free hit
counters
Bugger I broke it! - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

• Gold FFM

Chaps,

driving along today, pulled up in some traffic, on the worlds busiest road, clutch goes to the floor can't select any gears. Cue loads of horns, i managed tp push it to the side of the road. My faith in humanity came back today as the guy who's drive I was parked across came out and helped me get it on the pavement then made me a cup of coffee.

so two things, if you do ever have to call out a recovery lorry make sure you get one with a fully demountable back as the first guy out couldn't get it on his as the car was too low. This ended up with me spending 3 hours waiting for the next one in the pissing rain. 

Secondly and more importantly does anyone have any idea what it could be or shall I just send it up to Gerald? Fabian I am sure you said you had a decent guy that could pick up.

thanks in advance for any replies

Dan 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Barry you was spot on no clutch fluid, thats as far as I got before I got a call out with a UPS gone down just what you want on a Sunday!! I have a manic two weeks ahead so think I am going to have a

Unlike Esprit fuel tanks, which are deliquesant.... Dissolve in moisture absorbed from the atmosphere....!

Dan (Good Name BTW) it does have the braided clutch pipe. I am sure its nothing too major, these things happen don't they its all part of the fun really 

• Gold FFM

Barry

i will have a look tomorrow I guess I am going to need to find the source of the leak first though.

any pointers it been years since I have got under, over, in the oily bits 

Dan 

• Gold FFM

Clutch master by the peddle under the bonnet.

clutch Slave sat on the gearbox. All visible with some effort

might be a knackered master cylinder - all easily tested and fixed

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Sure the Slave is off a landrover or something - not expensive though either way. Fingers crossed. Normally if it's the master - there will be fluid all over the place and maybe down the peddle

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Barry you was spot on no clutch fluid, thats as far as I got before I got a call out with a UPS gone down just what you want on a Sunday!! I have a manic two weeks ahead so think I am going to have a chat with Gerald and send it up to him to sort this of me, if he can fit me in, and a get couple other little bits done if poss at the same time. 

• Like 2

Not sure if yours has the braided clutch pipe fitted or not, but worth getting one fitted if it has not during this time Dan if you are having other repair work done imo. :)

A

• Gold FFM

Dan (Good Name BTW)

it does have the braided clutch pipe. I am sure its nothing too major, these things happen don't they its all part of the fun really 

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

And idea where the puddle of fluid has gone.

its a doddle to refil and find out what's gone on 

Only here once

I've recently renewed the hydraulics for the clutch on my '85 turbo. Landrover master cylinder, same for slave cylinder and new braided clutch hose from SJ. About £80 all in plus fluid and rolling around underneath for a couple of hours. Not too difficult to do and should set you up for trouble free clutch hydraulics for a good few years :)

Steve.

• Gold FFM

Barry it got dumped in the rain coming off the A2 so no idea to be honest. I will fill it up tomorrow and have a look

steve that is a spectacular looking Esprit. 

• Gold FFM

If you can't see it - my money would be on the Slave cylinder then - simple cheap and easy

Only here once

• Gold FFM

simple, cheap and easy music to my ears. I am having a very expensive month on cars as had to have the keyed side of my other car done I then put it up for sale and the very next day mullered a wheel on it doing some interference parking outside my boys school. The first one I have done as well Grrrrrrr! 

Hydraulic fluid is hygroscopic...absorbs water...and that can rust away the inside of the master cylinder, dumping the fluid. Slave cylinder ditto...so best thing is to replace both, cheap enough in the great scheme of things...and change the fluid regularly thereafter. Mine was sat doing nothing for several years as I resprayed it in a desultory fashion...at the end, the master cylinder...which had been new when I started on the respray...was totally cattled. Luckily I can do clutchless gear changes!! Should have changed the fluid...bit didn't think!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, molemot said:

Hydraulic fluid is hygroscopic...absorbs water...

Unlike Esprit fuel tanks, which are deliquesant.... Dissolve in moisture absorbed from the atmosphere....!

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Still rots though!!!

and the cost of the tanks I had custom made - was a no brainer

I may need to replace mine Barry, I agree stainless is the sensible option, we're did you get yours, ?  and if you don't mind me asking how much ?