free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 97 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Andy,

no the main chasis side braces for the side impact protection. They bolt through to the door shut and onto the rear beam in the engine bay?

I will post a picture of these as I can't find them anywhere. I am tempted to do a step by step picture log of the bolt back together, as I'm fed up trying to find stuff.

I was searching for the side brace bolts and then stumbled across them. I now have all the fixings and bolts in one box. Most of them are corroded and need replacing! 

My next problem the fuel tank banjos. Anyone know what size they are? Presumably on the Turbo one tank is blocked off with a bolt and the other feeds the pump?

I can't remember as my S1 is different.

Phew! Let's discuss over a beer in The Mouse's Pocket or wherever we meet near Chester-le-Street.

Thankfully the DVLA have announced a reduction in the facility they offer parking companies to obtain vehicle registration details.

Guys was told my old dry sump turbo .Ex lotus press car .Chassis number 10962 .reg opw679w.all Essex spec but with bbs wheels was sent to pinewood also .Told this by a previous owner .Interesting ..I know I waffle on about my old car .But as you all know you feel lucky to have owned a piece of history in a nice way .....Mike

• Like 1

World High-Definition Premieres of 17 James Bond Classics on VOOM's FilmFest HD Airing All Month, Uncut and Commercial Free, With David Hasselhoff as on-air host Titles Include favorites like Diamonds Are Forever, License To Kill, From Russia With Love and Goldfinger

Live Interactive Auction on Treasure HD, June 17, Direct From Planet Hollywood Times Square (NY) Presented by Julien's Auctions Will Feature Rare Bond Memorabilia Including the Original Lotus Prototype Driven By Roger Moore in For Your Eyes Only, Estimated at $250,000-$350,000-An Important International Auction Event With Simultaneous Bidding from Planet Hollywood London, Japan, Australia and more

New York/London - How cool is James Bond? The sleek spy-gizmos, fast cars, beautiful women...a man to envy! Now imagine all that Bond has to offer in vivid high definition--the gadgets are shinier, the cars are faster, and the women, well that's a whole other story…

Starting on June 1st and throughout the month, 17 high-definition world premieres of James Bond classics will roll out on FILMFEST HD (DISH Network, Channel 9475), one of the VOOM HD Networks, the largest suite of high-definition channels available anywhere. Experience classic Bond films uncut and commercial-free, in startling 1080i HD clarity and 5.1 surround sound, when FilmFest HD goes "Ultimate Bond" for the entire month. Titles are: Diamonds Are Forever (1971), Dr. No (1962), For Your Eyes Only (1981), From Russia With Love (1963), Goldfinger (1964), License to Kill (1989), Live and Let Die (1973), The Living Daylights (1987), The Man with the Golden Gun (1974), Moonraker (1979), Never Say Never Again (1983), Octopussy (1983), On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969), The Spy Who Loved Me (1977), Thunderball (1967), A View to a Kill (1985), You Only Live Twice (1968). David Hasselhoff will be the on-air host.

James Bond - Roger Moore - Lotus

Anchoring this unprecedented programming event is an all-day live auction presented by Julien's Auction's (www.juliensauctions.com) featuring some of the most collectible memorabilia from one of the greatest franchises in film-making history. Viewers will get the chance to have some of Bond's cool for their very own on Saturday, June 17 from 12:00 PM to 5:00 PM ET, when TREASURE HD (DISH Network-Channel 9473) airs a live auction from Planet Hollywood in New York, with audio simulcast and live concurrent bidding at Planet Hollywood in London. For this important auction, which will feature over 50 lots of James Bond memorabilia. TREASURE HD, the first and only 24/7 high-definition channel for and about people with a passion for collecting, partners for the third time with JULIEN'S AUCTIONS, the premiere Los Angeles auction house specializing in high-end celebrity memorabilia. During the event, viewers can bid from the comfort of home, by going online at juliensauctions.com. The catalog of the sale can be found at the Julien's web site, where pre-bids can also be entered. An auction preview show, highlighting the stories behind the sale's top draws, will premiere on TREASURE HD on May 20th.

3 hours ago, Sweatow said:

World High-Definition Premieres of 17 James Bond Classics on VOOM's FilmFest HD Airing All Month, Uncut and Commercial Free, With David Hasselhoff as on-air host Titles Include favorites like Diamonds Are Forever, License To Kill, From Russia With Love and Goldfinger

Live Interactive Auction on Treasure HD, June 17, Direct From Planet Hollywood Times Square (NY) Presented by Julien's Auctions Will Feature Rare Bond Memorabilia Including the Original Lotus Prototype Driven By Roger Moore in For Your Eyes Only, Estimated at $250,000-$350,000-An Important International Auction Event With Simultaneous Bidding from Planet Hollywood London, Japan, Australia and more

New York/London - How cool is James Bond? The sleek spy-gizmos, fast cars, beautiful women...a man to envy! Now imagine all that Bond has to offer in vivid high definition--the gadgets are shinier, the cars are faster, and the women, well that's a whole other story…

Starting on June 1st and throughout the month, 17 high-definition world premieres of James Bond classics will roll out on FILMFEST HD (DISH Network, Channel 9475), one of the VOOM HD Networks, the largest suite of high-definition channels available anywhere. Experience classic Bond films uncut and commercial-free, in startling 1080i HD clarity and 5.1 surround sound, when FilmFest HD goes "Ultimate Bond" for the entire month. Titles are: Diamonds Are Forever (1971), Dr. No (1962), For Your Eyes Only (1981), From Russia With Love (1963), Goldfinger (1964), License to Kill (1989), Live and Let Die (1973), The Living Daylights (1987), The Man with the Golden Gun (1974), Moonraker (1979), Never Say Never Again (1983), Octopussy (1983), On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969), The Spy Who Loved Me (1977), Thunderball (1967), A View to a Kill (1985), You Only Live Twice (1968). David Hasselhoff will be the on-air host.

