free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 184 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lotusfab

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

IMG_7882.thumb.JPG.b29019a7fb21081015aad0d1562b79c9.JPGIMG_7883.thumb.JPG.544f06092eae3d823f7b94b6bba5b38b.JPGNew exhaust fitted. Fits well inside the new heat sheilding.

Trial fit of tailpipe. 

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 26/08/2019 at 05:30, Lotusfab said:

Thanks Richard. That confirms it. The coil box is all wrong. My next problem has been found! Anyone got a coil box to sell? 

Hello Fabian,

I'm on my way out to the shop momentarily, will try to access the coil box I recovered from an 82 Dry Sump for a look.

• Like 1

... and now for the good news, bad news moment: I was recently examining what is likely the part desired, however my work since has situated the body where it makes access to the related stash impossible. No easy way to move it so cannot commit further for the next 2 weeks or so.

Hate to see your patience taxed mate.

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

thanks for looking. I have had some unbelievable luck. I managed to buy one from eBay! It's totally complete - whatsvtye chances of that? 

• Like 2

IMG_0015.thumb.JPG.72f8ff1e57b9a24a443f2475355b49aa.JPGIMG_0016.thumb.JPG.23a5d70e32714d1b0e81bde7eeadf6d2.JPGWell looks ok from the front. Rear not so good! 

My brake woes  continue. I would say I'm now near to expert on the rear calipers. I have taken them apart, put them back together and taken them on and off so many times! 😫😫😫😫😡

Well why doesn't the handbrake work?

I have bought two more new pistons. The ratchet stem on the back if the pistons is the same. The problem is the caliper ratchet is worn. It's impossible to tell this by looking, but easy to test for when the caliper is apart. If the piston and ratchets are working properly engage them both and twist to engage the teeth. You should not be able to  compress the piston against the caliper mechanism. If it slips it's worn. In my case the caliper part is worn and the piston is ok. This is the worst case scenario. I need a used caliper!!! On top of that the sleeve nut on the Turbo boost pipe has sheared off at the waste gate end! 😫😫😫😫😫

Never mind I will fix all of this!IMG_0010.thumb.JPG.60b7288f07d86a75d02f9f61404a7b36.JPGso if you mesh them like this you should nit be able to push them together. If they slip, one side or both is worn out!

Caliper rear left or right available anyone?

I can take the mechanism out of either side caliper and get this working! 

You'll find a pair, but they're now becoming quite rare. Once that fine rachet mechanism becomes worn they're toast.  I thought you'd know that been Mr Spy Who Loved Me.

I'll PM you a question I have about late S1 rear fuel line routing....

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 1

I never did them on the S1 as Dave Noble, the previous owner, had restored the chassis, engine and brakes. They are very simple once you seee how they work, like the rest of the car. Of course the Turbo only resembles the S1 externally. In all,other areas it's a different car. I love my S1 and its iconic,  but engineering wise the Turbo is streets ahead literally! 

Brakes are identical however.

Though I uprated the fronts which included vented disks.

When I reviewed the parts manual for the Turbo there were so many more systems and components. The resto cost far exceeds that of the S1!  

Quarter lights trim bits done!IMG_0028.thumb.JPG.22c77eed211ae5564af4fd47cb02d3f9.JPGoIMG_0029.thumb.JPG.da82fd567946af7c55f13bfa1a953af7.JPG

They have to come off again for the engine surround!

Have you got the original storage bag for in there Fabian?

Hi Steve, sadly no. I have to buy one from S and J or get Steve Fulcher to make me one. Has yours got any carpet when you remove the bag?

1 hour ago, Lotusfab said:

Hi Steve, sadly no. I have to buy one from S and J or get Steve Fulcher to make me one. Has yours got any carpet when you remove the bag?

No carpet under the bag - the only carpet in the boot is the 2 pieces beside the rear side windows that you already have. Carpets weren’t used in the boot area until the bag was deleted - I’d guess that change took place in MY1984. The bag is cool from a aesthetics perspective but it’s certainly not a “coolbag”😰😉

Edit : just checked the one that SJ sell (pictured) and to be fair it looks very much like the one in my car, and isn’t as expensive as I thought it might be.👍

E0D62699-CFF1-4FFA-9CFF-5D6171A08244.jpeg

• Like 1

My original boot bag is like new....probably because I removed it, and spent far too much time sitting in that boot space tinkering! :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The one in the pic looking at it closer looks more like the top is some sort of plastic, whereas the original is all cloth. It will still do the job though. 

16 minutes ago, RichardJGC said:

My original boot bag is like new....probably because I removed it, and spent far too much time sitting in that boot space tinkering! 🙂

How are you getting on with your resto Richard? Will it be finished this year or more likely into next?

Someone's been messing with my engine bay surround it has had carpet glued on it! Just been making fibreglass repairs, to the surrounds. Nearly done! Awful job. This has become a bit of a chore after 3 years of hard work! Never again!!!

I've had to replace or repair everything! Can't believe I'm still doing work! The heat shields were all damaged or missing. My final shield repair just done! It was split so I had to reinforce the rear. Then VHT high temp paint. 

• Haha 1

Now I have to clean the glue off!! 😡😡😡😡😡

Oh and replace all the foil! 

• Like 1

Can’t be far away now though - nearer the end than the start👏👏

1 hour ago, stephenwhyte said:

How are you getting on with your resto Richard? Will it be finished this year or more likely into next?

This time next year....maybe 😉. It’s the last 10% that can take the time.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, RichardJGC said:

I’m sure Fabian will agree with you there😬😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RichardJGC said:

Any pics?

4 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Any pics?

Lots....but I figure when you’ve finished your car there might just be the need for another blog...so am holding back 😀

• Like 2

You better get ready Richard. I'm nearly there having finished all fiberglassing yesterday. Like all things five years of practice and I'm now pretty good at it! Engine bay surround and heat shield repaired! So, not much left to do. The secret of fiberglassing is getting the correct materials and measuring the mixture quantities properly. I use a pipette for catalyst  and a beaker with ml on it. 

Brake caliper

Turbo boost pipe

two top fuel lines

ignition box

quarter windows

fit bay surround

then start and test engine.

tailgate fitting

Mot and number plate change

skis and racks

drive it! 

Of course there's the ongoing stuff - suspension set up and tuning, which I do myself. 

Turbo boost pipe

the lower brass nut has sheared of inside the wastegate😫. Because the wastegate I believe is not purpose built it's very difficult to remove because of the inner nut. It's 17 mm. you can't get a socket on it. The only way I found is to saw off a 17 mm spanner to make it short enough. You probably could grind a ring spanner down to make it thinner. Other than that take the entire exhaust system to pieces to get the wastegate off! The second problem is the Sleeve nut. I believe they are imperial gas fittings. Still working out where to buy one. Any the usual people have run out. That's the problem with most parts. They are more and more difficult to find and some of the repro ones need fetling to get them to work.

Maybe the biggest problem still lies ahead, making the ski racks! 

I was thinking about the ski racks.... how about 3D resin printing them?