free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 192 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

• Gold FFM
On 30/09/2019 at 18:59, ChrisJ said:

Hi Chris

Are you still in contact with Nick:? Say hi from me. You could also ask him about the cling-film :) - That was one of the reasons for the concours condition

There seem to be a few images missing from the gallery -  I have a whole sequence of these.

y4mLUbUH4BJQpHsC1jVGopzS4h5FmRoSTpdsXguo

y4mZUrjzceEpaD8-jldKlNZx3OgWXSPrwKag_wfe

Yup, I'm still in contact with Nick. If you PM me your email address I can put you in touch if you'd like me to?

cheers

-Chris

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks Dave. Nearly there on the tuning its within 3 mm but I want it spot on. Morgan carbtune, I had a lot of practice!   Slight oil leak form the rear cam cover on the inlet, easily fixed. I should

Posted Images

Dellortos

Im a novice with these sort of carbs, apart from tuning them. I have been looking into the Dellorto operation. I started the car today and it seemed unbalanced. Also the idle had dropped. After pulling  the leads off and checking No2 had stopped firing! I put an earlier flat spot  from idle down to the ignition. Well Im lucky No2 had stopped firing. It forced ne to investgate further. I removed the idle jet and found it was blocked! I cleaned it and switched both  the main and idle jets with No1 cylinder. Put it all back and No2 is working again. And so is No1.  I read the idle jet supplies fuel for idle but  the mixture screw adjusts the idle mixture. The idle jet helps the progression from idle to main jet when accelerating. Thats interesting because I think it explans the flat spots on acceleration which seems to have gone now I cleaned the jet out! 

The idle jets and holders are the two on the left with the rubber washers. The tiny bit at the bottom is the idle jet , which pulls off. These are 40s which means 0.4 mm. (Hole size in jet). The fuel travels up through the jet from the fuel well and is mixed with air which enters through the side holes.  Heres a good diagram of the fuel. I dont think its a Dellorto but the principle is the same. I now have to retune the engine as the settings might have changed!  The good thing about the Dellortos is you can access the idle and main jets through the top cover very easily. Took about five minutes to get them out. interestingly all of the parts were cleaned in a special solution in a sonic bath!!!IMG_0246.thumb.PNG.ee1e8690cc7703bda349708a73e2f51b.PNGIMG_0239.thumb.PNG.dbea5e5ed280e2e3cd58ccc45813e9b8.PNGOnly one quater window now and the tailgate to finish and its done! 

Well its nearly there! The last window just went in. The tailgate is nearly ready for spraying. This took a great deal of work. I have decided to renew all of the idle jets. Size 40. Just need to fit the tailgate. Then its MOT and  number plate change! 

Ohh, the dash is coming out again. I have a really good condition temp guage to fit - hope its calibrated! 

Never ever put the steering wheel back on, quater windows back in, drvers seat or windscreen until everything is working. Its so much easier! 

• Like 2

Temerature control

Well I have now replaced the temperature guage with another one. It over reads as well, but its about 10 degrees and its more consistent upto 90 degrees. I have a fan switch that operates at 90 degrees and turns off at 80 degrees.

I now have a laser thermometer and have extensively tested the system. At 82 degrees the thermostat opens. Water flows through the rad. The fans do not come on until the temperature builds up to over 90degres at the rad. The temperature guage is reading about 100 degrees. It stays there and the car seems happy. Temperature wise its all good. Indication wise the system is more of a trend indicator. I think if it started to go above the 100 mark you would have an issue! I may have a go at recalibrating the old guage. Maybe they are all like this? 

Tailgate louvres now have the brace fitted and are ready for fiberglassing. 

My Smiths temp gauge tracks pretty well with the GM sensor I have mounted in my intake manifold coolant return passage. Looking at 100 on the gauge would raise my stress level, hopefully it will calibrate to normal. Have you double checked the voltage stabilizer output voltage? I assume with all the parts swapping  that all the connectors are clean and tight. 

