free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 241 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lotusfab

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@Lotusfab Happened to me a number of times in the early days. Learnt you have to press both sides down firmly to ensure that both catches are engaged. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CHANGES said:

I bet that was a surprise..   Many years ago I lost my bonnet..  And i never saw it go .. Yes i was looking forward , but it happened so fast i never saw it , only heard the wind noise change..   I had to go back 3/4 mile to find it impaled on the central reservation barriers ... and yes it just ripped the hinge  plates straight out of the bonnet ...     Ohh, one of the many joys of owning an Esprit.   ( I may have been doing a bit more than 50 mph at the time  )

At least you were saved any damage .. :thumbup:    

Thats exactly what happened to the Bond car. After this photoshoot the bonnet had been damaged and flew off on the way back to the factory apparently. Thats why it now has the later HC two-slot one. 
I suspect Fabian will not want to try re-creating this shot. :)

bonnet.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

@Andyww   I call that great research and development,   Shame they did not carry it forward onto the Stevens model..  

• Haha 1

Bet this bloke is just looking at the car, not the ladies :)

image.png

Looks like Trevor Eve

• Haha 1

Ski racks

Well I think at last I may have turned a corner! I have almost completed a locking prototype for the upper racks. I now have all the materials to complete both of them. As all things it will just need a lot of man hours to complete. The best bit is I have done the difficult bit. When your thinking up something from scratch it takes a while! Once you have something physical its so much easy to refine and replicate.It isn’t very tidy at the moment, but will be when I remake it. Its remarkable I seemed to have squeezed everything into a very small space. I will of course have to test it through several cycles to ensure its robust.

Ski racks 

Had to start again with the lower rack design. My first one was too difficult to fit into the underside space. I have finally made a mark 2 version. It needs four bolts welding on and then with be painted and fibreglassed into the lower rack. This really has proved to be a mammoth task. I had considered giving up, but I’m still sticking at it for the moment.C64AFA58-69DF-4C9C-89CA-8D82C08F6A3C.thumb.jpeg.b2337f224d23f6abf9ce71afbca182a3.jpeg3BBA72CF-C578-45BC-873C-41D792A88E9D.thumb.jpeg.60b2a35f7a7aca7990be93700440a7ae.jpeg66CB8759-C1B6-44C0-B474-EA0947702EFE.thumb.jpeg.23a51966820c65ab54e63e092a3b6aa7.jpegthe idea is to drill some holes and bond this to the structure using more fibreglass. Its tricky to fit a structure Inside as the fibreglass  Isn’t perfectly symmetrical. There must be better ways of doing this but this is my solution.

If Plan B, or is is Plan C fails, I'm not at all sure anymore,  and you find yourself forgetting about making the racks, as a last resort you could try these if you really need to carry the Olins on the back of your car

https://www.seasucker.com/collections/racks/products/ski-rack

I think Harry used them on his trip to Cortina.

• Like 1

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

I have been making these for so long I have forgotten as well! Those sucker racks look quite good. I should finish the lower rack mountings in the next few days. Maybe a week before the upper ones are complete. Then I have to prep them for spraying. Once they are finished I’ll decide whether to bolt them on. 
This has been by far the longest and most difficult job on this build, it seems to just go on and on.

52 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

it seems to just go on and on.

Ain't that the truth.

• Haha 1

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Speedo

Well it stopped working again. I have looked back through all of the threads on here and like a lot of threads theres not much of a conclusion. The issue is at the gearbox end and I think the problem is the angle drive shaft is not really long enough to engage in the speedo gear shaft. Any slight upward movement of the angle drive seems to disengage it.I could be wrong I will have to take the exhaust off and measure the distance inside the nylon bush to the top of the gear. I wire locked it, but found the metal had stretched allowing the drive to disengage. This time I have tried a cable tie. Not really a satisfactory design or I might be missing something? I think wear on the speedo gear shaft is allowing it to disengage more readily than it might otherwise do.  A solution would be to make the angle drive flat piece where it engages longer. Its working again at the moment. If it fails again I will take the exhaust off for a more detailed look. I did notice the parts manual lists two nylon bushes. They are sold by S and J one for pre c35 and the other for post C35. Does anyone know the difference they look very similar on the pictures? 

Don't think I'd be drilling holes in it if it were mine!

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

37 minutes ago, Paul Coleman said:

Don't think I'd be drilling holes in it if it were mine!

DC7126FD-54DD-4BFB-9CC4-76D327B4EFD1.thumb.jpeg.ba330cc47c6da2bbc5a6177e3d6754f4.jpegThere going to be a lot of holes, hopefully in the correct place. I have gone around and around with this decision. I am going to finish the ski racks to the best standard Incan and then decide. At the moment I am making 2 mm thick steel drilling templates. Theres no margin for error with this attachment method. Seems a waste of years of work if I don't install them. They are possibly as close to the originals as you can get, but this time they arn’t film props. They are surprisingly light, especially the upper rack mechanism which is partly aluminium. 

• Like 1

If I do put them on I will test them on a track and film it. 9D4C0867-75D4-4210-A050-2EAD0E68612C.thumb.jpeg.209aa2e4d2b9ec7052064871acac5ff8.jpegTrouble is I have gone to extreme lengths to copy this car. Without the skis its just another Copper fire Esprit.

034364AB-C616-4077-9A74-B4209DF98595.thumb.jpeg.61c0807ac0d2a0188d22f3b5d41da40e.jpeg

A624AEDE-E754-4591-B1E1-34A40EC780D3.thumb.png.94971541ca013a9a105448ff1818eba2.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

If I do put them on I will test them on a track and film it. Trouble is I have gone to extreme lengths to copy this car. Without the skis its just another Copper fire Esprit.

Yes it's your car and your money so do as you please obviously. However, sooner or later it will be sold that's inevitable and in my humble opinion having ski racks and skis on it will devalue it. There will be small number of people who will smile as you drive round suburbia wearing skis but a larger number will be less complimentary I'm willing to bet. If I were to buy such a car the first thing I'd do is get rid of them as I'd feel a bit of a cock riding round with them. I'm sure most of the people on here will probably disagree but they're slightly biased! As I say it's your dime.

• Like 1

Well, I think that’s a bit of an understatement Fabian. With or without the racks this is likely still the #1 copper fire turbo esprit out there. It’s like a new car with incredible attention to detail. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Ad initium

Thanks chaps, both valid points. I suppose If I were to sell I could always fill the holes and respray. Alternatively someone else might want to be James Bond!😄😄😄😄

I’m with you Fabian, this has been your dream build with a bond replica vision in mind, you’ve travelled across the globe to obtain accuracy so fit the racks. The FYEO car is still iconic and recognised with bond being timeless, it’s going to look fab when done 😁😉

Dave :) 

• Like 2

Do or do not, there is no try! 

5 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Thanks chaps, both valid points. I suppose If I were to sell I could always fill the holes and respray. Alternatively someone else might want to be James Bond!😄😄😄😄

I don't know how much you've spent and I dread to ask, so I won't but if you were to sell and want to get your money back your prospective buying audience is more likely to be a serious car collector than a middle aged man who has aspirations of being James Bond.

• Like 1