free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 193 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lotusfab

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

On 11/10/2019 at 16:19, Lotusfab said:

not quite sure what ill do after this, maybe therapy and a holiday!

You need to do the white one next :)

• Haha 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Dont do what I tend to do, and after spending loads of time getting everything perfect, sell the car :(

• Haha 1

Brilliant stuff Fabian - it’s been a long journey but almost there now. Once you hit 200 pages.....you should be done😉

• Thanks 1

Wow, hadnt noticed that!

I just had an embarassing trip out. After the triumph of the mot I went out and broke down. My new fuel pump failed! Now I have to find out why. An embarassing tow home by a Landrrover! This is mybfirst Lotus breakdown. I suspect contamination, but then everything is new? Although it did run for a few minutes with no fuel which may have caused an issue! 

If it's a new SU pump bought some time ago it may be a manufacturing fault, as mine failed last year, with just a few engine tests on the driveway with no road miles. Another restorer had 2 SU fuel pumps fail also. They were all purchased at the same time and probably the same manufacturing batch.

SU replaced them all under guarantee, and said a grub screw had worked loose in each case.

Its a Turbo so wont be an SU pump. These use a Bosch type fuel injection pump.

But others have also reported these pumps failing early too.  

• Like 1

There is no filter between the tanks and the pump , so contaminaton is always a risk as fuel runs through the entire pump  (Lucas 4FP) - Original tanks have a strainer (unserviceable) at the fuel outlet.   Maybe afterr market parts omit this?

• Thanks 1

Im starting to think I must add an inline filter before the pump. My S1 has a filter before the carbs and I have never had an issue that is fuel related. I was enjoying the first drive until this happened. The Turbo boost was Impressive. There seemed to be quite a few passers by who were enjoying the fact I had broken down! Never mind I shall confuse the hell out of them when I break down with skis on the car! If its winter I might be able to ski home.😄😄😄😄

The next issue is the suspension. The rear still sits too high. It needs a full geometric align. I have new springs for the rear but I cant see they will have much effect on ride height. Maybe adjustable shocks are the only way to go. 

Im trying to source another fuel pump. The one I had on there was quite noisy. Can anyone recomend one?

8 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

There is no filter between the tanks and the pump , so contaminaton is always a risk as fuel runs through the entire pump  (Lucas 4FP) - Original tanks have a strainer (unserviceable) at the fuel outlet.   Maybe afterr market parts omit this?

As everything is new on my car including the tanks and all the pipes Im stumped as to why this failed. Ill have to break it apart and check! I need tonsource a sutable inline filter. There are a lot that are for racing cars that may be suitable. 

I'm using a generic Walbro 255lph pump on mine.  Probably overkill for this application, but common and inexpensive here with the right input barb diameter.

Thanks Thomas will,have a look at that.

19 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Im starting to think I must add an inline filter before the pump. My S1 has a filter before the carbs and I have never had an issue that is fuel related. I was enjoying the first drive until this happened. The Turbo boost was Impressive. There seemed to be quite a few passers by who were enjoying the fact I had broken down! Never mind I shall confuse the hell out of them when I break down with skis on the car! If its winter I might be able to ski home.😄😄😄😄

The next issue is the suspension. The rear still sits too high. It needs a full geometric align. I have new springs for the rear but I cant see they will have much effect on ride height. Maybe adjustable shocks are the only way to go. 

Im trying to source another fuel pump. The one I had on there was quite noisy. Can anyone recomend one?

Fabian, the rear bushes should not be torqued up until the engine is in and driven for a bit. You may find the top link bushes have shredded themselves if, allow the body to settle.

Thanks. I havnt  torqued them yet, but the suspension is still high. It could be the adjustable upper links. I need to getbthe geometry correct then assess.

Hold on you actually got that plate officially? 

• Thanks 1

Stick it on a “W” and stick the “X” plates in the boot, just been to a show sir! 

Did you get that on DVLA I am surprised that was still available. Unless I missed something in this thread 

23 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Yep, my new plate. Nearly the end of a very long journey!

Fabian, I'm no where near finished my Esprit to your level or standard but your posts have been invaluable when it comes to my rebuild, many thanks. 

• Thanks 1

On 17/10/2019 at 07:37, Lotusfab said:

IMG_0676.thumb.JPG.87df466181a7586936cbedeba8d9804d.JPGIMG_0370.thumb.JPG.3c4dde08da9ae524f70247cfbec7fb1b.JPG

Great attention to detail Fab, the TSWLM Esprit has a drooping left side headlight pod....you've replicated it perfectly on your car! Car is looking fab....can't wait to see it out and about.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Stuart O said:

Fabian, I'm no where near finished my Esprit to your level or standard but your posts have been invaluable when it comes to my rebuild, many thanks. 

Glad they are of use. Good luck with the rebuild.

11 hours ago, v8vantage said:

Great attention to detail Fab, the TSWLM Esprit has a drooping left side headlight pod....you've replicated it perfectly on your car! Car is looking fab....can't wait to see it out and about.

Thanks Roo, I noticed that as well. A weird coincidence, or is it?😄😄😄

I had a quick look at the car to try and find out why the engine cut out. The fuel pump appears to be working. I couldnt hear it against the road noise whenI broke down. The fault I believe lies in the ignition system. Either the new coil  or the lumenition amp. I copied the amp wiring from what was there before. Big mistake!  The circuit and advice from the company who made the amp say never take the positive feed from the ignition coil. Use the feed on the other side of the ballast resistor. Anyhow diagnostics will sort it all out. I look forward to shimming the suspension and perfecting the drive.

Maybe the original Lumenition was OK. They all should be fed from direct 12V from the inertia switch, with the ballast resistor in series with the coil only. Anyway its useful to have a spare since thats pretty much the only electronic item in the car which can fail without warning.