I wonder if a trimmer resistor in the sensor circuit would raise or lower the displayed temp without disrupting the calibration curve? 

• Like 1

Yep,thanks Thomas. I have renewed the voltage stablizer, instrument, sender and put new copper connectors on. 

I may try putting new contacts on the guage wires. I only did those to the regulator. Trouble is its a tiny gap - like brain surgery unless you take the whole binnacle appart!

Ok. I have now replaced the sender, instrument and all contacts in the temperature system.  The temperature guage still overreads. The calibration is wrong! 

I have been tuning the engine after replacing all of the idle jets. Im still not happy with it as there is a slight hunting at idle. Im replacing the ignition coil and ballast resistor with a mega spark luminition. I will retune and see if this corrects the hunting issue. 

All the panels are now painted  and once I have replaced the ABS glass trim the tailgate can go back on. 

The louvres are finished and ready for paint, but I think I may do this aftervthe ski racks are sorted.

Got a new grille on the internet, shame to open it!IMG_0290.thumb.JPG.524ef659dee10cba8aa9a8212535c78f.JPGIMG_0292.thumb.JPG.006f48a2fbba52102a422b534e7cab66.JPG

The closer you get to the end the more jobs that keep appearing! Still this has to be it now surely! 

Tailgate is ready for fitting  just need bolts. Engine cover needs catches, hinges and the louvre. Then engine bay trim and its done. Apart from painting the tailgate Louvre, but that has to wait until the ski rack design is complete. 

• Like 2

My Dellortos have the spring fitted in the pump jets. I believe they act as a fine filter. Has anyone else fitted them? I am considering removing them, but they are shown on the parts diagram.IMG_0275.thumb.PNG.07f965ef1fae385ed3b2ae6db448c2be.PNG

At the moment when I start the car, which is much easier when the battery is low with the new ignition coil, the engine dies if you try to accelerate. It only happens when the engine is cold and has just been started. After five minutes or so its fine.  I wonder if the spring filters are an issue. I may remove them and see what effect it has.

Incidently I fitted the spring filters, they werent in the crbs when I took them apart. Maybe they block to easily so Lotus removed them?

28 minutes ago, 910Esprit said:

Are you using the fuel enrichment device duing start/warm up cycle, or relying on just extra jabs on throttle?   

Good question because the behaviour sounds normal when the choke is not being used when cold.

Mine is set up correctly and will just about run when cold without choke but very lumpy and will not accelerate at all, it will die. Choke is needed for start then halfway for the first 5 mins. If no choke is needed for driving when cold it probably indicates the carbs are running rich.

I think its possible to start and drive when cold without choke by constantly jabbing the throttle and using the pumps to keep it rich as Steve refers to, so if that method is not working then the pump jets might not be working, best way to check this is look into the intakes and activate throttle, you can see the streams of fuel.

• Like 2

Thanks chaps, yep you could be correct. i had stowed the choke as soon as she started. I need to get some more experience. Just about to get the tailgate louvres sprayed over the next few days.

On 04/09/2019 at 15:34, ANDYR said:

Hi Henry,

Good to see you on the chat.  Yes, that's the plan.  My Brother-in-Law and I are lifetime skiiers and ticking off all the resorts.  His father's favourite place was Cortina, so the trip planned is to honour that as he passed away last year.

I was in  'shipmycar' mode and had lost hope car trains existed. what' the weblink and i'll take a look? Any skiiers reading this will know of the debauchery in the early 90's "Snow Train" from Calais to Bourg...  Sorry to now turn this excellent rebuild story into a snow report.

snow tyres - check.

Heater.  yes.  Any suggestions on how to boost the power from that thing in the bonnet?  Although I've seen heaters that run off cig sockets.

@Fabain - the offer to drive over and talk racks still exists.  For some reason I though you were in Surrey.  I'm utterly inspired by the rebuild and to think they did this each time they made an Esprit...

For extra heat fit a webasto night heater.

• Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"