free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 174 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lotusfab

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Speedo drive

IMG_7262.thumb.JPG.9fbff6966cf262c5ed8fceacb2c63f99.JPGIMG_7263.thumb.JPG.0bb22f687eb9824ea9efc6b3532089d0.JPGYou can see there are two O ring positions.. the only this can leak oil if fitted correctly would seem to be through the shaft with the rectangular drive bit. I found an old thread where Harry Marten recommended sticky grease in there. I will try and dismantle it and use grease.

The gearbox job has so far been much easier than I thought. It's pretty simple to understand after a study of all the YouTube videos on Synchromesh gears. All the bearings are now new. This is the second rebuild. The CWP and bearings are also new which is good news as this is the expensive bit. I'm guessing a disintegration of the CWP is what took this car of the road about 17 years ago, judging by the gouges on the inner box. Should have this completed, tested and CWP and drives set up very soon. I have decided to replace the clutch plate. The old one still has wear left but whilst it's all out mightbas we'll renew it. I never could understand  how the circlip that fits in the primary shaft works. Now it's all out its very very simple to understand. I will put some picture on here to explain.

Yes no adjustment. I recall 5th also no adjustment on the fork.

Harry recommends using grease on the speedo drive to prevent the gear and shaft falling out when you are fitting it as there is nothing holding it into the nylon part until its fitted in place. But oil leaks there as there is no oil seal. I think this happens as the box is running backwards in the Esprit. It would be good if there were some way of fitting a seal on the shaft.

That's interesting stuff. I wonder if it will perform like a grease?

I have devised a method of setting the selector selector fork neutral position for the 1/2nd gear shaft without synchro gauges. I also have devised methods of setting the reverse selector fork neutral position and the 4 th gear end stop. They  involve some measuring and the purchasing of shim washers and Aluminium  bar off eBay. Will report back when it's all set up correctly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

That's interesting stuff. I wonder if it will perform like a grease?

From what I recall reading on the automotive forum where it was described the stuff is remarkably tacky and tenacious. It was with those qualities, plus fuel insolubility, in mind that the grease was cited for use as a carburetor sealant for drippy auxiliary venturi joints, and perhaps against vacuum leaks past idle mixture screws on older Webers. I imagine goop of this sort might be purposed in aviation for fuel reserve valves, where valve lubrication is subordinate to leak management in a slow motion, occasional action. I do not presume it to be a stellar grease by normal standards.

• Like 1

Gearbox rebuild

IMG_7277.thumb.PNG.5223b36ce503f6f8400bd08a901c0b4b.PNGI've been reading this 4. In order to set reverse gear idler position in neutral. Could this be a typo? I'm not aware of a first gear idler? Might they have meant 1st intermediate gear and reverse idler gear? This would make sense. With the first intermediate gear being the one I labelled???

Andy W had a great idea for setting the fork position on the 1/2nd shaft. It came from a Ferrari manual. Put it in neutral, set the fork to the centre with the synchro sleeve. Then select first and second gear  measuring the synchro sleeve clearance on both sides adjusting the fork position till they are equal.

Gearbox

Unless your a real enthusiast and have some mechanical skill and a lot of time take it to Alan Voigt or Harry Martens!

having said that I'm a bit keen and have just installed all of the selector shafts. I quite enjoyed this job and have derived a great deal of satisfaction from it. The only one left to adjust is the 3/4 shaft end adjustment. It's not difficult but very time consuming and with out the Lotus tools you have to be a bit inventive. This will be sweet as a nut! Just wire lock to put on, then the 5 th gear. Loctite 518 used to seal it up. I have tested all of the interlock plungers and gear operation, all working very well. I used the tool in the picture to set the fork on the 1/2 shaft. The gear idler I useda 3 mm piece of steel. Make sure you get the set screws correct on the rear casing. They are different lengths! IMG_7289.thumb.JPG.e3963bd55c958f53ab5173531290d08f.JPGIMG_7290.thumb.JPG.8447e3c93578db154f18221aad384285.JPG

• Like 1

IMG_7292.thumb.PNG.825e0220446e953d55fe4bae2ec85372.PNGThis looked like it should have an oil seal. Having checked the parts manual it doesn't. So there nothing to stop oil leaking  round it. Solution silicon or an O ring. Any ideas?

Interestingly there's a grease nipple on the angle drive. 

There should be an O-ring there.

Where there is no oil seal is on the actual shaft which the gear is connected to. Oil leaks out into the right angle drive.

It makes sense for a O ring,  but I can't find it in the parts manual. The Anglw drive has a grease nipple. If you block the hole opposite with a finger when you top it up the grease is forced down the shaft. Maybe enough to seal it? You can see the hole in the centre of the angle drive. If you block this the grease is forced up the shaft.IMG_7293.thumb.JPG.232fc33969ae0ae604d3b95e96cd3917.JPG5 th gear in. Should finish the gearbox tomorrow.

IMG_7294.thumb.JPG.82bddde8b37bacf08517da09db53a2d5.JPG

Thats a good point, maybe regularly filling up the angle drive with grease might help.

Harry has mantioned this issue before, on the Citroen the rotation of the gear throws oil away from the speedo drive but on the Esprit it throws oil directly at it. Using synthetic such as redline makes gearbox oil leaks worse.

I wonder why Lotus moved the right angle from the other end of the speedo cable on the S1 to the gearbox end. It would be much easier to seal up just the cable exiting the box. The only function of the right angle is to reverse the direction of the speedo cable so can be anywhere.

• Like 1

just need to source a grease that's impervious to gearbox oil.

Gearbox

just set the endstop position on the 4 th gear selector. Core plugs back in and all wire locked. Rear casing just about to go on and the top covers - should be finished today!IMG_7299.thumb.JPG.5e7dfd2186c6eee6a385895d2846907b.JPGIMG_7300.thumb.JPG.588519ddee1745763a5222775099e444.JPGIMG_7301.thumb.JPG.6c5f31a64c901a06a30870c3e1cdf99c.JPG

Very pretty, but will it work?

• Haha 1

No - because you have forgotten that the silencer mount attaches to the rear cover!   🙂

Edited by 910Esprit
  • Haha 2

I am sure it will be fine Fabian,  your skills are pretty damn good chap with two Esprit builds under your belt,  ok 1 and 3/4 lol ,  do not underestimate yourself !

• Like 1

A

Well just some washers order then the diff. Bearing pre load and backlash to set. Oh and the exhaust system! IMG_7303.thumb.JPG.b0a407a66c655152f7a28adff16fb3c4.JPGIMG_7304.thumb.JPG.a358032e41e6085eb063a6753372a842.JPGIMG_7305.thumb.JPG.7553e894ff1f972611737476c40312c6.JPGI was going to sort the exhaust mount later. Now it looks as if I'll have another job! 

Well I wouldn't have got any sleep so found some M7 washers and the exhaust mount! Tested gear changes - real smooth! Once I get some Redline in there! Coated in ACF50! IMG_7306.thumb.JPG.5b1f1b12400d8f925a8b1d78ea51fa49.JPG

Ordered a 2.5 x 22 mm O ring fir the speedo outer drive. Hopefully it will fit! 

8 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

just need to source a grease that's impervious to gearbox oil.

Recall my earlier reply citing the stuff sold via Aircraft Spruce as I expect it would serve the purpose.

Cheers