free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 185 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lotusfab

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Hi Fabian.

Ski Racks.  Polycarbonate. It's super strong, cuts well, glues well, you can put threads into it and it holds a lustre paint finish.  I've a set for my S3.  I've a bunch of photos and drawings to send you as stimulus (will need an email) but for you and other Lotus owning skiiers (a niche group) who are interested then a full story is on my Instagram feed 'LotusAndy5'  check it out.

Lovely Max (who some will know from Max500) tells me the original was a balsa wood prop and the skis were never attached securely.   Remember if this is going to work, you might need to tailor the way your skis are actually fixed to the racks.  I've drilled holes into my tailgate and support the racks using a backplate and spacers in the tailgate cavity...  

Happy to discuss at length and drive over in person.

(Shots below from production and prior to fixing in place, hence the gaps created came from the weight of the skis and the surface finish was mid sanding).

Andy

IMG_4943.JPG

IMG_5332.JPG

Edited by ANDYR
  • Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Funny. I'm a Lotus owner, and owner of 2 Bond cars, as well as being a long time skier and ski mountaineer.

The Esprit is probably the least practical car to use for skiing trips.

My advice is to leave it to movies, not the highway. Amusing though.

Ha ha - good point.

It'll fail to start on a Jan morning in the alps and steam up, stall or spin off a hairpin.  BUT any car looks much cooler with skis on it, and the Lotus does it the best :) 

We're off to Cortina in Jan/Feb 2020.  Just need a final tweak to the racks than then (expensively) freight her down to GVA where we'll pick her up from a more reliable and relaxing plane journey.

on the drive back I don't care...

• Like 1

Andy, are you really doing Cortina in the Esprit? That is cool. The main thing for me would be lack of adequate heating... I would put it on snow tires and traction-wise it should be fine (I did a run to Val Thorens in an XJS V12 in snow and it ploughed through everything, although it must weigh twice the Esprit!) 

Oh and you might be able to get the car train? when you load it up on the train and travel separately and then pick up at the other end... 

Hi Henry,

Good to see you on the chat.  Yes, that's the plan.  My Brother-in-Law and I are lifetime skiiers and ticking off all the resorts.  His father's favourite place was Cortina, so the trip planned is to honour that as he passed away last year.

I was in  'shipmycar' mode and had lost hope car trains existed. what' the weblink and i'll take a look? Any skiiers reading this will know of the debauchery in the early 90's "Snow Train" from Calais to Bourg...  Sorry to now turn this excellent rebuild story into a snow report.

snow tyres - check.

Heater.  yes.  Any suggestions on how to boost the power from that thing in the bonnet?  Although I've seen heaters that run off cig sockets.

@Fabain - the offer to drive over and talk racks still exists.  For some reason I though you were in Surrey.  I'm utterly inspired by the rebuild and to think they did this each time they made an Esprit...

Edited by ANDYR
  • Like 1

On 03/09/2019 at 16:19, ANDYR said:

Hi Fabian.

Ski Racks.  Polycarbonate. It's super strong, cuts well, glues well, you can put threads into it and it holds a lustre paint finish.  I've a set for my S3.  I've a bunch of photos and drawings to send you as stimulus (will need an email) but for you and other Lotus owning skiiers (a niche group) who are interested then a full story is on my Instagram feed 'LotusAndy5'  check it out.

Lovely Max (who some will know from Max500) tells me the original was a balsa wood prop and the skis were never attached securely.   Remember if this is going to work, you might need to tailor the way your skis are actually fixed to the racks.  I've drilled holes into my tailgate and support the racks using a backplate and spacers in the tailgate cavity...  

Happy to discuss at length and drive over in person.

(Shots below from production and prior to fixing in place, hence the gaps created came from the weight of the skis and the surface finish was mid sanding).

Andy

IMG_4943.JPG

IMG_5332.JPG

Excellent! Will attempt to make myself some very soon!

Fuel lines

Had Think Automotive make me up two fuel lines for the pressure regulator to carbs. Unfortunately we copied the ones that were in and they are too short. Any straining on these an absolute no no. So back there ride to get them remade.

I believe there should be two earth straps on the carbs. These are missing. Anyone have any pics or know where they connect? I believe one end goes to the inlet manifold nut, but where do they connect to on the carbs? 

Here's a pic of mine on removal. They're located on the one the pump cover screws and the other end as you say to the inlet manifold nut. 

20190415_092256.jpg

• Like 2

Can't find any info on this in the manuals?

Engine surround repaired and installed with new foil heatsheild and heat resistant paint. There's going to be a lot of tweaking to get it all to fit!IMG_0071.thumb.JPG.0a8552fc78609e3799c38083bb814171.JPGIm refurbing the new coil box, here's what one looks like untouched!IMG_0066.thumb.JPG.054e5ccb48a271cebb68f62a0642d7bb.JPG

It came with its own adhesive backing. It's not very good. I expect it to detach then will use industrial super glue.

M having trouble getting the left and right surrounds to fit now the engine but is in. Nothing's easy on a Lotus!

Once I solve the boost pipe problem I can get the coil box sorted and have a start! The boost pipe seems to have imperial  gas fittings! The first sleeve nut I ordered didn't fit 3/8.

Next two on their way!

• Like 1

Well I got to the bottom of this today. The Turbo pipe sleeve nut fittings are 1/2 inch BSB (British standard brass) 26 TPI

• Like 1

On 11/09/2019 at 14:32, Lotusfab said:

It came with its own adhesive backing. It's not very good.

Correct, its utterly hopeless, in fact it would be better if SJ supplied this without the adhesive as removing it to use proper glue takes ages.

Didnt know the carbs were supposed to have earth strap but makes sense. Reminds me of a story from years ago, I had a friend with an Elan which he kept having to change the throttle cable on, as it would break every few months. He could not understand why, until he realised the big engine earth strap had frayed through so when cranking the starter the entire 50 amps or so of cranking current was flowing through the throttle cable as the sole earth return which was causing it to melt!

• Haha 1

The 5/16 sleeve nuts fit from the above supplier. 

Nearly!IMG_0087.thumb.JPG.084f98a21ef4f33fad956aa887674ceb.JPGIMG_0088.thumb.JPG.ae98b9264b4a94c5aba2a98bc251b36f.JPG

Restoring everything is killing me!IMG_0089.thumb.JPG.bf9056931717f966f05f5fdb7da00c25.JPGrear heatsheild!

• Like 2

It looks fantastic.  But if I were you....  I would have fired it up before fully assembling  (particularly the plenum)   Makes it much easier to set the timing dynamically  (that dizzy is tricky to get to with one hand) , check for leaks etc.  When is the grand 'firing up'?  

Edited by 910Esprit
  • Like 1

Fingers crossed for you Fabian on the big start up   :thumbup:

A

Nearly finished the ignition box. Just need to locate my soldering iron! Luckily I got the loom with the box. Unluckily I had already made a new one!