free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 228 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lotusfab

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

3 hours ago, Lex Templar said:

#930 in 2008 with its droopy left eye and HC bonnet. I found this on Alamy.com (Allstar Picture Library Ltd / Alamy Stock Photo) and bought a hi-res as I had not seen this image before.

LbkEVg.jpg

Thanks for posting that, great picture. The original skis must have got split from the car at some point.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Glad to see its identical to my one! 

it certainly is Fabian, albeit yours in better shape!

You even have the Good Year lettering lined up on the same angle (almost) 😉

I wonder what the future holds for #930 - museums are nice but it really should be out and about don't you think?

You may as well restore a wet-bike too Fabian as pictured. Probably easier than making ski racks.

• Thanks 1

Yep the fun is driving these things, no point otherwise. These cars are keeping me sane with all the other stuff going on!!

I am wondering whether driving these at the moment would attract Plod attention as being far too enjoyable to be "essential" even if driving to work?

Apart from the sensible distancing rules etc, there seems to be an unwritten rule that no fun should be had even if it complies with the rules.

I have erred on the side of caution and not done so but if it goes on much longer I might.

• Like 1

Yep the fun is driving these things, no point otherwise. These cars are keeping me sane with all the other stuff going on!!

31 minutes ago, Andyww said:

I am wondering whether driving these at the moment would attract Plod attention as being far too enjoyable to be "essential" even if driving to work?

Apart from the sensible distancing rules etc, there seems to be an unwritten rule that no fun should be had even if it complies with the rules.

I have erred on the side of caution and not done so but if it goes on much longer I might.

Yep I think they would love to catch someone in the James Bond car and put it on the news!

2 hours ago, Lex Templar said:

it certainly is Fabian, albeit yours in better shape!

You even have the Good Year lettering lined up on the same angle (almost) 😉

I wonder what the future holds for #930 - museums are nice but it really should be out and about don't you think?

You may as well restore a wet-bike too Fabian as pictured. Probably easier than making ski racks.

Was the wet bike in the movie? Odd its there otherwise!

14 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Yep I think they would love to catch someone in the James Bond car and put it on the news!

Even if the journey itself were valid the press would have a field day: "Covidiot spotted driving James Bond car......"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Was the wet bike in the movie? Odd its there otherwise!

Yes that was in the Spy Who Loved Me, so it would sit alongside the S1. 

Sorry for adding things to your list. 😂

• Haha 1

Definitely need a 2CV next

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Lex Templar said:

Yes that was in the Spy Who Loved Me, so it would sit alongside the S1. 

Sorry for adding things to your list. 😂

I having trouble getting the Seiko watch let alone all this other stuff! 

Oil Pump

I bought a brand new annulus and rotor. I have just finished my measuring. The rotor to annulus clearance perfect at new end of limitation. So is the annulus to housing. The problem comes. With the end float. Its 1 thou on annulus and rotor with one gasket and the pulley is slightly stiff. With two gaskets its free to turn, but the rotor and annulus end float are both 4 thou. Since the idal new would be 1 thou annulus and 2.5 thou rotor I must conclude the rotor is 1.5 thou thinner than the annulus when new, i would guess this has been manufactured wrong and the width of the rotor is the same as the annulus! Fix. Well get a used rotor and annulus, get a new gasket 2 thou thick, take the rotor out and use wet and dry to reduce thickness by 1.5 thou, Run it at 4 thou( which is out of spec) or get a sledge hammer and smash into a million pieces! 

😡😡😡😡😡😡

Why does it seem impossible to make any good replacement parts? 

Ohhh I used feeler guages to measure tip clearances and plastiguage to measure the end float. 

And a sledgehammer for final fixing!

• Haha 2

Lord grant us serenity . . . ? Seriously, Fabian, it's a fact that one cannot take for granted the quality of much in auto parts these days. Even major manufacturers shoot themselves in the foot in production FUBAR's, then continue bleeding cash for ages getting it sorted. You are right to be ever so careful after what has been such a trial with the engine, right to be pissed if sold dodgy parts.

Dimensional variances can be sorted in a number of ways, including those already cited. One more method involves lapping down the pump housing marginally if tightening up the end float is deemed the best way forward. FWIW.

• Like 1

Fabian

A good engineering shop can grind to those tolerances using a mag plate to hold.

Trouble is the Covid lock down so the shops are generally shut at the moment.

Once this chaos is over I can do for you if you’re happy to wait?

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Have you mike'd the rotor and annulus for thickness measurement? We'd be the better for having that data in our trove.

On 04/07/2017 at 21:18, stephenwhyte said:

Here you go Fabian

IMG_2145.JPG

Fabian, just going back a long way in your thread. I recently discovered the early Turbo cars and post 81 cars have a different vent shape under the bonnet..the early cars share the s1/s2 arrangement and the black bits are different slightly. Just a bit of trivia really.

• Like 2

Studs in and torqued. Apart from four that I need to get. Work stopped till I can get them! IMG_1276.thumb.JPG.1c08c6f85dd5be6cf3ee557fc6d3abcc.JPG

• Like 1

Looking good so far! Valve springs are among the most stressed components in a car so good thing to be particular in that regard. As to the oil pump bits it seems to me that the thickness would be a critical dimension, hence the request for data.

Cheers

Well, what else would you be doing in lockdown?

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

10 hours ago, Paul Coleman said:

Well, what else would you be doing in lockdown?

Its helping my resto no end!