free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 65 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lotusfab

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Engine mounts in position. There are two rubber washers. It's very important to get them the correct way around. The upper washer has a cut out! Upper washer is on the left!IMG_2468.thumb.JPG.5b9e7e418da31924c87e226bae603bac.JPG

Havn't put the mounts on yet!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 06/08/2017 at 12:37, Lotusfab said:

Thanks Andy, you have the later design with what appears a different roll bar? Here's the aerial type I was considering. I have a new electric aerial the same as the original. The design is flawed so think I will fit it but use this new design bonded to the fiberglass in the rear quarter or the front wing   

I fitted an active aerial similar to that just now, on the underside of the roof behind the bulkhead trim panel. Seems to work but will need to road-test at the weekend.

• Like 1

Good location, must be a tight fit?I look forward to he road test, before fitting mine! Here's what we all were wanting to know about the Compomotive upper links!IMG_2472.thumb.JPG.c066e94c1af09d983b76d6149467e1bb.JPGMiddle is the Compomotive upper link, Left a Lotusbits adjustable link made to Compomotive range spec with the superior BBS bushes, right the BBS upper link, longer! This all caused by a change in the wheel offset. The upper link must be adjustable if you wish to achieve the correct suspension setup. 

• Like 2

Which aerial did you pick?

Just now, Lotusfab said:

Which aerial did you pick?

56 minutes ago, Andyww said:

I fitted an active aerial similar to that just now, on the underside of the roof behind the bulkhead trim panel. Seems to work but will need to road-test at the weekend.

Thanks Andy. 

Lower link

The Compomotive lower link is also shorter than the BBS version. For this I will be using the original, which Dann kindly swapped. The bushes are still available from S and J and they are smaller, as per the upper link in the picture. Each end has a different style of bush. 

The radius arms are also different and once again I shall be using the originals. 

Thant about does it for the rear suspension, now just need to get the wheels sorted! 

Currently rebuilding the pedal box which has been powder coated and plated.IMG_2424.thumb.JPG.50708f994a279fc5c67719e2471d6bf6.JPGIMG_2425.thumb.JPG.f57650e25d29d6fc08b3bcb7e7b87126.JPG

These are the before pictures. The Nylon bushes for the throttle peal linkage can be removed, but only by twisting. They have a square end which is placed through the pedal box, then twist to lock them in.

The clutch and brake pedals are slightly different but in the parts manual they are listed as the same part.

Pedalbox rebuilt! Also just fitted half of the front suspension. Wider springs on the front!IMG_2474.thumb.JPG.1b06a6cfda5778f3795ba50e3c80eeda.JPG

Now have to take the wishbone off again, as I forgot the washers are still on order!??????? Never mind I'm getting better at this having taken it apart so many times!

Paint 

Something very exciting has happened. I stumbled across a very nice chap who has one litre of Lotus A19 paint. Why is that interesting? Well it's 18 years old, he is in the business and used it to spray his Copper Fire Turbo eighteen years ago. He said at the time it was a perfect match so he didn't spray the engine bay. He did a test card when I met him recently and compared it with A19, that was supplied buy his supplier. Guess what they were different! Not really a surprise to me. He said he would send me the test card so I can compare it with Matts Cap. Will be interesting to see how different they are!

Hi Dan, of course your right! The problem with these restos is the intermittent nature. Just as you get into it something happens then a few days later your trying to figure out what you were doing. What also doesn't help is incorrect assembly from previous owners or the wrong parts! No my music collection is totally random. I subscribe to Chaos Theory. Somewhere a butterfly flaps it's wings and causes me to leave washers out! . Fortunately I have a robust checking procedure, laborious but effective!

• Haha 1

Rear upper links are in, with the new bushes, it's a very tight fit! nothing to do with the Links themselves. They are BBS copies on the ends, but have a length adjustment. The new bushes compress allowing the washers to squeez in. Getting them in without scraping the chassis is a pain! I've had to blast the hubs and put them on to get this thing rolling. Will have to take them to pieces at a later date and before fitting the Compomotive wheels. I've nearly got a rolling chassis just the lower links and radius arms on the rear and one hub on the front. May have to take the body off again as I'm not sure I have time to clean, fit and replace the oil cooler stuff, we'll see! ?????

Had a hell of a job trying to remove the driveshaft allen head bolts on the LHS. Still can budge them, may have to try the heat method. Any ideas? Both driveshafts will need a full rebuild! 

What are you using?  I use a set of 'professional', short, straight,  Allen keys that are driven by a 1/2 drive socket.   These can shift with ease what seems impossible with standard 'bendy' allen keys 

Yes these are a bit of a pain. On my other car I can shove a big screwdriver in the disc to lock the shaft but you cant do this with unvented disk and you dont have a way of dropping the car on its wheels (presumably).

If you can lock the shaft somehow a big bar with hex bit should do it. Some people I believe use impact air drivers on these but never owned one.

The hex in the bolt needs to be cleaned out then bash the bit into it with a hammer to make sure its right in before fitting the bar and trying to turn.

Thanks Chaps, I was using a spanner on a bendy Allen key and a vice clamped onto the hub. No joy so have ordered a half inch drive socket Allen, 8 mm. If this doesnt budge them its heating, hammering then sawing and drilling! 

Just put the fuel pipe I made on and thought I just bolt on an earth braid, silly me should have know mr chaoman would change the chassis threads! What size nut fits on the end chasis thread? UNF metric? Just going to get a pic!

You see what I mean by Chaos Theory! Throw all the parts in a Radom manner and somehow they turn into an Esprit after reordering themselves! ????????

Engine mountings upside down?

Thanks will check! They're not secured yet. Chaos Theory? Was just thinking if Schrodingers Cat turns up this projects doomed! 

Does anyone know the nut size for the earth strap on the left of the picture in the corner?

48 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

mr chaoman would change the chassis threads! What size nut fits on the end chasis thread? UNF metric? Just going to get a pic!

Mr Ferrari does the same thing, they use a mixture of metric standard thread and metric fine. Dont know that that is, need to check with a thread gauge probably.

The studs on the chassis edge change diameter! I tried M8 and it didn't work? Probably UNF?

Can't find it in the parts manual either?

Great work Fabian,  Nice to see all the bits getting bolted back on the chassis :)   Regarding the driveshaft hex bolts, sometimes they are siezed solid,  I hate the things !   Worst case scenario is love the joint in a vice,  and use a hammer and chisel to smack them,  hopefully that will free them off !    If the allen key face wears off, the smack a decent torx bit in and hopefully that will bite.   

I have had a couple of these seized in so bad the bloody bolt actually sheared off !  Then it is a case of drilling out sadly :(

A

Thanks Dan just need to get the bits the correct way around, I'm not worried I have you eagle eyed chaps checking it for me! I tried a chisel and ended up smashing a bit of the Allen bolt head off! Who designed this thing! Hopefully this is the last nightmare part! My new Allen hex socket is on its way. Also have to buy a 200ft lb torque wrench fir the hub☹️☹️☹️