free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 168 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lotusfab

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
47 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Was just explaining to my daughter how I have to do lots of works continuously on these cars. She said Its like being Sisyphus. I said who the .... is that? Well here you go! I didn't have any of his characteristics all I did was buy a Lotus! 

In Greek mythology Sisyphus or Sisyphos (/ˈsɪsɪfəs/Ancient Greek: Σίσυφος Sísuphos) was the king of Ephyra (now known as Corinth). He was punished for his self-aggrandizing craftiness and deceitfulness by being forced to roll an immense boulder up a hill only for it to roll down when it nears the top, repeating this action for eternity

I have referenced Sisyphus from time to time in conversation though not in the context of my enormous time investment on the Esprit as it would apply only in the event of re-doing the same job repeatedly. Progress is made therefore Sisyphus' fate is not for us! Carry on . . ...😎 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomcattom said:

What was the lead time like on the tanks?

It's been about six weeks.

1 hour ago, drdoom said:

I have referenced Sisyphus from time to time in conversation though not in the context of my enormous time investment on the Esprit as it would apply only in the event of re-doing the same job repeatedly. Progress is made therefore Sisyphus' fate is not for us! Carry on . . ...😎 

The sad thing it seems I have been doing the same jobs again and again to get them better!

Camshaft covers. Has anyone noticed in pictures that the oil filler camshaft cover seems to be fitted with thebfiller hole at the front and sometimes at the rear. Why is this? I would think the filler hole should be at the front, but the cover seems to fit better with the hole at the rear???IMG_5901.thumb.PNG.65bf04a7ce6c13b361c57ca2530a697b.PNGnotice here the writing doesn't match. I would have though pt the Lotus and Turbo markings should all be the same way round?

IMG_6663.thumb.PNG.ae931c9830fa073020e57f7c53212d5a.PNGThe lower picture I would think is correct??

Interesting how they reversed the Turbo on that part,

I would think they put it at the front as the engines originally went into front-engined cars, Jensen, Elite, Eclat, then never bothered to change it until the HC.

Never noticed before that they seem to have inverted the "Turbo" writing on the HC.

Yep but why? I would find it annoying if the words don't match! Maybe the top engine has the cam covers on wrong? Found the pic on the net.IMG_6663.thumb.PNG.ae931c9830fa073020e57f7c53212d5a.PNGThe lower picture I would think is correct??

They are both correct, top one, LC was the way they were and lower, HC was the way they were.

That's annoying, the words will be the wrong way! 

Yes, but if you put the other way it wont be Bond car accurate :)

It is curious how the crossover pipe came to be wrong, simply seems to have been a cock up in the factory, which they corrected when they re-designed it for the HC.

Those cam covers were native to the wet sump Turbo Esprit for years before fitted to any front engine cars, I believe. Would have thought the filler should be at the aft end, for better access when fitted to Esprit.

parts book:

camcovers.png

• Like 2

the oil filler cap on the V8’s is right at the front as well

• Like 1

New window motor arrived. Switched over the gear, works perfectly. £86 delivered from Ohio,  refurbished original.IMG_6884.thumb.JPG.104df8274ea790c3ef7e2f112d99516e.JPGIMG_6883.thumb.JPG.1e5ac7dbd62fc43bea494c2c9b899482.JPGdefinately the way ahead if your window won't close or open. Now it's perfect! Be careful,if your taking it apart. There a spring in side which returns this into a guillotine. I'm now nursing a nasty cut! Use thick gloves! 

IMG_6890.thumb.PNG.35fe2b3fdf4932e0a8a835f7ef3b5151.PNG

• Like 1

Havnt had much time recently. Still progressing slowley. The Axminster fuel tanks are ready and on there way. So many jobs are linked on this car. Once I get the fuel tanks I can install the rear speaker surrounds. I have ordered new dry cell foam for the tank undersides. It's need to stop drumming noises and ensure the tank is supported.

The gearbox is still in pieces I have a new pinion bearing now. Just need to paint the main body. I didn't Aqua blast this because the reverse gear is tricky to remove and the bearing surface may have been damaged. So it's brake cleaner and patience. It's now ready to paint, but just havn't had time. Then the gearbox is going back together.

Waiting for one seat from Mr Fulcher and then the interior is sorted. 

Big thanks to Steve on here who kindly allowed me acces to his dry sump to measure up the rear Louvre support. You may remember the Bond car only has centre rear supports with an Aluminium reinforcement brace. I have the pattern now just need to make it. My tailgate louvres are looking a bit odd, mid stage!IMG_3732.thumb.JPG.72a638ef92bd035f11edf85dafd77ce8.JPG

• Like 2

They look awesome Fabian,   Very well put together,  bet they cost a few pennys....  Just never look at the receipts again lol 

If you get chance and have not yet binned your old tanks,   I  would be intrested to see what the weight saving is also ?

Hi Dan, I have outed the other tanks but they feel a lot lighter.  I havn't looked at receipts for some months now!!😬😬😬

I have to say these were fair value in comparison to others I have seen. The build quality is superb. I don't think you can go wrong with these as they will make the fuel system so much better. No sediment in the carbs or contamination to block the filters.

• Like 1

I Owe a lot to Pete and John at PNM engineering on the Wirral. Without those guys this project would have been much more difficult. http://www.pnmparts.co.uk/

IMG_6970.thumb.JPG.926cfbbb2f971782233e456d7c398133.JPG just saved my bacon again with a replacement scroll and half shaft, it even came with a new bearing fitted, thanks Chaps!

Well, that's it for the parts the project is now 100 per cent complete! I just have to reassemble. Thanks to all those people from Seattle to Glasgow to the Netherlands who have helped me get to this point! 

• Like 1

Speaker covers all and one tank fitted. As with anything bespoke a little effort is required but I think it was worth all the effort and didn't take long. I'm also very please I put the rear speakers in. I chose Sony and they sound excellent when coupled with the forward ones. IMG_0081.thumb.jpg.411c201b915a42589f6ea240237c28a6.jpgIMG_0079.thumb.jpg.1ea10a67fbf4ba3ef1c9265bd1fd29b4.jpg

• Like 1

Door Weather seal strip

Have ordered some from Woolies Trim. On my car it's the thinner one about 11 mm. Use the clips also from Woolies. Their code for it is 152A. 

How did you attach the Speaker boxes in the engine bay? Just glued or screws etc? Thank you!

Hi Henry, just used silicon sealant. 

Lovely, thank you - at some point I need to put some in - is it a tanks out job or would they fit with the tanks in?! (trying to make my life easier...)