free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 186 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lotusfab

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ignition box connected! Only needs fuel, water, overflow pipe!

IMG_0092.thumb.JPG.cf3a2d10570e23f4df0274569aee6dab.JPG

• Like 1

Only fuel and water now! 

Engine start tomorrow maybe?

• Like 1

You have got to video the initial start up.

We are all willing it to fire up and purr like a kitten, or roar like a lion (whichever you prefer) :)

• Like 2

It's getting there......

5 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

I'm scared to start it! 

Best advice for you at this point is patience. After all you've gone through to get here pause to review all critical points and be calm and clear minded when lighting up the engine. Better than scrambling into it impulsively and suffering a setback.

• Like 2

It's a worry! I have one clip for the breather pipe. Not too worried about that. It's all the other stuff! I shall fuel it and put the coolant in. It will probably run really badly until everything is adjusted, I hope! About 3 1/2 years now. I'm not rushing this I don't want it to blow up! 😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dont forget to fire up the fuel pump first and check/adjust fuel pressure before starting it. Leave pump running for a while and check no fuel leaks.

• Like 2

Crank it over a few times also with the HT lead to the coil disconnected,  it will get some oil circulated around the engine and the turbo also   Just filling the coolant and allowing it settle for a few hours,  this way you will see leaks also which are always common on new surfaces and new hoses if you used the original rubber that can potentially weep coolant.   Silicone hoses i have found never weep it must be the softer material !

A

Yep caliper is now working with the handbrake. It was a worn ratchet. 

• Like 1

When’s start up Fabian?🤩 Camera at the ready!🙏

Good luck Fabian 

• Like 1

Well thanks Andy, Steve and Chris. 

The first problem the fuel pump was ceased. We took it apart rebuilt it and it didn't leak. Fuel pressure was good. Then it started but I had forget to screw the spark plugs in fully! So after the spark plugs were tightened restarted it. Started pretty easily but no oil pressure! Turned off,  spark plugs out- no matter what we did no oil pressure. So checked  the thermstat all ok. Stuck. Any ideas? The pump was rebuilt by Pete at PNM  and checked for wear. It took a while to build pressure with a drill. Some months back. The oil pick up oilive is new. Could this be the problem?

How long was it running before you switched off Fabian. 

Although I didnt fully rebuild mine, the crank and cam seals were done, along with the thrust bearing, and the oil pump olive replaced along with all necessary gaskets.

It took about 30-45 seconds of running to register oil pressure at the dash guage....and I primed the cooler first as well

• Like 2

I agree. Just removing a full oil filter for maintenance access can mean that it can then take a while for decent oil pressure to register at the gauge (Veglia). Be patient.

• Like 2

Had it running at idle for some minutes begfore I bottled it. Didn't really lift the revs above idle. Run it about four times.  I may have another go after pumping oil through the Turbo pipe and time it.

Could the pressure relief valve in the oil pump be stuck open? Or is it just there's no oil in the pump and it needs to runs slightly above idle for some time?