free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 80 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

1 hour ago, Lotusfab said:

Thanks Steve, still can't get over how good your refurb is, must have taken hours of polishing and cleaning!

Thanks. They did take a long time and it got seriously tedious at the end!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those of you reading this sometimes things that are written come across not as intended. I have called Dave Changes today and had a long chat. He has a vast amount of experience with these engines

Posted Images

Very nice Fabian! Can you send a close up of the internal side of the central wheel cap hole please. Thanks Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks. The cx500 centres in the picture are 5/130 Porsche fitment. I have another set of 4/100 cx500 centres I will be using. The ones in the picture will be for sale shortly. The 4/100 set have a groove where the plastic centre clips in. They are 61 mm app hole diameter. 

What sealant are you going to be using?

Not sure on the sealant. Got the tyres removed yesterday and the bolts are out of 1 wheel. Want to split one wheel first to see what I find. Then will order Oring and sealant but need advice on that first. 

I'm hoping to get to see the Bond car in January. Of course I will share if they let me take pictures. I also will be taking the Ear from my car to ensure I got  the paint correct! 

:thumbup:

• Thanks 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Areas such as under door seals, edges etc might show signs of previous paint. Problem is, primer will show as white.

What would be a real giveaway is if they didnt bother to repaint the under-bonnet area or some such.

Also does the bonnet, which is an HC one, exactly match the paint on the rest of the car?

On and of course check the paint code on the VIN plate!

• Thanks 1

My cars have a lot of overspray on the underside and also behind rear lightclusters and number plate.  If the car was returned to the factory for a respray then its likely areas were just masked off which may mean original overspray is still visible.

I wonder how helpful they will be.  If they get someone being too inquistive they may think someone is trying to show their exhibit is not genuine.  I would say that is possible.

Good luck Fabian!

41 minutes ago, Andyww said:

Areas such as under door seals, edges etc might show signs of previous paint. Problem is, primer will show as white.

What would be a real giveaway is if they didnt bother to repaint the under-bonnet area or some such.

Also does the bonnet, which is an HC one, exactly match the paint on the rest of the car?

On and of course check the paint code on the VIN plate!

Please bare in mind Lotus are car builders not your local paint shop. MPW & NCL had NO overspray etc. etc. the only evidence of their previous colours were the paint chips.

The Copper Fire car at Deezer is OPW654W and is a standard dry sump Turbo as per its press demo use when it was white. I have found no evidence this car had the engine swapped for a N/A. NCL did have a N/A engine fitted as I found when I had access to it in the early 1990s. The Deezer car is NOT NCL 10958 pre production prototype.NCL is privately owned in the middle east somewhere. The White car could be interesting as this car may have a N/A engine fitted as per the car sold by a Lotus dealer in the mid 80s stating it had connections with the Bond film. The advert stated the car was Turbo spec with a N/A engine fitted this car was only a promotional tool after filming that is its only connection to the film. See my post on another thread about the FYEO Bond cars.

• Thanks 1

I’m not sure they will let me get anywhere near it, but I’ll ask and give it a go. Can’t see them opening the bonnet or even the doors. But I’ll ask. Bibs can the Lotus Forums assist to get me some access, may be we have some contacts that could help? This is all of great interest, all we need is a contact at the museum. I’ve tried emailing and calling within no luck. They haven’t answered the phone yet!

I’m taking the leather sample I have and a piece of my car to check the colour. Fingers crossed!

My next problem is there are two Deezer museums. One in Fort Lauderdale and the other in Miami. Have emailed them to find out which one has the Bond car!

Not holding my breath I may have to go to both!

You’re maybe already planning on doing it Fabian, but I’d make a folder up of progress so far to show someone with influence at the museum - I would think that together with the pieces you mentioned you’re taking, would be enough for anyone to think they should help you. That and the fact if they know you’re from the UK, they’ll realist it’s unlikely you’ll be back every week for more and more reference inspections. A couple of photos of your S1 as the completed article, should also help to have them easily complying I’d think:thumbup:

1 hour ago, G_Reaper said:

Please bare in mind Lotus are car builders not your local paint shop. MPW & NCL had NO overspray etc. etc. the only evidence of their previous colours were the paint chips.

I know but in this case the cars would have been on a tight timescale and they would have known that the colour change was only for filming purposes. Agree that they likely would have done a proper job but you never know. Are you sure about NCL as in some pictures it looks like there is white showing at the edge of the trim below the rear side window.

3 hours ago, Andyww said:

I know but in this case the cars would have been on a tight timescale and they would have known that the colour change was only for filming purposes. Agree that they likely would have done a proper job but you never know. Are you sure about NCL as in some pictures it looks like there is white showing at the edge of the trim below the rear side window.

Andy 100% certain about NCL. I have owned 2 Lotus prepared show cars they give extra attention to promotional opportunities hence the cars had "motor show" written on the inside of all panels. The white could easily be trapped polish. If anything very careful attention to detail would have been taken on these cars so at no angle would they show poor workmanship or differences between cars. Is that photo NCL?? The Deezer car was the car used at most promo events after filming. However they did forget to fit "Styled by G" badges on the Deezer car yet NCL had them fitted.

Hence in answer to your question Fabian the car actually seen in the film has "Styled by G" badges so I am fairly confident the Deezer car was not used for the Copper Fire shots but was a standby however which car was used for the white car shots earlier in the film is unknown. The colour on the Deezer car and NCL should be exactly the same as they were prepared at the same time.

Buddsy the vins on the Deezer cars are 10930 Copper 10929 White i believe this is documented with photos on the Bond car thread.

Cheers Mike

• Thanks 1