free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 88 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Yeh, there are a lot of inaccuracies in those movies!

oh well. Will have to devise a plan to make the stickers, unless one of our other talented members can assist?

It's a big job replicating a Bond car, I need some help?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plan B, the wife is going to help so tomorrow when the rain has stopped its going back in! Once its back in I’ll feel like I’m almost there about five months  since it went bang! 

Posted Images

101F7578-12A4-45A3-B6B1-7630C33B2C7E.thumb.jpeg.ab751098cf3d36ae747627287ba4d41d.jpegSki Racks

To anyone making these they are far more sophisticated than the copies you have seen so far. The upper rack does not have square sides, they lean inwards and the edges are rounded off. It looks like an aerofoil on an aeroplane. The oute4 edges are sloped like a Pyramid. The edge in the outer side is hollow. The forward and rear racks are riveted to a metal plate which hooks over the tailgate and is then bolted to the other end. The design is totally unsuitable for the safe carriage of skis. Anything you make or replicate from any info on here is done at your own risk. For liability reasons I will not make any racks other than for myself, sorry. But I will provide pictures. Here’s an end on shot.1D73213B-0EC0-4863-ADF2-180336C8F085.thumb.jpeg.dbe5b666efbdacd54e86699f85a38b96.jpeg77256F3C-806E-4A67-972C-38D3138F71EC.thumb.jpeg.1d32577a22ceae3c35baf9530ea5b76e.jpeg

Well looks like I will have to make Burglar protected stickers myself! I have done a bit of research, it should be quite easy!

You can get acrylic laser printer paper tha5 you can make decals from. The problem is only very expensive printers can print in white. Solution find a very good print shop and print a scan of the photo on here. Or paint the white letters onto the decal. Will let you know how I get on, should be pretty easy.

Finally looking at making the ski racks. I intend to make the moulds from Styrofoam. I will then fabricate the bottom rack from carbon fibre and the top from fiberglass with a metal bracket underneath that supports the locking mechanism. It will be the same sort of design as the original and hopefully will be identical apart from rubber jaws to grip the skis and a key slot on each one.

On 13/01/2018 at 11:37, G_Reaper said:

I love this photo I wonder how many others like this there are out there. It is a prime example of the hard life these cars had while promoting the Film and Lotus. There must have been numerous events these cars attended to promote the brand and the film as Don Mac PR supremo was an expert at finding ways to maximise promotion of Lotus at the lowest cost.

Maybe we could recreate this with my car and the original cast?

40 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Maybe we could recreate this with my car and the original cast?

Given that the film was made 37 years ago you may need to beef up your front suspension a tad!

• Haha 2

Fabian,

Welcome back.  Looks like you had an awesome trip and well worth the investment in going to collect all that info on the car.  

Ski racks:

so from your photos and comments, I see the design like for like would look cool from a distance but up close reveal an unreliable/impractical way of securely holding the skis for travel.  As suspected; but good to confirm. I see from the photos that the 'centre fin' in the top bracket doesn't touch the clamp.  I'm also confused by the black metal bar that bends over the skis at the rear of the tailgate... maybe the racks were tested and went round the first bend at Hethel with skis only to have them fly off and hence a hidden black strap for security... ?  who knows.  With different ski profiles now (think your classic race profile and 'fat boy off piste' ski) such a design won't be practical.

interesting to see the width is 200mm.  Our prototype is 250mm.

whats the length? can you confirm from 'front of tailgate top to back'?

and how high does that rack and angle?

once i've got these i can get cutting.

I'll then share the drawings proper as stimulus for you and other readers.  I'm going for 'skis secure first/aesthetics later' design...

what did you buy in the gift shop?

I believe the metal ski clamps were not on the original car and it looks like someone has tried to secure the whole thing a little better.

the lower rack on the car has cracked at the top, obviously not up to the loading. They look like they are fibreglass. I believe a carbon fibre lower rack would be strong enough. Else a metal bracket with in the rack. The lower racks are riveted to a metal plate which hooks over the tailgate at the rear and bolts in at the front, the upper is the reverse.

I believe the upper rack is about 73 mm high, not including the bracket which is 15 mm at the widest part..use photos for the angle.

You can scale  the other photos. This is what an am doing.

By the way the lower racks are totally enclosed end on  with no drain holes, unlike the Monaco car which has them open.

I may well go back to check my racks. Some of the cars are being shipped to Vegas. Not sure which ones yet. Will email before the return.

