free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 24 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lotusfab

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

@Lotusfab, not sure if this will help you but I just got back from GST (car is flying now) whilst I was up there speaking to Gerald he has a copper Esprit coming in soon complete with ski racks. Might be worth a call for some pictures they might not be correct but you never know 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks Dan. Have come to the conclusion I will have to make these from the pictures I have. They need to be spot on and capable of holding the two meter skis which are about 14 pounds each. Quite a lot of G force increasing the weight. I'm thinking steel with fiberglass over the top. The cars I have seen have racks that aren't close enough to the originals. I want them so I can't tell in a picture if it's the real thing of mine. There's quite a lot of detail in the originals. My skis are with DHL in Ohio hopefully crossing the pond as we speak. When they arrive I will have a better idea of size and will be making some racks to make a mould and cast. I don't think it will be possible to cast the racks in one go, so a lot of work. Still can't be any worse than making the gear tunnel mould on the S1! Gave it to Steve Fulcher in the end in case he needs to make a gear tunnel top. That took months of work! Here's a reminder of the S1 gear tunnel mould. I took a mould from someone else's and repaired my one in the first picture which someone had decimated to fit a larger stereo. When it was finished I had to look carefully so I didn't mix up the original and the copy!IMG_1840.thumb.JPG.ebc70d8ea93366b715f885d0ebb7b3f2.JPGIMG_1967.thumb.JPG.6c3d0122198951c5656cea84ba44f630.JPG

IMG_1946.thumb.JPG.505eed9671c355b0dfd7d8243cd62c27.JPG

The bottom picture shows the mold I made from someone else's gear tunnel. I then cast another top and used it to repair mine in the middle picture. I even gave it a black gelcoat finish!  This was a great deal of work. I am sure the racks will be even more. I'm not prepared to pay a company to make them to the design or accuracy I want so no choice will just get on with it at some point.

• Like 2

Skis

My skis have finally made it to East Midlands!

There's quite a few people out there making these Bond replicas. Many will be looking for skis and the only realistic way to get them will be from abroad. To get skis from the USA to the uk is very expensive because these Slalom skis are 2 m long. I spent a while looking at the best way to get them here from Oregon. The cheapest way I have found to get them to the uk is with a company called sendmybag.com. It uses DHL but is much cheaper than using DHL directly or FedEx. It was a third of the FedEx price! The only snag is no company will collect as is from the seller and package them. I was helped by V8vantage. FedEx will package if they are dropped to a FedEx office but this will cost a small fortune. Bindings are easy through eBay using the eBay international postage system which is superb. Hope this saves people hours on the internet!

Well done Fabian, and well done to V8Vantage for giving you a hand :thumbup:  Looking forward to seeing these mounted :)

• Like 1

A

Ski racks

like me there will be other guys making these ski racks. So far all the ones I have seen dont cut it because they look different. Ive spent months now looking at these pictures. Theres a lot more to the design here than you might think. Heres the shortcut!

They are actually quite cleverly made. Im unclear as to whether they are wood, fiberglass or both. My guess is the bottom ones are fiberglass as I have a picture of them broken! They must have been remade, IMG_1001.JPG.36dc33fa438ca58632c84082d8734b24.JPGwhich is interesting because theylook slightly different to me  when the car was auctioned!

Lower ski rack

Not wood for sure as can be seen in the picture.  The only way I can see to make them is in two sections.mold the upper part first then fill in the bottom. The bottom is enclosed which can be seen in the picture. The angle of the bracket from the body matches the rear spoiler angle and finished on a parallel line to the tailgate. As can be seen in the Deezer picture.IMG_1315.thumb.PNG.bdc6f8df9aaeb3509379da9b6d9f4684.PNGimageproxy.php?img=&key=f91d8068176956b1IMG_1410.thumb.PNG.b474877eab4259a766f2e615232b5ca0.PNG

The end of the The upper brackets do not have  flat sides. They are incllinded slightly and have a wedge shaped cross section end on. 

The skis fit on buy removal of the upper bracket top which is shaped like a small aerofoil. Looks to be held in buy a pin. The IMG_1115.thumb.JPG.f16d9b6a7262c63eb5bb87526263d7a5.JPGbracket can be seen lifted slightly in the above picture. The original skis bindings finish in contact with the upper rack so once the areofoil part is locked down the skis can't move. But remember the original skis were custom and 20 cms longer. Mayb so the upper binding would be in the correct position for the rack. I don't know but will find out when the skis arrive!  You can see in this final picture the aerofoil bit is a metal bracket pushed onto the upper rack, with the binding touching. that's all I know good luck making them!

Just looking at all the pictures it would be pretty straightforward to model it all in Solidworks then 3d print the parts for a trial fit on the car before making the final pieces. You could then take a mold off the assembled components and make it all in fiberglass to match.

• Like 1

Hi Roo,

Skis in Uk now, thanks! I plan to make them soon in wood and plastic. When I have got them correct I'll make molds and then fiberglass copies. The lower one can't be cast in one piece as far as I can see. Then I will mess around with metal supports underneath, locks etc. 

If you really want to get it perfect have the local Faro rep in Florida scan the Dezer collection car's ski racks into the computer. It will be easy to replicate them then. 

• Like 2

Wow that's amazing! Think I have just found the solution to the cx500 wheel centres! Not sure if Deezer will let them scan, could Lao be a bit pricey?

• Like 1

Faro are based a few hours away from Deezer. http://www.faro.com/en-us/about-faro/contact/general-contact If you contact them and explain what you are doing and also contact Deezer I think they would help. Offer Deezer a copy of the files in case they ever have damage and have to replicate them. I'm sure there is a way to get it sorted.

• Like 1

Thanks. Will have to contact them and we if it's plausible and much. Doesn't seem to be anywhere in the UK that has a positive can do attitude. Whenever you try and get anything done it's all to difficult!

There's always a way Fab, sometimes it takes a bit longer to find. You found the skis and they are on the way to you....just goes to prove it!

• Like 1

You're right Roo and in no small part thanks to you I have the skis! I won't be giving up anytime soon on the rest of this project. Makes me want to start my own parts company and make bits without all the hassle. 

• Like 1

Blimey , never knew,  expensive but rare so you can name your price i suppose,  anyone on here buy them  ?

A

Not sure??? Almost worth starting a CNC machining business with a FARO scanner?

Just needs the compomotive remake pushing forward. :)

• Like 1

A