free hit
counters
How precious are you about your car? - Page 2 - Detailing - Sponsored by ValetPro - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Stuno1

How precious are you about your car?

Mine is my daily driver.  Which has turned out to be far less of a commitment than I thought it was going to be - but as such, I like to believe I'm not overly precious about the car.

Since February 2015, I've covered about 26,000 miles (42,000 KM).  I've collected a tiny, but increasingly annoying, nick in the passenger door from a cyclist's pedal in stationary traffic (didn't notice at the time).  The seat bolster has a some light scuffing from my fat arse getting in and out.  My Diamond Cut Alloys really need a refurb where I've had water ingress under the lacquer.  Oh, and the drivers side seatbelt cover (the plastic triangle at the top) is damaged.

These are all minor though and, with the exception of the alloys, nothing to do with how the car was designed, built or finished.  They're on a list to get resolved, but as my car is in pretty much daily use it's a matter of putting the time aside to get them sorted.

SO, if I follow that logic I'm not precious at all...

... however...

I do wash the car weekly, and pretty bloody thoroughly.  About once a month it gets a proper deep clean, polish and wax.  About once every six months I get the car professionally cleaned by Ben @ Pro Reflect (who I can thoroughly recommend) who has recently applied a SiRamik Coating.

No food or drink is consumed in the car, and it's cleared of detritus (parking tickets etc) pretty much instantaneously.

On top of this the Evora gets a weekly POWDER (Power, Oil, Water, Damage, Electrics, Rubber) check.

So, as I read back what I've written I'm starting to think that I just might be a bit precious after all...

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

In my experience..... and this is no reflection of the good people of this forum..... but those who claim 'OCD' or some form of fastidious commitment to car care, are usually peddling well polished turds.

• Like 1

I'm no doubt in the 'overly precious' camp. Car is washed at least every 3-4 days, once a month or every 1k miles (whichever comes first, usually it's the mileage trigger as I've covered 22k in 18 months) it has a wheels-off major clean (arches, brake and suspension components etc) and includes a full polish and rewax of the bodywork, then every 6 months it's a thorough deep clean with glaze reapplication. Anytime I go away anywhere for even a few days, a full cleaning kit goes with me, and at all times there's a speed detailer spray and some microfiber cloths in the boot for those 'just in case' moments.

For @Daniel , this is how I try to keep my well polished turd looking............ (and that's it just having completed a 300 mile drive).Evora 01.jpg

• Like 1

During the winter months, if I do see an exotic car covered in crap and filth I do actually feel respect for the car and driver because it's clearly more than a garage queen, so I'll probably adopt this approach with mine when the weather turns sub-zero and washing it means frozen fingers.

Another polished turd owner here!

Better than an unpolished one surely?

opwforestdec15-11_zpsoynrpgg1.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

Every time I arrange to go somewhere it pisses down.

And the "game plan" with the Harley is?...:lol:

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

My very own highly polished non running turd........ 

polished turd.jpg

That's a highly polished poo indeed :wub:

4 hours ago, The Pits said:

Another polished turd owner here!

Better than an unpolished one surely?

opwforestdec15-11_zpsoynrpgg1.jpg

Oh my. :wub:

I have driven that car in torrential rain twice but it's not something I hope to repeat. Especially having just resprayed the inside of the wheelarches while the wheels were off.

I have done 1000 miles since owning it. I had planned for to do nearer double that by now but two of my longer journeys to MBW in the Spring and Brands in August we thwarted. I do make sure to fire it up and drive it at least once a month where possible.

With 23,465 miles showing since new I do feel obliged to preserve its very lovely original condition.

If that means putting up with a bit of flack on here then so be it.

Funny though, the number of people advising others to put miles on their cars seems to far exceed the number of people who want to buy high mileage cars!

• Like 2

When you've ruined yours with loads of miles - just drop me a PM and I'll come and whisk her away for you

6 hours ago, Neal H said:

During the winter months, if I do see an exotic car covered in crap and filth I do actually feel respect for the car and driver because it's clearly more than a garage queen, so I'll probably adopt this approach with mine when the weather turns sub-zero and washing it means frozen fingers.

Sub zero is when I won't wash it. Probably not an issue but with the possibility of paint blisters I'd not take the chance.

7 hours ago, Iconic Ride said:

And the "game plan" with the Harley is?...:lol:

I'm afraid the Harley has been a bit neglected this year, the novelty of the Lotus is not showing any sign of wearing off, I'm hooked. I'd sell the Harley to pay for bits and bobs for the Lotus, but Mrs V8 loves the Harley, whereas the Lotus scares the shit out of her. And yes it still pisses down if I take the Harley out.

14 hours ago, The Pits said:

I have driven that car in torrential rain twice but it's not something I hope to repeat. Especially having just resprayed the inside of the wheelarches while the wheels were off.

Funny though, the number of people advising others to put miles on their cars seems to far exceed the number of people who want to buy high mileage cars!

Driving in (heavy) rain with an Esprit is indeed far from ideal. What bothers me the most is the spray from other vehicles, the big flat windscreen seems to be the perfect target for that. Hail on a glass roof is also far from fun!

To be fair, I for one never judge a car by it's mileage. I do take note of it of course, but only as far as to try and make an estimate of parts needing repair/rebuild (or already been taken care of) and the price should reflect the state of wear and tear. I agree I'm probably an exception...