free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 197 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lotusfab

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Hi Steve,

I put both of the cardboard gloveboxes in on my two Esprits after the dash was fitted. Its a tight fit but you can get it in. I reinforced the fuse area on my S1 with fiberglass on the outside of the cardboard. It bonded really well and made it much stronger. The fuse boxes are quite a load on the cardboard.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thank you Fabian! So would it have been better to fit the glovebox to the dash before loading the lot onto the scuttle?

You could try that, but the tricky bit is connecting the fuse boxes with a fixed glove box. Also its far easier to bolt the dash on without the glove box in. 

• Like 2

Tailgate area now matt black under louvres. Looks much better! Anyone got any ideas on the sealant to use? I'm  thinking matt black silicon, and have ordered some. At first I thought dinitrol, buts its difficult to apply and the finish wouldnt be very IMG_0587.thumb.JPG.6ef3e9eca37b4a30f0cb5edb10b06cc0.JPGsmooth.

• Like 2

For anyone building an engine my advice is to set up the pump jets with a fuel quantity check prior to fitting the carbs. I didnt to save time and its now down to trial and error! I may take it all apart again unless Im happy woth the adjustment. I found the engine had a stutter on acceleration and had an idea it might be the pump jets. The manual has an excellent description of pump jet operation, very simple really. 

I read the nut on the bottom of the spring shaft that controls the pump jet arm should be 3 mm up the thread on an old thread. Well thats what I set. I have new pump jet diaphrams and springs? I  hadnt had time to check the operation until now. When the throttle is opened the spring should push against the pump jet lever to feed in the stored pump jet fuel to the pump jet. The engine needs this extra fuel when accelerating. In my case the nut was too far down the shaft. This meant when the throttle was opened the spring wasnt pushing against the lever arm and the diaphram wasnt full of fuel, hence not enough acceleration fuel! Seems to be sorted now, but will need tweeking to achieve optimal progression.

Right, back tonthe build! I willmsilicon the loures in tomorrow ,and report the result.

• Like 1

I found that there were significant inconsistencies between old and new diaphragms and also each rod needed tuning independently to get an equal measure of fuel accoss all chokes - To achieve this I followed the book process of measuring the output at each choke for a given number of strokes.   The best you can hope for by measuring threads etc is a datum or reasonable approximation! 

I used Sikaflex to fit my louvres, which did a great job, but fear they may never come out again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

For anyone building an engine my advice is to set up the pump jets with a fuel quantity check prior to fitting the carbs. I didnt to save time and its now down to trial and error! I may take it all apart again unless Im happy woth the adjustment. I found the engine had a stutter on acceleration and had an idea it might be the pump jets. The manual has an excellent description of pump jet operation, very simple really. 

I read the nut on the bottom of the spring shaft that controls the pump jet arm should be 3 mm up the thread on an old thread. Well thats what I set. I have new pump jet diaphrams and springs? I  hadnt had time to check the operation until now. When the throttle is opened the spring should push against the pump jet lever to feed in the stored pump jet fuel to the pump jet. The engine needs this extra fuel when accelerating. In my case the nut was too far down the shaft. This meant when the throttle was opened the spring wasnt pushing against the lever arm and the diaphram wasnt full of fuel, hence not enough acceleration fuel! Seems to be sorted now, but will need tweeking to achieve optimal progression.

Right, back tonthe build! I willmsilicon the loures in tomorrow ,and report the result.

I tried setting mine on the bench and failed miserably. I just ended up setting them to what everybody else has which may have something to do with my low rev stumble...

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

56 minutes ago, Paul Coleman said:

I tried setting mine on the bench and failed miserably

How come? - I just set up  simple jig that held the carb at about 5 degrees down at the intake side (so any drops as well as the pump jet spray could be captured) , I then ran an extended fuel pipe from  the engine bay to keep the carb being tested at the correct presure, then captured the output in a clean jar.   Then used a syringe to measure the output after I'd done the 20 strokes.  It was a bit of a faff, but not technically complex and no special tools required.  It was a useful exercize as it demonstrated that there was not a 'standard' setting and results varied between old & new diaphragms. 

Edited by 910Esprit
  • Like 1

Happy days Fabian, the offer is there mate. 

She looks gorgeous now, you must get some shots of them together once the ski racks are done. You can’t beat a turbo with comps and Goodyear highlighting IMHO.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

21 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

I found that there were significant inconsistencies between old and new diaphragms

Yes, SJ are supplying the wrong ones which doesnt help, if you get them from there, and also the ones for the HC and LC are different so I think other suppliers are also getting these wrong.

• Like 1

I got all the carb parts from Eurocarb Rob there is very helpfulful. They cleaned them and replaced the air sealed bearings and adjusted the buterfles I did all the rest. Very easy it all just screws together.  Oh, and they also repaired the broken float mounts - excellent job. My only error not calibrating the pump jets. I probably will take it all apart and do just that, unless I can get it to work perfectly. A shame as everything else is great! I am especially pleased with my gearbox rebuild - Its very smooth and the clutch is also perfect. So many things could have gone wrong, but didnt. I wont be doing it again though!

Im now deep into the ski racks. The glass cloth Im using is too thin and has cause ripples in my styrofoam plugs. At least I can use isopon now the Epoxy layer is on. It will take a lot of work to get them to standard.Then its pVa release agent gel coat and four layers of fibreglass and polyester resin  to make the moulds. When these are done twenty coats of wax and then cast the final racks. The lower rack being split into two moulds. Should take about a week to make two moulds. Then I still have the other to do!

once these are done I have to make the aluminium ski holders that will sit underneath! 

• Like 1

Wheel align

I have used the string method to set a rough front tracking. I have a laser tool but its tricky to use. Now its in the ball park I can drive safely. 

I am convinced all of the springs on my car are the wrong length, I have ordered a full set and will replace all of them. The ride height is still too high. I measured it at 190 mm from the lower rear chasis to the ground. It should be about 170 mm.

With these cars when they are in one piece the real work starts trying to perfect them! 

• Like 2

Well why was my car sitting too high? I thinknthe previous owner must have been into Monster trucks! Heres his spring and the correct one! I now have to replace all of thIMG_0610.thumb.JPG.9f853ec38dcfdbcef7e019b9f1bb8e20.JPGem!

Im going to beat this car!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Mine was the same, as are many others. Previous owner had all 4 springs replaced and shocks by Morland Jones and they were all wrong.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Wheel align

I have used the string method to set a rough front tracking. I have a laser tool but its tricky to use. Now its in the ball park I can drive safely. 

I am convinced all of the springs on my car are the wrong length, I have ordered a full set and will replace all of them. The ride height is still too high. I measured it at 190 mm from the lower rear chassis to the ground. It should be about 170 mm.

With these cars when they are in one piece the real work starts trying to perfect them! 

Yes, I used the string method to align the wheels on mine. Replicating the system illustrated in the S3/ET WSM which was sent to me by @RichardJGC 

Very fiddly, bordering on tedious, but definitely gets them into a reasonable position. Mine will go off for professional balancing and alignment shortly. Can't wait.

I'm not sure about the "real work begins", but you're right this stage is when the car comes alive. I'm REALLY enjoying driving mine.

Those springs though ..... wild. 

• Like 1

I wish people who havnt got a clue wouldnt mess these cars up. Mr Chapman knew whatvhe was doing!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lotusfab said:

I wish people who havnt got a clue wouldnt mess these cars up. Mr Chapman knew whatvhe was doing!

Yup!

Got the second rear soring to do. Im really not looking forward to replacing the front springs! They should arrived today from S and J. Its mores gauling as I have already restored this bit!