free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 240 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those of you reading this sometimes things that are written come across not as intended. I have called Dave Changes today and had a long chat. He has a vast amount of experience with these engines

Posted Images

I feel I may have turned a corner. Extensive testing coming up. I’m also itching to get to work on installing the ski racks. I have a design in my head so now just need to fabricate it and fix it to the tailgate.

• Like 1

100 miles passed, New target set at 500, he's the only one posting.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

So what happens at 500? Come on?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

10 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

I feel I may have turned a corner. Extensive testing coming up. I’m also itching to get to work on installing the ski racks. I have a design in my head so now just need to fabricate it and fix it to the tailgate.

I think you missed the snow season this year Fab, look forward to seeing it in Cortina for the next one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know Andy is a keen skier, like me, and I'm sure given the limits of the clamp designs his method is probably very practical and can be easily concealed with a more accurate prop replica.

I'm not sure who effective they are carrying the skis on the open road, given the risks to other motorists etc, but I'm sure he's tested them.

D66F8C36-5CEB-4BC9-9AD4-2595E8F523EC.thumb.png.0aa2fd39be1523546426b81228acfc66.pngHad an issue with the drivers door today, lucky it happened in my garage. The drivers door was jammed open! It was the strap mechanism, the metal had broke off inside the door. Luckily Lotusbits are sending me another. Good job it didn’t happen when I was out!

• Confused 1

650EC406-6DE3-4857-A644-3395A5B71C0B.png.834f40363379bc153ec276b16729ad65.pngHeres the part that failed!You can see the broken metal on the left that jammed the door. The drivers side apparently is always the side that fails.

Fabians visit and comments re: the ski racks are very complimentary - seeing him pull up in FYEO was awesome and watching him drive off in it, a sight to behold.  You've done an AMAZING job on that Fabian; truly inspiring.

All that is left is the ski racks.

And you're right to point out there are differences in a prop that looks good from afar (made of balsa, sticky tape and a bit of a gate hinge) vs a working ski rack that holds skis at speed on a vehicle.

fix the racks to the car - issue one

fix the skis to the racks - issue two

Then fuel up and mark a yellow highlighter pen on your Europe map and head off to the alps - see you there. :)

Edited by ANDYR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No, if I ever buy another car it will be a Jeep Wrangler YJ. Then i would turn it into a Jurassic park jeep! Still, on with the build!
Whats this?285860FB-631C-4B37-9611-202B60F99A26.thumb.jpeg.bedf5b1c4dde68285f5c14de25a679c4.jpegIts an idea I have for securing the lower ski rack. It will have holes drilled in it and be bonded with fibreglass to the rack. Drilling holes helps it to bond and keeps the weight down. For the upper rack I will probably use Steel and aluminium section.D330348A-1939-476F-9F62-C4CF04FB2CCA.thumb.jpeg.6d2357543729a5e79d241c23aa6124ab.jpegI plan to use 2 mm steel plate. Some of the corners bent to reinforce. Should be far stronger than needed.

Just switched over the voltage regulator and temp indicator to ones calibrated exactly by Andy to match the sensor. The temperature indication will be as good as it can be using this set up. During testing it was found the Old regulator voltage is not very stable and depends on the angle of the regulator, which is why there is a TOP marked on it. The solid state one is not affected by orientation. Of course if the voltage varies so does the indicated temperature! The aim is to keep improving this car.

Due to pressure from everyone to see skis on this car I am getting on with it. E2ADD9E1-205B-4FC1-B459-50D809243251.thumb.png.bdce640e4bc05383fadd3ac50d4759bc.pngI have finally sorted the rear ski bindings. The fronts cant go on until the racks are fitted so I know the clearance. Metal is ordered for the racks so fabrication starting Monday.  By end of July it should have skis!

Just in time for summer and to confuse all the young people who havn’t got a clue who Roger Moore is or what the car is! 

49F21340-F502-416A-9827-82D3EF34DE98.thumb.jpeg.60d4bfac39c36a4fff57fdaa422e00bf.jpeg

66B7477D-6515-4738-875D-F5331BD89321.thumb.jpeg.253f32883c1d33e8ec9e0f500624cffe.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sparky said:

I'm on the edge of my seat for the test track video.

MIRA should be quite quiet at the moment, maybe they will offer a discount :)

Just been out for a drive and the tailgate managed to open because I didn’t lock it! I was doing 50 mph. The only reason I knew it was open was when I looked in the rear mirror I couldn’t see it! This bodes well for skis!  

• Confused 1

Fire extinguisher system now complete and armed, hopefully will never use it!

Ski racks are proving tricky. Difficult to make without a fully equipped workshop. The other problem is the design the prop makers used is tricky to covert to a useable everyday design. I have got the basics now.  I have decided none of the loads on the upper  rack will be taken by the fibreglass. An aluminium and steel structure underneath will deal with it all. So far its very light weight and has four 6 mm anchor points.  I am having difficulty designing a locking system that can fit in the small space available.between the roof and underside of the rack. Just waiting for more materials to arrive. I am building a roughprototype first and then will refine the design. 

Edited by Lotusfab