free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 238 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Gearbox finished! Just need to put it all back in the car. I am planing to put the engine and gearbox in separately, as I’m working on my own due Covid!  Thats how it came out, putting it all in together is really a two man job as the clearances are so limited. Should be about two days work to get it running, if there are no further problems and I can find all the parts.

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those of you reading this sometimes things that are written come across not as intended. I have called Dave Changes today and had a long chat. He has a vast amount of experience with these engines

Posted Images

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks to Pete at PNM my wastegate is fully rebuilt with a brand new valve.it should arrive tomorrow. I seem to have lost the bottom plate on one engine mount! I have been working really hard and its just the exhaust system and Turbo left to do. A new Mocal oil cooler and thermostat to test. I have read the Lotus manual method of filling coolant. I plan to follow it and see if the coolant boils over is because of a faulty thermostat. 

The oil has drained out of the Turbo pipe and theres probably no graphogen in the pump. I suspect this won’t make any difference  this time to getting oil pressure, now the pump is as new. I plan to test this by cranking the engine with the spark plugs out and timing the oil pressure rise. I will report the result to help anyone else doing a rebuild.

I have been told if the engine gets through 100 miles without incident its probably a good build. So I plan to drive for over 100 miles in one go and test out the theory.

• Like 1

I’m very pleased with my heat shielding solution it is in perfect condition still and a massive improvement on the asbestos. . 

The new output shaft bearings have made a massive difference they are really smooth compared with the originals.

• Like 1

Thanks Phil. No expense spared this time. I plan to do some tests for leaks and then I am going to test it on a 100 trip. I just need to get an olive for the boost pipe. I am considering driving once around the M25 during a quiet period.

• Like 1

Looking very much on track by this point, Fabian. Don't fret a shed-load on the boost control beyond what you have done so far, it won't grenade the engine in a flash if off target by a bit so long as the fuel and spark are close to correct. Just don't hammer away with the thing pinking to any degree whatsoever.

Cheers 

• Like 1

Better than it ever left the factory, great job now time to get some miles under your belt enjoying that beauty on the open road! 
The tuning is the fun bit and like you I like doing it myself 👍🏻
Dave :) 

• Like 2

Do or do not, there is no try! 

It's magnificent @Lotusfab

@stephenwhyte did you take the photo above? Have never seen that one before. 

@Lotusfab Have you gone with a boot bag? I suspect all these Bond cars had this rather than carpet - but I could be wrong..

(The Autoart models have a boot bag) copied from the car above with HC bonnet as we know.

• Like 1

Whats this then Fabian.  Is it just an adapter so the flexible inlet that reduces in diameter can not be a parallel tube and the rubber pipe relocated from the air filter box.  If it is just an adaptor where did it come from?

image.png.9735d5db1cc70984895dac61a9603a2b.png

Never seen one Andy. Thinking about it though the airbox diameter is larger so it cant allow a parallel pipe i dont think anyway.

2 hours ago, PhilW said:

Whats this then Fabian.  Is it just an adapter so the flexible inlet that reduces in diameter can not be a parallel tube and the rubber pipe relocated from the air filter box.  If it is just an adaptor where did it come from?

image.png.9735d5db1cc70984895dac61a9603a2b.png

That allows the crankcase breather to be attached and connects to the air filter with the pipe that goes small to large. 

Here you go Phil....A5459DD2-DBB3-4161-83B4-79CDEB5D8687.thumb.png.0dbb26e916f7d708f3ea3b65314c3755.png

4 hours ago, Lex Templar said:

It's magnificent @Lotusfab

@stephenwhyte did you take the photo above? Have never seen that one before. 

@Lotusfab Have you gone with a boot bag? I suspect all these Bond cars had this rather than carpet - but I could be wrong..

(The Autoart models have a boot bag) copied from the car above with HC bonnet as we know.

Yep going with a boot bag. S and J sell them. I may get Steve Fulcher to make me one.

9 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

By way of inspiration @Lotusfab😎 but with incorrect bonnet😉

D820BAEC-1E3A-4C34-B1C2-EF91F3A8EC5C.jpeg

Love the picture, especially as I have not seen it before! You can see how the ski racks are curved to the roof profile to keep the skis horizontal.

• Like 1