free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 220 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

The ski racks are moving forward at last. The split mould is nearly ready to use. The top rack plugs are nearly finished. I fear if I was a prop maker for the movie they would have had to let me go after I delayed the production! 

• Haha 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
27 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Excellent! Funny enough I started to look for a watch. I like your stuff!

What watch models are they and where did you get the dossier?

The watch on the right is the 1980 H357-5040 and is the correct watch for FYEO, the one on the left is the 0674-5009 and is the correct reference for The Spy Who loved me.

There was an H357-5049 that was sold in the US that is identical, but the wrong reference number.

You can find them on ebay, they do come up... For mint boxed you are looking at 500 pounds and upwards 

I will PM the dossier details. He has the pin and I believe one more voice recorder from the movie that he hand made.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lex Templar said:

is it yours? I need that one!

It looks in mint condition.

Yes...its in excellent condition. Its a snug fit on me but fits my teen son!

Ive got the black/gold version for me, as issued to the F1 drivers of the time.

• Like 1

Wastegate

well I pressure tested it again. It actuates perfectly but the problem is the valve and guide. Pitting from rust proves to be the perect place for carbon to build up. With excessive clearance the hot gases are contaminating the valve guide area. Aparently there is a repair manual for the wastegate with the valve clearance specs. Does anyone have a copy? Maybe the 7-10 thou clearance was taken from the manual?

On 18/03/2020 at 08:30, Lex Templar said:

Fabian, sorry to do this to you but there are a few more things you need to get. I too suffer from the 'completist' mentality.

Seiko H357 -5040 as worn in the white and Copper Fire Esprits.

The FYEO File. This was made by a prop maker in the Netherlands.

Columbo's voice recorder which plays back Bond + Kristatos conversation.

Dove Pin. Important for your car..

Tasco 7800 Binoculars which Rog had with him in the white Turbo outside Villa Sylva.

You may have some of them already :) 

I too had the Olin Mk VI SL skis, albeit with the wrong bindings. I ended up selling them in 2013 and regretted it ever since.

Lex

vS6nVN.jpg

9AN19a.png

cJCpiA.jpg

Bloody hell and I thought Fabian needed help!

• Haha 2

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Well back to the boring stuff! The reason my boost guage was fluctuating was the boost pipe was necked (compressed) in the olive area. No matter how hard you compress the olive the tube diameter is smaller than it should be and so can't seal. Step in Lotusbits who have remade the boost pipes! 

IMG_0783.jpg.e90d849389ef31a7ec031dd9972d2951.jpg

Spot the original!

IMG_1116.thumb.JPG.e58846af7ebd0a7015fac79c8cda6afb.JPGeeIMG_1117.thumb.JPG.e6ed5abad63088b9f9085cfb35a5ac12.JPGSki Binding Graphics

Its all in the detail! There are in fact three types of graphic needed. I use a conpany called stickersinternational to reproduce the detail. They are excellent and very well priced. The 360 RD slants forward, back and is vertical if you look very carefully, you really wanted to know that! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul Coleman said:

Bloody hell and I thought Fabian needed help!

Paul you need to treat yorself to the SWLM watch it will go nicely with your beloved S1! 😄😄😄😄😄

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Got the block back today aquablasted and cleaned in a hot wash. Mahle pistons, new  liners and rings gapped and installed. Crankshaft reground to 10 thou! All components balanced and marked for reassembly. Very pleased. The cylinder head is being machined. I saw another one done by the same person absolutely superb quality work. Both inlet and exhast machined seats recut, all guides replaced and all valves. All prepared for helicoils.  Will post pictures-when you see the parts you will see what I mean! Reassembly to start very soon! 

I have learned so much since my first rebuild, but theres still so much more to learn. Im looking forward to finishing the build! Having done this already I would advise anyone who has not built this engine type before to read this thread and the others on here very carefully, it might just save your engine! 

• Like 1

On 18/03/2020 at 10:53, Lex Templar said:

The Seiko H357-5040 in dry sump #0858.

On a side note which will also relate to your car, notice the piece of trim above the window is headlining material, as per Essex cars..as this was effectively a re-trimmed Essex car that then turned into the car you are replicating in Copper Fire with gold leather.

All the production brown leather cars had this piece in brown leather. I am guessing your car has this section as headlining material? Originally it may have been leather?... I just noticed this the other day...but i assume the copper Bond car has this section in material.

The second pic shows the same section on pre-rebuild #953 trimmed in brown leather from factory. #928 (white heat) + #931 (silver/brown) are the same.

I know we are splitting hairs here but fun all the same.

tkyDIE.jpg

OPu2Vm.jpg

#951 silver with brown leather also has the same headlining

• Like 2

On 20/03/2020 at 02:31, Lex Templar said:

Hi Paul we all need help let’s face it 😊

@Paul Coleman

You Should definitely get TSWLM watch.

I'll give it a miss - I'm afraid I have more sense than money ;)

Although in 1973 I did want an LED watch as Roger Moore had one in Live And Let Die.

Edited by Paul Coleman
  • Like 2

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

On 20/03/2020 at 05:59, Tocus said:

#951 silver with brown leather also has the same headlining

I notice that the roof stereo is performing a useful function here in supporting the headlining! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1