free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 194 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lotusfab

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Thought you’d appreciate Fabian😉

8FED5BFF-1451-454C-910F-07255DA81C36.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There’s a guy on Facebook will make you one for £60. Good value I’d say. He’s recreating quite a few different owners cars.

• Like 1

Well what was wrong? Car extensively examined.  Ignition system rewired. Voltage has increase at the coil. I checked the amp and coil. It gives a really big spark now! That wasnt the problem. I found a broken connectormin the ignition harness, this to my suprise didnt fix it. Well, I was correct the first time. The new fuel pump had failed. It hums when its powered but no pressure. It rattles and has suffered a Mechanical failure. So this time another new pump and an expensive Sytec inline 12 mm filter. This will be fitted before the pump. End of issue I hope.

• Like 1

I believe I mentioned the pump straight off Fabian. Listen to uncle Dave :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Uncle Dave.😄😄

Replaced tailgate struts with sgs. They work but they arnt a perfect fit! 

• Like 1

I fitted SGS struts to the S1. I picked them up from the factory near Derby on my way home from the Midlands. Smart place.

Really good quality, and better than the odd pair SJ had originally sent me. Cheaper too.

• Thanks 1

I have them on mine, excellent. I will be sending them the gullwing door struts from my AZ-1 tomorrow, they can re-gas them if the seals are in spec and these are special non-available struts.

• Thanks 1

Cant argue for the money they are excellent. The issue is the end connetors are different for the Turbo. They sit about 2 mm further out so you cant get a washer on just. a split pin or Rclip. Just the pin is enough to secure the strut though. I have a new fuel pump coming which matches the original spec - allegedly. As we all know thats not always the case. Lets see how long it lasts! I will be rejoining the AA!

Oh I remember that now, on the struts. Just a small application of a bench grinder sorted it.

• Like 1

The Louvres will be ready next week sprayed satin black. Im now starting the ski racks. The objective make them as close as possible to the originals, but fully functional with locks. I shant put any details on here as I dont want to be responsible if someone was to copy them and the design failed. Just pics of the end products. 

I had considered approaching the design team at Thule to let them comment on my design, aftr all they are the experts.

The new pump,supplied by Simon bbc ebay is Lucas 4FP spec. Lets see how long it lasts. It has an anti vibration mount. The inline filter is 12 mm both ends and has a paper filter that can be swapped out. Its mounted on clips. I will fix to the  inner bulkhead. So filter, pump, filter engine. Should be bullet proof after this! 

I was very impressed by the size of the spark given out my the Mega spark 4  coil. Its the largest I have seen. You wouldn't want to get a shock off it! 

Quite easy to test the lumenition amp. Just short the blue and black wires.

Isn't this what happens when you short the wires of a Bond car

• Haha 1

Word of caution regarding powerful spark systems as the Lotus engine, like most modern designs, has a very efficient combustion chamber which does not require much in order to light off the charge at the low boost levels used. What high voltage levels will encourage are ground-fault arcs due to dielectric breakdown. Fit high quality HT leads in all cases and use silicone dielectric grease where the boots fit over the plugs, watch out for cap/rotor failures and keep spares for each on board. 

Cheers

• Like 2

Yes, I was informed that cap and rotor arm failures can be common on S1s and I carry spares just in case.

A lot easier to replace than on a Turbo I expect.

Nothing wrong or awkward about my S1 tailgate.

TBH with at least 3 additional years of development I wouldn't expect the Esprit Turbo to be anything else but be better than an S1.

I have never been able to get the tailgate to work pefectly. The rubber inner tube seal is not effective if the tailgate sits flush. If the spring is adjusted so the tailgate pops up high enough to grt your fingers in the tailgate operation is erratic. The solution secondary seals as per the later cars. Great if you have managed to get it to work. Can you do mine?

I never had any problems TBH.

Even using the original style inner tube seal. Though I have followed the original diligently. Including using the 'D' section foam on the corners under the seal. Gluing both with expensive special Super Glue style stuff. The hatch fits perfectly and pops up with a reassuring 'thunk'.

Adjustment of the latch took a bit of effort, but works well. Though the new cable release is a bit too long I think.

Even the demister circuit works via the hinges. Which I expected to be troublesome.

The hardest parts I found is setting the doors. Both the alignment and drop glass travel. Even with Bill Galbraith's dual up/down relays to help deliver current more efficiently.

Window resistance problems are probably the motors. The permanent magnets loose their magnetism and the torque reduces masively. Easily solved witha new AC Delco motor. The tailgate has annoyed me ever since I put it on. When I get time I may have another go. It needs D seal all the way around in my opinion.

The drop glass runs well, especially with the additional relays fitted to later series. Just not quite well enough when the window frames are aligned to the body. Further adjustment is required that's all.

8" of thin 'D' foam on the rubber seal was only fitted around the corners on my rear hatch. They harden over time, but the new stuff works very well. Pity we don't live closer to each other. We could trade rear hatch fitting and window frame fettling skills!

• Thanks 1

Yep. Would like to see the machine at some point. Are you taking it to the NEC?

No, I don't follow national car shows, so I'm not aware of what's going on at the NEC. It's too far to go besides. Though I still own a place in Worcestershire. I wouldn't be going in the Esprit that's for sure. Have you seen that car park?!

The only way that you're likely to see my car is if you're up in North Yorkshire at any point.