free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 252 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

At the end of the day these setups will never be 100%. The weight and spring advance curve is never perfect and carb fuelling is never spot on.

The only way to get things absolutely right is to use EFI with ignition which has feedback from O2 and MAP and temp sensors etc. A no-feedback system on older cars will be susceptible to fuel differences, temperature changes etc.

BTW I am not advocating an EFI conversion! I did that on an Excel in the past and it was a money pit and never really delivered as expected. Its better to get things as good as possible with carbs even if not perfect IMHO.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks Dave. Nearly there on the tuning its within 3 mm but I want it spot on. Morgan carbtune, I had a lot of practice!   Slight oil leak form the rear cam cover on the inlet, easily fixed. I should

Posted Images

Andy, I'd be pleased to hear of your experience with the Excel EFI conversion so if it suits you perhaps a new thread over on "Engines . ."?

Once Covid is over take a trip to Deezerland. Remember Miami motor museum had the Bond collection, well some of it has been moved to Orlando. Deezer Action Park, awesome cars in the collection. Heres a preview...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkxN39Vqd-Y&feature=

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/09/2020 at 18:37, drdoom said:

Andy, I'd be pleased to hear of your experience with the Excel EFI conversion so if it suits you perhaps a new thread over on "Engines . ."?

It was such a long time ago, I cant remember a lot of it. I remember the biggest issues were installing a recirculating fuel system (Turbo Esprit already has that!) and the cold-start idle air was never right. The system I used was called SDSEFI and amazingly is still available. I believe there are better systems available these days, it was very "hobbyist" and the ECU and coil units looked like they were made in someones bedroom.

I used Weber throttle bodies to replace the carbs, that part was pretty neat.
It turned out to be very expensive and with hindsight I should have simply had the carbs re-jetted. What I didnt know at that pre-internet time was on the very late Excels Lotus has to deliberately under-jet them to get them through emission controls so they had flat-spots and hesitation from the factory which could be corrected.

Interesting and not at all surprising, that note regarding the late Excel jetting. I am familiar with the SDS approach, a most rudimentary digital EFI/spark solution that nonetheless has its merits. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers 

7 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Fabian’s in print ! 😎

Fantastic write up and the 2CV looked magnificent 😂

No seriously get your copy as very good and the Esprit looked really good in glossy print 👍

8CA86826-BC50-4389-BD7E-909558B858A4.thumb.jpeg.2b37ea38da40c469de4b1ab171f11f00.jpeg

Dave :) 

Wow, I hadn’t seen that yet!

• Like 1

Thanks mate, I have press reader but its bot on there yet. I wonder what they wrote, as I haven't seen any of it! The 2CV was really cool! 

• Like 1

Look forward to reading the super-glossy clear Readly version to see the Copper Fire shine😎

• Like 1
On 10/01/2018 at 20:24, Lotusfab said:

All the wheels are rolled edge. 

Ahh my friend checked every part of the Copper car extensively and saw no signs of white anywhere! . The plaque said it had been resprayed and colour changed, but whoever sprayed it did a flawless job.

I did not check the vin plate☹️

What I want  to know is who on here has been over there measuring and not shared the info?

Hi Fabian, just looking through some of the old posts.. did you happen to get any photos of 10929 white Turbo with the n/a engine at Dezer? - I saw the one withe the squiggly Lotus paint on the rear bumper.. 

Would love to see the brown interior of that one too some day...

5 hours ago, Lex Templar said:

Hi Fabian, just looking through some of the old posts.. did you happen to get any photos of 10929 white Turbo with the n/a engine at Dezer? - I saw the one withe the squiggly Lotus paint on the rear bumper.. 

Would love to see the brown interior of that one too some day...

Hi Lex, only a picture of the rear bumper and exterior, I think it was that car. May well be in Orlando now. I can’t remember if the interior was brown or if it was that car, but there are two in the ED175973-049D-455B-8A11-E62F93B76495.thumb.jpeg.dd65c2351043d6aaaf115f471dbe2af5.jpeg3316F6F3-490E-4E20-B487-6ABD4C740736.thumb.jpeg.660d2bcd7d2f3091c432cd5c8fce6042.jpeg08C303F8-6E8F-4355-A0CD-53DA95B30897.thumb.jpeg.68e3ec751d4c2ec473f17c08f489717c.jpeg 

• Thanks 1