free hit
counters
The Grand Tour - Page 6 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

The Grand Tour

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I loved the Vulcan bit. Harris is good imho. SS is very awkward to watch. 

Tesla X in NYC was pretty damn good... 

Still not as good as Jezza but they are warming up and it's much better than I thought it would be after the piece of crap that was the first episode! 

7/10

On 20 June 2016 at 07:06, Mark Blanchard said:

The reason I ask is the guys on the Mustang forum said it was the biggest pile of shite they'd ever seen and wanted their tv licence money back.  So it wasn't that bad . . .

(Maybe the Mustang forum doesn't like the fact that a Tesla would kick its arse in a straight line! and a Golf GTi would kick its bottom around a corner!!, they look pretty though?)

1 hour ago, auRouge said:

Harris needs a slap imho

:)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I absolutely hated the Tesla and Vulcan items. One was over a million and can't be driven in Europe and the other was a £250,000 electric prototype that the presenter said had a range of 250 miles yet one report I read said that when driven in insane mode "just once, effected it to the tune of 100 miles".

And I don't like those 2 presenters either.

I did enjoy the train vs car vs bike bit but it was identical to many pieces done by the old team.

Lastly, I watch it in the hope that a real British car will be present at some point (a Lotus) and because MLB seriously makes it. The rest can go whistle!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

12 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

I absolutely hated the Tesla and Vulcan items. One was over a million and can't be driven in Europe and the other was a £250,000 electric prototype that the presenter said had a range of 250 miles yet one report I read said that when driven in insane mode "just once, effected it to the tune of 100 miles"

I watched with my father in law and he loved both articles.  

Based on my straw poll of one the less car-educated don't want to a chris goffey style of informative journalism.  They want something they can go "wow" at and both did that imho.  The tesla piece in particular left him slack jawed that there were cars that can do that.   To call the X a prototype is a bit harsh as the model S offers virtually the same tech. There's one in my car park now....so i know it exists :P

As it happened i thought both were pretty good too.    Your mileage / interest / happiness will vary but that's what makes life interesting.  I do find it interesting that many forums were full of threads complaining about clarkson are now full of threads complaining about the new line up. 

Edited by LazyDonkey

17 hours ago, Bibs said:

:)

Haha!! Very funny. 

Gentleman, it's change... Accept it! ?

The Vulcan sounded incredible, soooo much better than a 2016 F1 car! Hats off Aston...

I'm a bit smitten by V12 Astons at the moment..  recently had the pleasure of driving this down the Route Napoleon on the way to the Monaco GP last month, my god what an epic engine and drive! Had a 675LT in the group who commented on how effortlessly the Aston  pulls away.. Just gorgeous. That was v fast, I can't imagine what the Vulcan would feel like, brutal ?

image.jpeg

Edited by auRouge
  • Like 1

I still haven't watched a single episode of this. You guys aren't making me regret it either. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Ah, GTR the FINAL SOLUTION.

It's ironic, as powerful and competent as that car is I've forgotten the number of instances I've heard of people buying them then growing bored in no time at all and trading up for a 'rari or Lambo instead. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

15 hours ago, Kimbers said:

I absolutely hated the Tesla and Vulcan items. One was over a million and can't be driven in Europe and the other was a £250,000 electric prototype that the presenter said had a range of 250 miles yet one report I read said that when driven in insane mode "just once, effected it to the tune of 100 miles".

And I don't like those 2 presenters either.

I did enjoy the train vs car vs bike bit but it was identical to many pieces done by the old team.

Lastly, I watch it in the hope that a real British car will be present at some point (a Lotus) and because MLB seriously makes it. The rest can go whistle!

I dont know when they filmed the Tesla segment but Model X's are being delivered to customers in the US even if we do not have them in the UK yet.  The official (EU) range is 310 which will translate to about 250 real world.  Doing a 0 to 60 in ludicrous mode will take perhaps 1 or 2 miles of the range based on the Model S.

I took my daughter from south of Cambridge to Manchester Uni a couple of days ago - about a 400 round trip.  Had to top up at the Keele services supercharger on the M6 for 10 mins on the way back - would have taken about the same to fill up with Petrol and grab a coffee.

Wish Lotus had carried on with the electric Evora and not just done the project to get the taxpayer funding.

• Like 1

Should add to the above (but can not edit for some reason) that I agree that as a UK show shown worldwide they should have a bias towards British cars but seem to have almost the opposite.  Also the Model X is £74,000 not £250,000.

16 hours ago, Vanya said:

Ah, GTR the FINAL SOLUTION.

It's ironic, as powerful and competent as that car is I've forgotten the number of instances I've heard of people buying them then growing bored in no time at all and trading up for a 'rari or Lambo instead. 

Yeah, and fork out a load more cash in the process! What i'm saying is that TG seem to be only interested in how fast a car can go, not how practical the car is in terms of everyday use and more importantly the cost. I know the GTR is a bit of a "marmite" car, but 0-60 sub 3 seconds and pushing 200mph top end for a lot less than 100k appears to be a bit of a bargain. ?

• Like 1

MLB has threatened to quit unless Evan goes first. I find Evans to irritating and gind the star on car feature far too long. The show is trying too hard for me find myself ffwd through most of it.

Evans definitively has to go. With Matt Le Blanc the show does have its potential. Not in the way of the "old" Topgear, but as a new format.

I also agree on sacking Sabine, who is a great driver, but does not have TV personality. I thought  Eddie was entertaining, given the role the script had dictated. Rory Reid is good and everything possible has already been said about Harris (that head meter bringing a ne level of stupidity - though it might have worked for Clarkson, Hammond or May)..

Also, am I the only one who thinks they are being overly positive on ALL car tests? 

• Like 2

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

MLB's nonchalence is great, im really starting to enjoy his features as he settles in and aside from everything else he seems like he might actually be a decent skin.

Was proud of how beautiful Ireland looked too. :)

And they had a Lotus in the background of the "Lightweight" Xenos test but didn't even mention it.

I like MLB he's good but the rest I can give or take, Sabine is wooden and Evans just annoys me....again with the "This is my car"...."I have one of these" bull!

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)