free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 226 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

11 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

2nd rack finished. Will separate it tomorrow. Can't describe in words how much work has been required to get this far. The racks have taken me much much longer than anything else on the car including the engine an gearbox.. I had to take two trips to the states to chevk out the car in the museum and then several failed plugs which take ages to make. If this separates ok then theres only the two bottom ones to do. I will never ever do this again! 😫😫😫😫😫

Fabian , Don't knock it , this sort of work does take time ... Making any plug from blank, even when you have a picture or pattern to work from can be quite daunting..   Its always been the same with anything like this , speed is your enemy...  When I hear people say how fast they have done complicated things, I always cringe and wait for the cracks to start..   So far so good ,  its all seems to be working  and you can always tweak the final moldings to suit your needs.. 

If you are getting distortion , its because your mold off the plug is not thick or rigid enough..   That is an experience thing you gain over time working the products, or going on a coarse.   But in your case as a one off you can muddle by and get the results needed .. 

Getting easy separation of the molds and moldings is a lot to do with the angles and shapes.  90' is where it starts to grab , which is why when you look around your Esprit you wont see any within the main mold except on split sections..  You will also find using a release agent on top of your wax a great asset. 

Take your time and keep going...   My wheel arch plugs took 6 weeks to perfect, then another 2 weeks to make the molds.. no one said it was easy...   :scared:

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those of you reading this sometimes things that are written come across not as intended. I have called Dave Changes today and had a long chat. He has a vast amount of experience with these engines

Posted Images

Thanks Dave. I made the moulds one layer thinner to save time, as I am only making one copy using each. I sprayed release agent over the wax but found it pooled into droplets. I cleaned it off and applied nore wax. On the second mould I put many more wax layers on, so I hope it releases ok! Will be interesting to se how easily it comes away from the mould. Not sure if the distortion also resulted from applying lots of layers quite quickly and the heat generated messed it up.  I was able to correct it with filler quite easily, just added more time.

I have a design now for the upper racks. The skis will be gripped in rubber using a beefed up version of the original idea. I'm planing on aluminium sections with riveted steel ends. It will also have cam locks and the same pins as the original ,so the skis cannot be removed without the key.

The lower racks are more of an issue. I'm deciding whether to let the fiberglass take the load or build a metal bracket within. Once I have made the fiberglass bits I may take a break and go back to the engine. 

I'm still waiting for the cylinder head to be returned and wategate. The current Covid problems have delayed them. The wastegate is having a new valve made out ofvtye same material as the new cylinder head exhaust valves. The original sleve with then be bored out slightly to remove all corrosion and a 10 thou clearance used. I could not find the repair manual for the wastegate online. There is one but as always finding a copy is an issue.

1 hour ago, Lex Templar said:

This is brilliant fabian, attention to detail is great. I'm sure there will be many Esprit owners that will be wanting you to put these into 'production'!

There won't be any more. I will never go near fiberglass again once the bottom racks are done! 

IMG_1003.JPG.fa5c40f97894989a97d9f2b751b9ad46.JPGIMG_1234.thumb.JPG.f21d24ded644b6fb97e94dbc7867c026.JPG

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Lex Templar said:

Fair enough Fabian I don't blame you!

Meanwhile at Q-Lab, they're putting the white car back together.

ecJJCd.jpg

Looks great!

11 minutes ago, v8vantage said:

Nearing the end Fab, I reckon once your done you'll be looking for another James Bond replica to do. I see an Aston Martin V8 in your future, done to match the one from The Living Daylights in 1986. Hopefully you can make all the gadgets work! It even has skis.

40125.jpg

Wow thats excellent!

Who car is that? Was it at a show in the US?

They built 4 cars to use in the movie and 7 fiberglass shells for various stunts. That's one of the fiberglass shells. Aston still own one of the movie cars, Deezer collection has a couple. EON still have 6 of the shells.

• Thanks 1

Just working on the first bottom rack. Waiting for gel coat to go off. Its a complex mould. When its done I'll leave you to ponder over how I made the entire thing from fibreglass- it required some thinking outside the box! 

I think I may have over engineer the lower rack - its like a solid piece of dense fiber glass. It might even survive being mounted on the fuselage of a 747! Cant wait to see waht happens when I split the mould tomorrow. I think it will need some tidy up work. Its very difficult to created this 3D fiberglass shape with slots in!

Only one left to do, thank goodness- I can't take any more fibreglassing!

Then it back to engine rebuilding!

Can I come and drill the holes in that nice shiny paint to mount them? :devil:

• Haha 2

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

5 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

IMG_1246.thumb.PNG.87e873a4551cb93c7227065792caae31.PNG

Some of those double-stick foam body tapes are quite strong, I wonder if you could just bond the mount to the hatch with that, as you have a large base area to work with. Using the tape would allow later removal with fishing line, hopefully saving the hard-earned paint finish.

Alternatively, you could minimize the drilled holes as pictured with just one set of bolts through the louvre rim and the balance stuck with tape. 

• Like 1

Thanks Thomas. I think this is the sort of thing you either do or don't. Im going for it and will bolt them on. If I sell and the new owner doesn't want them they will have to repair and spray the tailgate. I planing on metal brackets inside and bonded to the lower racks with four bolt holes. I think it will need this to take the load and not cause cracking. The plan is to fix closed cell foam in the gap so the ski is sandwiched in position and the paint wont get scratched.

On 03/04/2020 at 20:23, Lotusfab said:

I think I may have over engineer the lower rack - its like a solid piece of dense fiber glass. It might even survive being mounted on the fuselage of a 747! Cant wait to see waht happens when I split the mould tomorrow. I think it will need some tidy up work. Its very difficult to created this 3D fiberglass shape with slots in!

Only one left to do, thank goodness- I can't take any more fibreglassing!

Then it back to engine rebuilding!

Well best to over engineer as it will last, looks like a bugger to make and fibreglassing is not the nicest material to work with.

Nice job and attention to detail especially with the bindings as well.

• Like 2