free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 256 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

42 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Northampton Motorsport also do geometry set-ups. Two birds with one stone!

There's your solution Fabian!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My luck has really turned. Just got the speedo drive working! I jacked the car up, put it in gear and ran it whilst I messed around. I discovered even with the nylon and brass drive held in by a 9 mm

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Fridge said:

I'm no expert on setting suspension geometry, as I said, I just used the parallel method to obtain a basic alignment and for me assess what shims I was likely to require when done professionally.

However you don't just weight to obtain it's road (driving) weight, but to level the car. Looking at your rear suspension I suspect it needs to sit lower, but as I stated during your colour reference process, photos can be misleading.

I would seriously recommend you ask the rolling road place if they can recommend a place the sets up geometry. I may not be able to tell the difference between our S1s (though I suspect I could), but I certainly could tell the difference in mine.

Very annoying if marks made due to external work. After all the hours spent restoring these cars, as you mentioned earlier.

Some of the pictures of my car were done after the car had been jacked up. Heres one where it has been driven, look at the back wheel height and compare it to the arch. My entire suspension is new. The springs are also new as per the originals and I have factory rear shocks - no adjustment. I believe the rear height is correct and where it should be, Some of the well known pictures you see the car was weighted down to give it a lower stance. Heres a picture of the Bond ca4 and mine for comparison. Notice how high the front is sitting! FE19B441-D919-41D0-A231-7432A7F360BE.thumb.png.e60e9e095ec5923d0883aaa39cdba626.png

96436EA8-05DC-4FBB-851F-845EF5812CD4.thumb.png.a2aa626428c9d420284a739c78931fa0.png

I would say in these pics the rears are about the same height. If you look at the Bond film scene where he pulls up at the ice rink you will see the rear wheel is about where mine is. 

• Like 2

Yes that especially happens on the rear owing to the suspension design it goes ito massive camber when jacked up owing to the huge difference in upper vs lower link lengths.

Then when dropped down it cant reset owing to tyre friction on the ground.

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry about the ride height Fab, seems only one person on the forum fixated about it. Looks about the same as the Bond car in this pic.

James_Bonds_Car.jpg

• Like 1

Heres a picture of a pristine dr6 sump you might know. Look at the suspension height.69CACDE2-A192-40A4-957B-4DF9C904CA9D.thumb.png.7b7db1ef96f70704fe9f639dc3121f78.pngThink this proves conclusively that some of the stock photos have the car weighted down for the pictures.

• Like 1

No doubt at all that some of the press shots either had weights or the rubber spring platforms removed. Anyway the figure is very clear in the manual, 170mm from bottom of cross member to ground for all Esprits. 

Unfortunately the lowest point on the Turbo is the bottom of the rad tray so lowering the car is a bit of a risk anyway.

I think you have pretty conclusive proof now Fab, there's nothing wrong with the ride height on your Esprit Turbo. Now if it looked like this I'd be mad!

mad.jpg

• Haha 2

@Lotusfabif you catch the most recent episode of Salvage Hunters: Classic Cars it shows a late 50's car being aligned using the parallel string method, but also weighing the car at each corner. Though it only very briefly explains the more fundamental principles of why it's done. Worth watching.

9 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

I have finally reached the end of the journey with these cars. Its now only a matter of maintenance and tuning. I am now doing major building work on my house! When covid is over and we can travel I will be traveling to Cortina to finally draw a line under my Lotus journey. 
My issues started when I was 10 years old and the Spy Who Loved Me came out at the cinema! I can finally put this to rest having built two Bond cars, when I only really aspired to the S1. I shall enjoy driving them when we are allowed. The good news for you all is my wife assures me as soon as I cop it she will be selling both of them! 

Well done Fab, been a great trip so far but the journey's not over until you remove the key for the final time. Would be great to see them some day when the world reopens. Be well and have a nice smug smile on your face for a job well done. 

• Like 1

If you want to replicate the Bond Turbo then that's OK, but don't forget movie cars are props. Nothing more. Those used in car chases and the like are these days different cars, and set up accordingly.

You've already noticed that the still frame of the shot where the front of the car is in the bottom of the frame is a lot higher than in real life which sort of proves my point. Though grip probably just used a brick (the film industry is very practical!). In the same way actors stand on apple boxes regularly to achieve the right framing.

I still maintain that if you had your car weighed at a profession outfit it would look different. Though I note that many Turbo Esprits look very different from their correctly set-up S1 counterparts. Perhaps as a result of tyre choice or whatever.

You didn't answer my question whether you'd fitted aftermarket shock absorbers, such as the Pro-techs on the S1. I tried setting mine to match the cup position of the original Lotus ones, and they were wildly wrong. Even asking others how many threads their cars had showing. I did it by eye, and measurement of the underside before getting it done on a rig, and it did require further adjustment.

Just sayin' Fab. It's your car.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 1

I haven't read this blog (as i'm not really into turbos) but knowing you and having seen how well you did on your S1 Esprit  and the pictures of this finished car it looks a really lovely job, I think we both strive for some kind of perfection and its lovely to see how so very very close you have got to perfection. My hat is off to you buddy, well done.

Matt

• Like 2

Let me know If you have a S1 esprit for sale 🙂

1 hour ago, Fridge said:

If you want to replicate the Bond Turbo then that's OK, but don't forget movie cars are props. Nothing more. Those used in car chases and the like are these days different cars, and set up accordingly.

You've already noticed that the still frame of the shot where the front of the car is in the bottom of the frame is a lot higher than in real life which sort of proves my point. Though grip probably just used a brick (the film industry is very practical!). In the same way actors stand on apple boxes regularly to achieve the right framing.

I still maintain that if you had your car weighed at a profession outfit it would look different. Though I note that many Turbo Esprits look very different from their correctly set-up S1 counterparts. Perhaps as a result of tyre choice or whatever.

You didn't answer my question whether you'd fitted aftermarket shock absorbers, such as the Pro-techs on the S1. I tried setting mine to match the cup position of the original Lotus ones, and they were wildly wrong. Even asking others how many threads their cars had showing. I did it by eye, and measurement of the underside before getting it done on a rig, and it did require further adjustment.

Just sayin' Fab. It's your car.

The S1 sits a lot lower than the turbo at the rear. On the Turbo I was meticulous. The entire suspension is dry sump. The springs and shocks are new and factory correct. For those that don’t know the dry sump trailing arms, upper lower links and hubs are different to the wet sump. I have seen many cars that appear to sit lower, but the movie pictures all appear to be about the same height as mine and the cars were new when the film was made. I know for a fact in some pictures the car has been weighted down. All I can conclude is some other cars are sitting lower than they were when they left the factory because they have been intentionally lowered, have different shocks or the springs have weakened over the last 40 years. The S1 sits far lower for sure.

6 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

64E0702A-7DF4-4E1F-AD07-8A11F8125C97.thumb.png.fe85dc389aa259a5451752884e0af39e.png

Love this picture Fab, you car looks absolutely perfect. Shame someone keeps flogging the dead horse about ride heights! Maybe having 1 pair of skis fitted has altered the weighting somehwat.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...