free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 95 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lotusfab

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

The early 4 speaker option came with the two rear bulkhead speakers and the two front facia speakers (under perforations). The speakers were made by Audax...both front and rear.

Two speaker systems had only the oval door speakers..also behind perforations.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
28 minutes ago, Andyww said:

Which of the many speaker configurations does the Bond car have?

Those are in the bulkhead I assume, so does it have the oval TV speakers (crap) in the doors near the top? 

Or speakers in the front corners of the fascia? The picture of the museum label seems to show some perforations in the fascia. Thats yet another configuration I have never seen before, speakers mounted below the fascia with perforations above rather than a grille? Or is that a reflection of the door perforations?

The early Turbo Esprits ie. Essex and some of the early Dry sumps, had the speakers built into the fascia (for 4 speaker option as Richard states) with perforations in the covering leather.

Right, so early ones were perforations in the fascia but later they seemed to fit grilles over the fascia speakers, of the same type as the bulkhead speakers, which do spoil the clean lines of the fascia somewhat IMHO.

Did they ever make 2 Esprits identical :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Andyww said:

Right, so early ones were perforations in the fascia but later they seemed to fit grilles over the fascia speakers, of the same type as the bulkhead speakers, which do spoil the clean lines of the fascia somewhat IMHO.

Did they ever make 2 Esprits identical :)

I imagine it was much easier and quicker to form one hole for the later facia speakers to drop in than to faff about creating the detail in the earlier pic...and also the perforated leather. 

Might have been easier but not an improvement aesthetically.

• Thanks 1

Can’t believe they’d show a car that’s in that state inside - sad really but I suppose nobody gets to see the inside normally, but still! So do you think it’s done 119,000 miles then? I wonder who did all the miles in it given it seems to have been off the road for a large part of its life.

Yep you are not allowed in and it still looks good from the outside.

• Like 1

These were publicity and development cars so workhorses really. It's not surprising that they rack up a lot of mileage.

The main Bond S1 had over 100,000 miles on it by the late 1970's according to someone who had a drive in it.

The servo has arrived Type 50. Will examine and report back.

Thanks to the usual helpers on here I now have three 38 mm wheel centre badges(thanks lads). Can anyone spare a single one they have lying around then the wheel centres will be finished.

The caliper parts have arrived from S and J so should have them done soon!

• Thanks 1

Rear caliper

one is fully reassembled. In my opinion you can't service it to an accepable standard without taking apart the bit they say you shouldn't dismantle. Why, because the handbrake mechanism levers a small metal bean shape that pushes on the back of the piston. The sleeve around it with splines moves in a hole with the small seal. .the problem is this bit will have corroded over 38 years restricting the smooth operation of the handbrake. It could result in much more effort to actuate the handbrake, sticking and failure of the handbrake lever mount. 

This bit is easy toIMG_3507.thumb.JPG.e5eae37d2430e7f3035bdca0afeb2961.JPG reassemble with a vice and socket to compress the spring whilst you put the clip back IMG_3505.thumb.JPG.72cc8190f94b1061b9a05a0a3d156ed3.JPGdIMG_3506.thumb.JPG.03e3b98c6ab68cd138b4619e10ebeaca.JPGon.

Agree, this needs to be done properly, exactly this way. I didnt know that "they" said you shouldnt dismantle here so i did it in blissful ignorance!

Who are "they" though?

Did you manage to source the seals on the handbrake lever shaft and the internal one? The SJ ones were wrong, for me.

Regards the condition of the Bond car, do we know that it was re-trimmed inside when it was resprayed copper? If it was, that means all the wear came from during and after its Bond days rather than from its early days as a press hack.

To be clear compressing a spring could be dangerous and I'm not suggesting anyone emulates what I have posted - if you do you do so at your own risk! If it slips off you could be seriously hurt!

heres what the manual says and of course you should follow it to the letter! This is an extract from THEM!IMG_3508.thumb.PNG.348a4f046605bdf8d64eb56afb991de6.PNG

Sadly the servo bolts are in the wrong place and the pushrods is too short, although it could be adapted. The four pedal box bolts are an issue.

I dismantled the ones on my S1 without issue - had to, because they dripped fluid. I had Big Redd send me a seal overhaul kit which in the end also turned out to be the incorrect size. The important one (which prevents the fluid leaking out of the handbrake lever arm) is the O-ring underneath the plate of the arm. I think I just measured up and ordered a Viton ring of the size from the many suppliers on eBay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

going back to the speakers in the dash, my dry sump car is May 82 and has the perforated leather dash. :) 

It's getting there......

3 hours ago, jonroberts said:

and ordered a Viton ring of the size from the many suppliers on eBay.

Hmm - Not sure Viton is compatible with brake fluid?   Looks like EDPM may be the best option  (cooincidentely , I've just been looking at O Ring materials today for another application)

12 minutes ago, 910Esprit said:

Hmm - Not sure Viton is compatible with brake fluid?   Looks like EDPM may be the best option  (cooincidentely , I've just been looking at O Ring materials today for another application)

Thanks - that prompted me to check the markings on O-ring box that I used, and they weren't Viton, they are just marked as "Nitrile" which I believe is safe for brake fluid.  Phew .. I'l see if I can edit my previous post to avoid mistakes :blush:.  Nope, can't edit it.

Fab all this jetsetting is having an effect on your attention to detail. I see 4 black brackets on your front bumper and one silver one. Unless that's how you found it on the Bond car your standards are slipping! Focus man...I expect your car to be perfect.B-)

• Haha 1

Fabian

Have you a picture of your rear brake pads?  One of my cars has the silver sprung plate but the other doesnt.  The pads on the car without the sprung plates have like a sprung wire piece on the back so I assume with discs like that the previous owner removed the sprung plates you have.

Hi Phil

my brake pads are separate they have no wire. There are  anti rattle sprung plates on all calipers and plates on each side on the front. I got them all from S and J, as per this picture.IMG_3521.thumb.PNG.28fba56b95399f0f5de8ee360ec802ef.PNG

IMG_3522.thumb.PNG.4cbc58cc5bec61999d73d0ccb29f64bf.PNG