James Bond - Roger Moore - Lotus

Anchoring this unprecedented programming event is an all-day live auction presented by Julien's Auction's (www.juliensauctions.com) featuring some of the most collectible memorabilia from one of the greatest franchises in film-making history. Viewers will get the chance to have some of Bond's cool for their very own on Saturday, June 17 from 12:00 PM to 5:00 PM ET, when TREASURE HD (DISH Network-Channel 9473) airs a live auction from Planet Hollywood in New York, with audio simulcast and live concurrent bidding at Planet Hollywood in London. For this important auction, which will feature over 50 lots of James Bond memorabilia. TREASURE HD, the first and only 24/7 high-definition channel for and about people with a passion for collecting, partners for the third time with JULIEN'S AUCTIONS, the premiere Los Angeles auction house specializing in high-end celebrity memorabilia. During the event, viewers can bid from the comfort of home, by going online at juliensauctions.com. The catalog of the sale can be found at the Julien's web site, where pre-bids can also be entered. An auction preview show, highlighting the stories behind the sale's top draws, will premiere on TREASURE HD on May 20th.

The car above is NCL458V the lower photo was taken outside Cars of the Stars Keswick. Dr. Peter Nelson (proprietor of C of T S) sold it in the mid 2000s due to financial problems with his 2nd museum in Scotland failing so I was told he needed the money at that time.

He kept the car that was of lower value 10930 OPW654W to maintain his Bond display at Keswick. I state again NCL458V was NEVER fitted with the FYEO stickers making it easy to tell the difference between the 2 cars. No tag was added to NCL Chassis it has an interior plaque. I know this as a fact as I had access to the car and inspected it in the early 90s when I owned MPW71V and was researching MPW's connection to the film.  Peter Nelson was also very interested in MPW and its history. 

Cheers Mike

Edited by G_Reaper2
  • Thanks 1

Finally the last parts are at my powder coaters. I use Aurora Powder Coating in Ash vale, good lads!

I am mindful of Final editions excellent wheel building blogs. As a result I intend to spray the centres to match the decal gold colour. I know the thickness of powder coat causes assembly problems. The lips are polished and the Barrels powder coated satin black. I have some new bolts, washers and rubber sealing ring. Just have to switch the hubs over and install the new bearings. Mike at Lotusbits installed the new bearings for me so should be easy to ipswitch, but then again it is a lotus! I'm lucky though I have a 25 T hydraulic puller which is useful fir fixing the old Disco3! 

Still no wiser on the Banjo bolts I can say they are not 12 mm or 1/2 UNf. I'm starting to think 13 mm? 

I have ordered a Bosch inline fuel filter and the car came with a new fuel pump already. I have ordered the carpet in the Bond colour which I checked from a sample against the original. The Brake Servo should be restored tomorrow and the door beam is complete.

IMG_3608.thumb.PNG.9489752a99286d74857a033522d259d5.PNG

Will be getting Steve Fulcher to sort the interior. Only fitting he should have trimmed both of these Bond cars. I'm looking for a leather binding to match the original Conelly colour as per the picture. I don't want the interior to look brand new as I think it woypuld loose its character. Just a well finished version of the original below. This colour scheme looks  as if it might have been inspired by the 70s! With some gold plate in the interior, Elvis might have like it! IMG_0552.thumb.JPG.f3ace920dd2244890b80c093ca8dd7b5.JPGshould look very retro! 

The Deezer car is the first Turbo Esprit I’ve seen with carpets that have contrast binding on the edges. Did have me wondering if the film car had this? I think it would look much better without this binding - not keen on the light cream steering wheel either but can see why you’d want to leave that as it is noticeably correct from the film footage.

Edit : after a bit of searching I’ve just answered my own query with this photo......seen this one many times but never picked up on that carpet detail. Keep up the good work Fabian:thumbup:

5C5A325C-AF61-4793-A6BC-C80BD0E3EA98.png

• Thanks 1

Yep MPW71V was the first to be trimmed in this way and the carpet was edged in leather hide the same as the seats not vynl as per production cars, Fabian is aware of this detail.

Cheers Mike

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

The Deezer car is the first Turbo Esprit I’ve seen with carpets that have contrast binding on the edges. Did have me wondering if the film car had this? I think it would look much better without this binding - not keen on the light cream steering wheel either but can see why you’d want to leave that as it is noticeably correct from the film footage.

Edit : after a bit of searching I’ve just answered my own query with this photo......seen this one many times but never picked up on that carpet detail. Keep up the good work Fabian:thumbup:

5C5A325C-AF61-4793-A6BC-C80BD0E3EA98.png

Would be nice to recreate this picture!

Steve,  I am at the point of having to ensue all of the black areas on the car are Turbo correct. Haveing the most authentic car I know of Is the can't rail blacked out around the door area like the S1. Also does the door shut have  black painted continuation line of the waistline trim? These are the areas on the S1, is the Turbo identical?IMG_3609.thumb.PNG.f4870d5f10f30f0352e0303f55ef9b85.PNGIMG_3610.thumb.PNG.43e911f5e3e6d9ef77e3ba8eb01ea325.PNG

Is then rear quarter window black area the same? Thanks!IMG_3611.thumb.PNG.2572fb3bad6b86deb6e04c5dc43670a9.PNG

• Like 1