free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 169 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lotusfab

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Tanks out job. But if your not worried about originality you could put a different cover in that could be installed without removing the tanks. Tanks out means engine dropped or out! You can borrow my cutter if you wish, just pm me. Easy to cut out and I have a hole location pattern taken on an Essex, thanks to Richard on here.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Original weather strip, about 11 mm wide.IMG_7003.thumb.PNG.7dfd809167fa90bc2b7f25ccb4500632.PNG

Thanks Fabian - I have new tanks which I know are slightly smaller for ease so will have a look at what is doable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skiing said:

Thanks Fabian - I have new tanks which I know are slightly smaller for ease so will have a look at what is doable.

Are you renovating it?

They were put in by the previous owner - stainless I believe. I have had the tank tops off before but not tanks out. 

If you get fed up restoring the car please don't do this to it! :no Although it would look good on my lounge wall!!

half esprit-front.png

half esprit-rear.png

• Like 2

I like it, but am sensing an issue with the MOT! 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

I like it, but am sensing an issue with the MOT! 

You could always wait until 2022. Then it doesn’t need an MOT!

• Haha 1

That half an Esprit has had so much work put into it ! another 50 percent more effort and they could of had a concours car lol 

2 wheeled vehicle: reduced road tax.

Presumably there is one exact camera position where it would look like a complete car. I am surprised some arse hasnt listed it on Ebay!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fabian your attention to details is incredible. I’m 10 mins from Fulchers if you fancy a coffee when your up this way. Stu 

• Like 1

Hi Stuart, thanks. Would like to see your cars! Just need to make some time to pick the seats up.

Fuel filler neck connection

Have you ever looked closely at your fuel cap and noticed it's either off centre or at an angle to the body? If your like me you have spent hours trying to get it right with only marginal success. To get it anywhere near results in strain on the body around the filler connection. Well I have found a solution. A Mocal flexible filler hose. 57 mm. I got it from Daemon tweeks. Disregard the size in the picture, I found 57 mm fits. IMG_7052.thumb.PNG.385ef0c87ff224196585f394bce01b54.PNG

IMG_7053.thumb.PNG.1dd6649d0052f1a9867787b63199679d.PNGI have also managed to source Terminal connectors that are very similar to the ones Lotus used. They are 6 mm spade type witha plastic case. They lock when pressed on. I got them from Autosparks at a very reasonable price.

TBH I had no problem with my S1.

Easy to fit.

It sits centrally and evenly using the parts and materials fitted to the late S1s at the factory in 1978.

You were lucky. Normally the cap sits at an angle unless you put strain on the screws around the filler neck. Some cars are cracked around the filler hole screws because of it.

Mine were also fine originally when removed. Are you sure this isn't as a result of changing the tanks? Its possible the fill pipe isn't exactly in the original configuration? :)

29 minutes ago, TAR said:

Mine were also fine originally when removed. Are you sure this isn't as a result of changing the tanks? Its possible the fill pipe isn't exactly in the original configuration? :)

Given some of the inaccuracies in replacement tanks I wouldn't be surprised.

I rebuilt my S1 and found the cap angle not satisfactory. Had to hold them in place with silicon. The Turbo is the same. Not many people would notice. Strain on the coupling with the original tanks transferred to the body via the screws.  Probably someone on here has seen the cracks that are caused by this around the filler hole in the body?

Fuel Pump 

Gotta love these projects! The original fuel banjo outlet from tank is 10 mm, the banjo bolt is  either 1/2 inch or 13 mm. But the bosche fuel pump inlet is 12 mm. So how did the original 10 mm banjo,outlet connect to the 12 mm bosche pump? Any ideas? I'm guessing maybe the original pump was not 12 mm inlet?

Here's what the banjo looks likeIMG_7061.thumb.JPG.e14f262ab43c6d5042f761ace66b5214.JPGso this has to connect to the 12 mm Bosch fuel pump inlet! The design of this is really lacking unless of course the original pump had a smaller inlet 10 mm?

Anyone else got this set up? Maybe it's not original?

Hi Rich, I think it's original just can't see how it can connect to a 12 mm inlet? Maybe the bosch pump is different? I have had two Lotus fuel pipes supplied and they don't fit! 

I cant remember having any issues here when I replaced all my fuel hoses. Presumably the banjo on the other tank is the same size? It should be that size for the return hose which the stainless braided hose.

Possibly non-original pump? What about the pump to filter and filter to the metal crossover pipe.

BTW on mine that metal pipe has simply cut-off ends with no barb or anything on either end. Really poor installation. Not sure if they are all like this.

Edit: Having looked at some pictures of the pump I remember now, yes it does have that huge inlet. I think all I did was use a hose which was stretchy enough to cover both ends, probably 10mm.