free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 188 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lotusfab

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Oily Knees by chance Dave.........................................

• Like 1

A

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sounds very 1960s.

Down to the swap to Smiths gauges probably.

Well done chaps...

dont want to pee on the parade, but have you identified where the debris was coming from? Hopefully it was something foreign in the part rather than throughout the system! 

And Dan, lets just say I was glad I'd already removed the carpets .

When I took the engine apart the wire gauze araldite had disintegrated. Even though it was spotless outside I didn't realise the valve was a piston with a spring and could be pushed in. Lesson here always clean the valve by using a similar method to the above . Although the debris was tiny it was enough to jam the valve.

That’s great news Fabian! It’s always something small that creates a big problem!

• Like 1

Thanks Lads and especially for the help and input!

4 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

IMG_0108.thumb.PNG.6f7aee37fc70338c25b66b644caa8e13.PNG

For a moment there I thought you'd bought a wetbike!!

• Haha 2

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Here's the pressure relief valve and he oil flow diagram that will help anyone else with this issue. I would say do not run the engine for more that 60 secs with no oil pressure indication. Check the oil pressure valve for smooth operation during the rebuild. If you haven't and no oil pressure take it off and check it. It's easy to do. IMG_0099.thumb.PNG.0541050207212b836a83c5f1e1fe0202.PNGIMG_0100.thumb.PNG.85f0f3b809ea0c1dd75e86aa63d461f0.PNG

• Like 1

Maybe this valve causes a lot of oil pressure issues and no one thinks to check it? It's really easy when the engine is in bits to confirm it's free and closed!

No doubt checking the condition of the relief valve should be mandatory when the pump assembly is serviced. I see the add-on restricting orifice is depicted in your diagram and would caution anyone taking that as best practice. There were oil return problems with the earliest 907's which burdened Jensen substantially, perhaps terminally, but those were remedied by other means. The flow of oil to the head serves to lubricate tappets and cams, obviously enough, but also provides the medium by which heat is transferred out of the valve springs. 

Cheers

Tuning

So what is the ignition timing setting?

IMG_0120.thumb.PNG.f3a3a371003f1724b5535b6e078c1a20.PNGSo 12 degrees BTDC?

The plan is to set it to 12 degrees BTDC and Morgan carbtune the balance and mixture. The fuel pressure is set. The Turbo side presumably takes care of itself. When does the Turbo cut in and how much boost should it have?

The rebuilt fuel,pump is still not leaking!  However, in the interests of reliability I will fit the new one I got from PNM. Incidentally, I have put a PNM oil filter on to acknowledge Petes help with the engine rebuild, all the other mechanical stuff and tricky to get parts. 

• Like 1

The 12 degrees BTDC is purely for the initial start,   You now set the timing dyamically to 28 degrees BTDC with engine running at +3500RPM  (to ensure mechanical advance is fully deployed)

• Like 1

12 degrees BTDC is correct for static timing. Once done you need to set the dynamic timing using a strobe light to 28 degrees at 4000 rpm. 

The turbo doesn't really cut in, it starts to add boost pressure as the exhaust gas spins the turbo faster. The max PSI is dependent on the wastegate spring. The wastegate should have the rating printed on it. This is the max pressure before it opens. :)

• Like 1

It's getting there......

Ok Silly question time. Which one is the brake light the left or right red lense???IMG_0126.thumb.JPG.32aa20fadfede0cdaf5bec8374cb8df0.JPG

lol, only air through the turbo. I'd be worried about having atomised fuel passing through a turbo at 1400 degrees! :)

It's getting there......

Look at image at 1:24 the turbo is clearly downstream of a single giant SU carb.   i.e. the fuel air mixture is compressed, which is not that unusual for forced induction!

Edited by 910Esprit

When the Turbo Esprit came out many observers were surprised that the carbs were after the turbo and had boosted air blown through them, without blowing up!