Note the shape of the wheel centre caps. Different to quite a few I have seen. The rear wheel lip inner edge is 2 1/4 inches wide. Fortunately I have acquired the correct ones. You wouldn’t believe how difficult that was! I  really need your help out there to get one 15 x1 (Essex style) outer lip. Once I have  one I can make an exact copy of the wheels. Surely someone in the world has one they could sell me? It would be a shame to come this far and be short a lip! If Any of our foreign friends are reading I can collect from just about anywhere.....

If not there a company who said they will be remaking them but I can’t pin them down on timescale.

Hi.

Great information. Thank you.  I'm going for an open end at the lower racks (I call them cradles).  This will allow draining of snow and rain etc. AND if longer skis need to be fitted and/or skis have those additional shock-absorber thingies on them that prevent the clamp securing down properly, i've got the ability to move the ski along back and forth to find a secure fit.  

I think a metal bracket within the rack will work well.  It's all going to be offering up and 'seeing' what works best for you and your design.

exciting stuff...

so c'mon, what did you get in the gift shop?

It’s really nice to know exactly how the car was put together and what wheels and interior it had, especially after my internet research was exhausted.

Didn’t really get anything but it’s a fantastic car museum, there’s nothing like it  anywhere. There’s so much stuff such as the Jetstar from Goldfinger, Bonds watches, clothes, props micro jet x2. The list goes on and on. They even had Professor Fates car from the movie the great race and his Rocket inventions. David Hasselhoffs personal Knight Rider Kitt, which he aledgidly sold and is trying to buy back, bit old for it now I think!

OFF PIste!

I'm bored of wheels, skis yes! Not really appropriate for his site  unless you happen to be making the FYEO car. I was very lucky to have aquired two sets of the Tyrolia 380 bindings. After a lot if research I secured two pairs the trouble is one pair is red and not  dayglow orange. I have match the paint to respray, but then I had a problem as the decals had to be rubbed off. I've solved this now. I am making the exact decals buy photographing them and printing them on Vinyl decal paper that can be used on your laser printer!IMG_1227.thumb.PNG.ad771a1199ebfb6d2e75cf95dcebdc79.PNGIMG_1305.thumb.JPG.c9fef29a323665616d56fbe945d46a56.JPGthe lower binding is the Bond Colour! The upper one is being resprayed.

• Like 1

Burglar protected

IMG_3190.thumb.PNG.2ab1c7d74872d47f2e7b85c4ff78e0eb.PNG

I have a solution. Is anyone on here into photography? The way ahead I think  is to edit the photo above. Redraw the edges of the protected and remove and fill in the triangle with a dark red. I used to have software that can do this. You could then repost the photo after editing and we all could download it and print it directly to Vinyl decal paper for laser printing. Shouldn't take very long if you have the software and do it all the time? Thanks.

Used to use Photoshop many years ago. You could select a colour expand the pictures and paint over edges and background. There are apps that will do it but they aren't good enough. Some professional software is needed.

Of course.  Unfortunately I don't have this.  I'm sure someone out there will have.

1 hour ago, Lotusfab said:

Burglar protected

IMG_3190.thumb.PNG.2ab1c7d74872d47f2e7b85c4ff78e0eb.PNG

I have a solution. Is anyone on here into photography? The way ahead I think  is to edit the photo above. Redraw the edges of the protected and remove and fill in the triangle with a dark red. I used to have software that can do this. You could then repost the photo after editing and we all could download it and print it directly to Vinyl decal paper for laser printing. Shouldn't take very long if you have the software and do it all the time? Thanks.

This is why better photography was necessary. Framed well to include all that was required, and directly in front, not taken from an oblique angle. Ideally at 300dpi.

It can be done but parts of the image will need reconstructing once the original image is orientated an skewed. I just hope the photos aren't sub-200dpi, otherwise the original font will need to be found for accurate reproduction.

"We'll fix it in post" is the laughable phrase we use. We just love that phrase....l

I believe these stickers have been recreated by some Copper Fire ET owners already.

I could, very much so. However the quality of the source is in question. Remember what I said about "rubbish in equates rubbish out"? So depending upon the quality of the original photo you need to perhaps temper your expectations.

An Adobe PhotoShop (.psd) could be created.

Post the properties of the photo <right-click> the image in Windows, then <summary tab>, or look at use the <file Info> in OS X; Namely the length & breadth dimensions in pixels, as well as the dots per inch resolution/density (dpi).

The problem you may have are in defining the correct colour, and if insufficient resolution, the font used, which may need to be recreated (physically re-typed).

Also, did you measure at least one of the complete edges to provide a scale? As that cannot be accurately extrapolated from the photograph.

Edited by Fridge