupled with all the new bits bought in the last 10 years of restoration. Like many this one has gone on long before I started on it!

i wasn’t aware of the torque being affected so much by the friction level. There are a lot of errors possible when torquing up like the wrench used! Some just don’t work very well. I snapped a camber castor suspension bolt on the Disco by trying to torque it to 270 nms. It snapped before I realised the Teng wrench, which  was new had broken! 

I shall revisit the big end bolts and ensure correct torque. Thanks. 

As I said it’s a learning process! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

I shall revisit the big end bolts and ensure correct torque. Thanks

Your Very welcome ...   

3 hours ago, CHANGES said:

Your Very welcome ...   

Hi Dave, excellent post. I wasnt aware of your other blogs. I have already copied the sump picture and shall read the rest! 

Im lucky in a way. The MBP is indeed a later spec as is the crank  and block. I traced back through the receipts, in 1988 the owner blew up the engine and paid  to  have a new 1/2 engine and rebuild. The car then had just over 40000 miles when the engine blew and went off road at 66000! This may explain why there is not much wear, coupled with all the new bits bought in the last 10 years of restoration. Like many this one has gone on long before I started on it!

i wasn’t aware of the torque being affected so much by the friction level. There are a lot of errors possible when torquing up like the wrench used! Some just don’t work very well. I snapped a camber castor suspension bolt on the Disco by trying to torque it to 270 nms. It snapped before I realised the Teng wrench, which  was new had broken! 

I shall revisit the big end bolts and ensure correct torque. Thanks. 

As I said it’s a learning process! 

Errors in torqueing big ends are possibly the most sure way to blow up an engine catastrophically. Great caution advised, bolts to be of reliable provenance and not previously torqued.

• Like 2

Well this thread is delving into some pretty boring but essential tenchnical stuff. Here's a reminder of what I am trying to achieve!IMG_2532.thumb.PNG.c281d4b630a4e13b8dc0b5b906a403d1.PNGIMG_2533.JPG.4519ca8ab44d6f7e53387084685ff210.JPGIMG_0103.PNG.6344f2e648554ceec3ffb4513bdfd675.PNGIMG_3550.thumb.PNG.aea3035717d7381e4f1fdbb7856249e6.PNGIMG_4334.thumb.PNG.5981c64d0f89c4c0354795c0464ed8cb.PNGIMG_4336.thumb.PNG.6b0c8a936f4bf1dce20532078f9f8650.PNG

IMG_5812.jpg

• Like 2

I never even noticed in that picture RM is wearing a jacket with a Lotus logo on it! I only ever noticed the 007 logo before.

Which would be a pretty strange thing for a secret agent to wear "I am secret agent 007".

Hope you are going to reproduce that jacket too :)  

• Like 1

Farrah slacks and blousons were never a good look.

Check out View to a Kill for further proof.

Ski choice is questionable also.

• Like 1

Yeah 70's beige never seems to have made a comeback for some reason...

26 minutes ago, Fridge said:

Farrah slacks and blousons were never a good look.

Check out View to a Kill for further proof.

Ski choice is questionable also.

Nothing wrong with those skis! 

Now where can I get that jacket????

As an extreme skier, I can tell you otherwise.

However, my fashion tips leave a lot to be desired.

Edited by Fridge
  • Haha 1

So who's in for a group by on that jacket?

DEFINITELY count me out.

Alan Partridge may be interested though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

So who's in for a group by on that jacket?

Back in the day a very similar jacket was available in black/gold(yellow). I’d have one in that colour scheme.

D15886E4-1A6F-4D71-8284-BA0DD846D302.jpeg

• Like 1

It would be great until we all turn up a a Lotus day with the same jacket, then it might be a bit odd! 

Bibs, how about a licensed replica - I'll risk looking odd! 

Alan Partridge isn't having one, the price will Soar! 

49 minutes ago, RichardJGC said:

Back in the day a very similar jacket was available in black/gold(yellow). I’d have one in that colour scheme.

D15886E4-1A6F-4D71-8284-BA0DD846D302.jpeg

Looks better in that scheme, although I would need a JPS to sit in with it, else I would be out of place! 

56 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

It would be great until we all turn up a a Lotus day with the same jacket, then it might be a bit odd! 

Bibs, how about a licensed replica - I'll risk looking odd! 

Alan Partridge isn't having one, the price will Soar! 

Looks better in that scheme, although I would need a JPS to sit in with it, else I would be out of place! 

As it happens one such jacket was gifted to me last year by a now deceased friend, as he was nearing his end. Apparently it had been gifted to him long ago by an acquaintance who'd been a key figure in Rolls Royce USA marketing, serving back in that unhappy period around '80-81.

• Like 1

Black and (bold) gold, as shown in the picture.

• Like 1

Very cool! 

Well thanks to Thomas, our American connection I have the two Aircon knobs. One for Andy one for me so we can both complete out cars. Cheers Thomas. The graphics panel should arrive today in the US! IMG_6317.thumb.JPG.b571f7b27e1583050b0f0a1c7b82adbb.JPGThis resto knows no geographic boundaries! 

• Like 2

Kimbers sold his dads one of those jackets a couple of years back on ebay.

buddsy

• Like 1

Graphics panel shows delivered in the US so hopefully Thimas can replace the Brocken one in his car. Found this rare pics. Nice!IMG_6319.thumb.PNG.9e285bd479c3ead9fef40c25b2f7c264.PNGIMG_6320.thumb.PNG.a54a2e8910f709b308e4adbb428ddfbf.PNG

• Like 1

Hi Thomas, that's looks fab, especially the knobs! Thanks for your help Thomas from me and Andy👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Wow Andy that's impressive! I could probably get those remade using your photoshop pic. Is it exactly correct? It looks it?