free hit
counters
The Grand Tour - Page 7 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

The Grand Tour

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Evans definitively has to go. With Matt Le Blanc the show does have its potential. Not in the way of the "old" Topgear, but as a new format.

I also agree on sacking Sabine, who is a great driver, but does not have TV personality. I thought  Eddie was entertaining, given the role the script had dictated. Rory Reid is good and everything possible has already been said about Harris (that head meter bringing a ne level of stupidity - though it might have worked for Clarkson, Hammond or May)..

Also, am I the only one who thinks they are being overly positive on ALL car tests? 

• Like 2

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

MLB's nonchalence is great, im really starting to enjoy his features as he settles in and aside from everything else he seems like he might actually be a decent skin.

Was proud of how beautiful Ireland looked too. :)

And they had a Lotus in the background of the "Lightweight" Xenos test but didn't even mention it.

I like MLB he's good but the rest I can give or take, Sabine is wooden and Evans just annoys me....again with the "This is my car"...."I have one of these" bull!

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

On 26 June 2016 at 22:35, stephenwhyte said:

Got to say I'm actually starting to find Matt Le Blanc quite funny - that man really does know how to use the lines he's given on a script and some of his facial expressions combined with timing add something worthwhile.......in my view anyway. Evans on the other hand needs to feck off back to the radio.......he's so bloody irritating as is Chris Harris's over excitability.....I thought he was having a fit when he was doing his bit tonight, he was flinching about that much!!! He does know his car stuff but please settle down a bit. It's getting better but no matter how good it gets it would be better if Evans wasn't there - oh and has he only got one jumper & t-shirt??!! Finally please don't bring back Sabine and Eddie - they add nothing.......absolutely nothing other than irritation!!

Edit : just been reading about Top Gear elsewhere after catching the headline about Le Blanc saying either Evans goes or he does.......sounds fair enough to me! However one of the replacements suggested was James Martin - not a bad shout that, not a bad shout at all........I reckon he could make that work

MLB is good, v good. Harris needs to calm down a bit but deserves to be there. Evans is SHIT! Sorry CE I really like your radio shows but it just doesn't translate, you're awkward and annoying.. God knows how much the BBC is paying you, stop trying to be JC, you're trying way too hard and we can all see it!!! There I've said it, be yourself or "LEAVE" (I now hate that word!!).

rant over?

Well that was enjoyable I have to say. Ok the guest slot is conceptually lame but the whole thing had some gel to it and MLB is def a winner. He knows how to pronounce Porsche with some respect too. 

PS I was shooting an identical GT3 RS recently, just gripping the wheel gives goose bumps. 

Saved the best till last I guess? 3 decent car reviews - something old top gear did not manage in a series. 

Too many presenters though - and guests too long. One would be fine. 

Looking forward to seeing what the others come up with and hoping MLB remains for the next series. 

• Like 1

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

He is a twonk alright, I haven't been a fan since I was in the audience of a St. Patricks day special he did in Dublin (TFI or Toothbruch, can't remember). It was excruciatingly boring even with Shannon Elizabeth as a guest. I remember thinking it was two hours that could have been spent on the street with everyone else casting magical gutter incantations. Thing is his MG bit last night was good. Somehow he stifled his inner douche and was just a guy enjoying a car.

Chris Evans has just resigned from top gear !

• Like 2

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Agree that the MG piece was the best thing he did, it worked so much better with him knocking it down a notch. He came across as much more genuine. Chris Harris needs to take note. He is understandably intimidated by the scale of the show but is trying way too hard. His real persona (which is anything but affable and chummy) isn't coming across at all. Dying laughing at the 'some say' jokes like some heavily medicated hyena is borderline peculiar. I really thought he was finding his stride online with CHOC but when a total [insert appropriate] like Shmee is getting way more hits for saying 'insane' a billion times its no surprise that he dropped YT like a hot spud. 

• Like 1

This is looking positive to me. I am sure that the football meant it lost a lot of viewers. Word will get round and people will watch on catch up. Looks like we'll get to keep the presenters that there is general agreement us liking. With Chris going there's reason to drop the two guest best/first car nonsense for something new. In fairness they tried something a bit different and it did not work. Had they just done the same we'd have criticised that too.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

It took them a whole year to make those 6 shows. Have they already done some material for the next series? I can't see any point in starting again if it's going to take them another 12 months to broadcast anything. Clarkson's gang seemed to be recording all year round and until recently there used to be 2 series per year, so it was a full-time job. I wonder where this leaves the other presenters. RIP TG.

Feel a little bad for him, it can't be easy but then if you chase a media life you're probably thick enough skinned to deal. I hope for his sake that Sun article is just a Sun article.

This will be the making of the new TG, and by the by I've no interest in seeing the Clarkson camp come back with that entertainment at any expense format they had stooped to. 

• Like 1

The thing is, the likes of us will watch Top Gear, 5th Gear and The Grand Tour (and any other car show) no matter who presents it regardless of how dry or daft it is. Where TG succeeded was in reaching out to a wider audience, one far more huge than anyone thought possible for a car show. It's this far greater casual Sunday family audience with a passing interest in cars that I believe the new TG failed to retain. They tuned in for the first one and quickly lost interest. The residual 1.9m or whatever is mainly just us petrolheads. Where CE failed is that he was brought in to retain that broad audience. Just combining fans of his R2 show and TFI fans would have been enough to do the job but in fact he's driven a few away. MTB had done a better job of appealing to the 'not particularly interested in cars' crowd.

I'm sure TG won't give up on the attempt to attract a large audience, it's one of the BBC's most successful shows worldwide so the stakes are high and they'll soon dump presenters that aren't making the numbers. That also means it's unlikely to become a more dry, factual show for petrolheads that many of us here would prefer as we are a tiny audience compared to the previous TG one. It will be interesting to see where they go from here. Harris has the potential to be a lot better but I think he's done enough to show that he'll never be 'Box Office'. While enviably at ease in front of a GoPro he looks terrified in front of a large film crew, unlike Rory Reid who has made the transition from YT to BBC look pretty effortless. They still need to find first rate presenters who have genuine car credentials and perhaps even more important - genuine chemistry. That was the secret last time round and it won't work until they find a way to achieve it again.

• Like 2

Time for TG to go back to the basics a team of three in order to cut cost so keep  MLB, he'll be expensive but has been pretty entertaining to watch and keep the motoring journalists CH, RR they have both been doing great work and are rather cheap. So with these three you cover all the bases. EJ can go back to be a pundit  for a F1 and have SS to do a few appearances here and there if must/need be. Most top gear shows are going to meet their maker soon if they haven't already so it will be back to one single TG show that the BBC can hope it will sell overseas.

As Twitter said all are quitting at the moment

Chris Evans.        Ginger

David Cameron    Posh

Roy Hodgson      Sporty

Boris Johnson.  Baby

Nigel Farage      scary

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong