free hit
counters
The Grand Tour - Page 4 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

The Grand Tour

Much better than the first episode IMHO.

After being really disappointed with the first episode I am going to cut them some slack.  Clarkson & co did 23 series / 180 episodes over 13 years.  I don't remember the early episodes but suspect it took a few to get the formula right / develop the chemistry between the presenters.  Also for the last few series the show was a bit stale / felt like they could not really be bothered. 

I forget the name of the  guy who got punched but if as a result we get 2 decent TV series, each competing to be the best then I for one would like to buy him a drink.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That's go to hurt Evans. He worries more about viewer/listener figures than anything else. Of course he can add on the catch-up figures, but so can any other show so that's not really the point. People have been recording programmes to watch later for decades. I assume that the accepted reference for ratings is those that watch the show as it's broadcast. Seems reasonable to me.

Maybe the whole Top Gear car show format has run its course and the ratings wouldn't have been any better with the 3 Amigos at the helm? Maybe Amazon has been sold an overpriced pup?

Re Top Gear "catch up" figures, I think of Iplayer for TG not for catching up but for providing a choose your own bits facility. Just watched "My Top Gear plus Extra Gear" in a total of 20 minutes.  Quite a decent show!  I don't foresee watching it any other way now.

I have heard some BBC exec say they can check not only the number of Iplayer views, but the amount of time spent on a view. I wonder what figures they will be publishing.

• Like 1

I agree - better this week. Not sure abou Evans starting in a hospital bed - seemed a bit silly. MLB must have read the positive comments and got confidence - he was better with the "live" bits and definitely the star on the SUV film. It could quite easily do without EJ. 

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

Better this week !! Im not sure thats a good thing compared to last weeks dross. It really couldn't have been any worse. Chris Evans is a really poor fit for this show, it just doesn't work for me. The format is a pale shadow and not even a reflection of whats gone before. Im done. Jog on Low Gear.

• Like 1

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Watched Top gear and extra gear on iplayer today, not enough interesting car stuff and to much talking and Evan's shouting, hit the fast forward button through most of it, trying to like it but can't stand Evan's and Eddie Jordan.

Edited by little fella

• Gold FFM

I'd be tempted to watch it but I cannot stand Chris Evans. Funnily enough, I used to like him when he was on Radio 1 years ago, but these days it's like his personality and shouty performance is just too much for me.

Margate Exotics.

1. Was it great? NO.
  2. Was it good? NO
  3. Was it worse than the other car shows? Not really
  4. Can there be enough car shows on TV? NO
  5. Will I watch it? See Answerr to question 4.

Must say, the second episode was much better. I liked the South Africa piece, even if it was far below old Topgear standards (remember the Nile episode). Matt is certainly a highlight. Evans remains an absolute disaster. I was hoping it would be something more serious when they rolled him in, maybe something terminal. 

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

16 hours ago, mdavies said:

I have heard some BBC exec say they can check not only the number of Iplayer views, but the amount of time spent on a view. I wonder what figures they will be publishing.

Good, I skipped through both TG and EG in under 10 mins!

I didn't realise how scripted the dialogue was on TG; It just sounds like Evans is doing a voice over of Clarksons dialogue, perhaps everyone credits Clarkson with too much in the way of ad libbing?

I also get the feeling EG will never be allowed to eclipse the expensive names on the main show even though it has the potential. The TG presenters seem to have as much screen time there as well, you can't escape the annoying twats (Eddie Jordan, what a vile person). EG would be nice if it was just another Chris Harris Youtube video which strangely feel better executed than the shouty Saturday morning kids show they want it to be.

Sad, sad...but I just have to face the facts that, like James Bond films, it just ain't what it used to be and the world has moved on so it never will. Time to move on.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Ok, so my 2 cents worth. I agree with everyone in that I think Evans is a poor fit for the show. MLB is, for me, a revelation and I think will fast eclipse Evans.

I still DON'T think it's funny. There is too much typical Evans stuff.

The Star in an overpriced German pile of crap would work well if it wasn't for the rediculous format of "Tell me what the other person is doing" and "who has the better car". 

I preferred the format of this show with the 3 SUV's BUT once again they have taken the most expensive cars they possibly can. I know they are trying to change the format somewhat and Clarkson and co used to get "We were given £1500 and asked to meet up at...." but it just seems like a rich boys club at present. This wasn't helped by the McLaren test "Oh what was that Chris? You just bought one?" There's a surprise.

It wasn't a good test either really because everyone in the Car industry knows the Porsche is about one of the most useless off roaders about with such huge tyres it struggles for grip in Chelsea (which is where most of them are).

I dunno. I'm trying to be objective but I just find it all so...............Chris Evans'y. What with all his mates suddenly appearing, cars that he has, manicness.....

Is it just me or did "The News" in the old TG sort of bring it more down to earth with stuff about Ford Mondeo's, Dacia Sandero's etc. It sort of gave me a reality check that this new series hasn't given us yet. 

I really, really want to see a test of some more resonable cars...........old TG never did the Exige S for example! Hows about that vs a £250,000 supercar to show how good it is on track!!

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

That was better, less Chris Evans. Laura did ask who the new 'knob' was, I introduced her to Chris Harris! :lol:

I do like Rory Reid, he's very personable.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

So should I go trawling the internet to see if I can watch it, or wait for the moment?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

The less Evans (and his strawberries), the more Leblanc the better. Sabine is good as long as she doesn't talk (as a female Stig?). I find Chris Harris annoying, but Rory Reid was pretty good.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

He is certainly that but I thought his Ferrari tdf piece was the best thing on last night's show. He was surprisingly uncomfortable with the live bits though and it was atrocious to be plugging the 'Porsch-a 911' on his first ever appearance. 

Trying to make the Ken Block thing funny didn't work nor was it funny. Chris Evans continues to prove he's not really a 'car guy'. He looked geniunely terrified in the R8 which just goes to show how wasted his La Ferrari is. They are also editing in someone else doing the oversteer, you never see him catch opposite lock from inside the car. At least Clarkson was actually doing the sliding, really lame of TG and Evans to edit in a pro driver for the action shots.

I haven't forgotten how everyone used to moan about Clarkson and Top Gear while watching it every week, much like we continue to watch it now. But the new series is a very weak version of what's gone before but it remains the only big budget car show, so therefore technically the best. But they can't replicate the chemistry, cameraderie, wit, daring, outrageousness and daftness of the 'old' Top Gear. It used to regularly annoy me too and there was definitely a sense of them scraping the barrel in later seasons but at its best it was brilliant.

Was almost half interested last night, as we were almost half told about how something actually worked on a car, and I think they may have actually let us see an actual engine! (or did I fall asleep and was dreaming...)