free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 170 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lotusfab

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

The other tank has a smaller banjo forvtge regulator return pipe. the crossover pipe has no bars and is just a pipe, not good! I have checked. I believe the tank outlets were pipes on later turbos, no banjos. The pump is correct from 1986 inlet 12 mm outlet 9 mm. Maybe my 81 car originally had a different pump???

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
30 minutes ago, Andyww said:

BTW on mine that metal pipe has simply cut-off ends with no barb or anything on either end. Really poor installation. Not sure if they are all like this.

Mine is the same....very poor indeed.

Thanks Steve, I thought of that, but then wondered why this has never been brought up before? I then started to think it's because the pump is different

My '85 came with a large hose (~13mm ID) from tank to pump inlet also, but I've not yet had it off the banjo to see the outlet barb size. 

• Like 1

The Lotus pipe that came fits the banjo, but won't fit over the pump. It could probably be stretched onto the pump inlet with silicon lubricant, but not really a satisfactory solution. The cross over pipe which has no barbs risks the pipes coming off. My car had clips on the pipe but interestingly P clips with rubber held the fuel hose to the chasis so the fuel pipe couldn't detach. 

Hope to get a lot more of this done in the next few weeks.

Solution to the fuel pump issue was an 11 mm pipe.

The parts and sizes are correct and original, so thus is how Lotus designed it.

Finally the electrics on the drivers door are installed and tested. Lucas connectors and those locking terminals did the trick. The next problem is I can't put the door handles on because the screws are Philips 10 UNF x 3/4 inch long. The way around all of these screws anomalies is to retap the threads to metric with the next size up. Much cheaper and easier to get hold of. Why then have I ordered 10 of these screws? The wiring on these cars is thankfully very simple. Of course the Turbo is much more complicated than the S1, so the S1 is simplicity itself. It just looks complicated when it's a ball of wires!IMG_2276.thumb.JPG.edf08ff856a344a4570bb72f1251e232.JPG

The best addition in the Turbo is the cigarette lighters. Not because I want to smoke but because alll modern kit needs a 12 volt power source. I should have put a power supply in the S1. If you are rewiring I would add a power socket before it's complete.

• Confused 1

Yes those special chromed screws which fit the interior door handles graunch up after unscrewing a few times even if using the correct size driver.

I keep meaning to try to find some chromed socket-head dome screws, which would likely only be available in metric. Using a ball-ended hex driver they should not graunch up.

Thanks Richard, thats a good price!

If you've been stuck inside your car unable to open the door from inside here's my fix. Wire lock the control wire to the door handle. It has a nasty habit if pinging off when you want to get out! I did this in my S1 and no more problems. Notice the second control wire has a screwed on plate that holds it in the handle. Without this it will pop off also! IMG_7099.thumb.JPG.d8df750690df54a606f17e72d803ecc1.JPGIMG_7101.thumb.JPG.07a85be2c32e49eee8334a51ace68017.JPG

• Like 2

Just put the windows down if you get locked in and do a Dukes of hazard,  although a tad more awkward in an Esprit lol.

Problem is when the window fails to come down! Thought about remote locking, but since  I wire locked the S1 no more issues.

So pleased for you Fabian,  in the final stages now !    Interior looks awesome  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Bloody hell Fabian have you STILL not finished that car yet? 😎

• Like 1

Marvellous mechanical pin remover MK 2, I lost the studding - coach bolt replacement. Two sockets and one washers!IMG_7151.thumb.JPG.b9c429ebeee9d5f00ba9c76a5a332377.JPG

Switch sockets as it comes out, easy!IMG_7152.thumb.JPG.b874dd99f036bf4a2d167feeda087d05.JPG

5 minutes later, it's out. Like me it's has seen better days!IMG_7153.thumb.JPG.1ee6b90bfc63616d9ca0a0f6deeab3ff.JPG

• Like 2