free hit
counters
400 exhaust - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi everyone - I'm new to the forum and have spent an interesting few weeks reading all the issues on the Evora particularly the 400.

The exhaust on this car is a bit of a departure for Lotus, every model I've owned over the last 25 years or so has had a factory exhaust with generally 'subtle' noise levels, great if you're driving fast on public roads and don't want to draw attention. Don't get me wrong, I've driven a 400 and the noise is fantastic, but living with it on a daily basis? I'm not so sure. I'll be looking to move on to a 400 next year and this is the only thing that's worrying me.

I'm intrigued to know what you 400 owners think? And what about the track noise limits? Did Lotus think that through?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Keep it in tour and don't gun it and it's perfectly liveable.

On track however, it's 109dB on the static test so there are very few places in the UK you can use it. Lotus have said since last year that they're working on a track system but it's not available from them yet, although I would assume it's being fitted to customer 3-Eleven's or they'd be pretty pointless! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Hi Bill,  The reality is that in 'Normal' mode in my auto, its actually quite civilised from a noise perspective. To get the full orchestra you see on YouTube requires you to press the Sport, Race or Exhaust button.  Having come out of an F-Type, I can say that motorway cruising is impressively insulated; better than the F-type Cab and Coupe, better than my 997 which had a lot of tyre noise, and not far off my 987.

As above - the 400 is very quiet and civilised if you want it to be. It's no exec saloon, but my friends with 911s say it is noticeably better than their cars.

@Bibs have any customer 3-11s been delivered yet? I expect customers of those will be much less philosophical about the exhaust noise issue

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

I agree with the comments above.

For me one of the most impressive things about the car is just how civilised it can be.

You can also put the car in sport with all the changes that brings, and press the exhaust button to close the valves in the exhaust so that things are quieter if you so wish. No good for track days as the valves open again above a certain rpm, but fine for making rapid progress on the road.

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

That's why I was confused... I gather the factory are going to retro fit the exhaust for 3-11 customers?  No point having the ultimate track car being not track legal. 

That article didn't say a 3-11 was delivered, just completed!

Bell & Colvill certainly weren't chuffed about the situation.

James Martin (JayEmm)

So, dealers have them, which is good... but do we know of any individual that's actually purchased one? We've got owners of everything else on here!

James Martin (JayEmm)

24 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

That article didn't say a 3-11 was delivered, just completed!

It's not just sat in a tent. B&C had it at the Goodwood FoS and shortly after I believe it was Van Der Kooi who handed it over. 

Evora NA

As far as I know, the one at KT got a performance upgrade (470+ hp and new suspension setup) and went to its owner a couple of days ago ... 

• Like 1

In Tour mode or Sport/Race with the valve closed it is very refined. Above 4500rpm it opens automatically, but when in crusing mode on the road this isn't an issue. If you're deliberately giving it some stick, then you're going to want the noise anyway. The 400 is a quick car, you can make pretty rapid progress on the road without needing to exceed 4500rpm if you want to remain discreet.

Interesting comments, I hadn't realised you can run in sport mode below 4,500 rpm with the exhaust off.

What about on start up? Is the exhaust automatically on and you have to switch off or other way round?

You need to start the car (BRAMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm)

Engage Sport Mode, then press the exhaust valve to close the valve.
The car will be in sport mode, with valve closed until 4,500 OR you use 80% throttle.

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

It reverts to Tour mode with valve closed whenever you turn on the ignition. It will give a small blip on start up before settling to quiet idle. The intial start blip is mildly annoying, but not as bad as it is in the Exige V6.

If you select Sport mode after start up, it will idle with the valve open even if you close it, but then close it as soon as you apply some revs.

Hi gents. I have been lurking in the backgrounds for some months now, and I thought it was time to give back what little I can! I had a test drive in the 400 at Bell & Colvill last weekend, and they specifically asked me if I would track the car, as the stock exhaust is too loud.  I said yes, so they said they can sell and install the race exhaust system straight out of the 3-11. And yes, the 3-11 was in the showroom. Hope that helps.

• Like 2

That's good news!

Hi & welcome too :)

Evora NA

I do find it amusing that we're in a situation where the "race" system is the quiet one

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

To be fair, it's a 'track' system, and with most exhausts, that's the quieter one. 

Evora NA

On 11 October 2016 at 12:14, Cypriot said:

If I remember correctly, he said something like £600.  But don't quote me on that...

Happy if that's all it is.. I'll send an email now to ask when likely to be available.

It sounded to me more like that was the price to "swap" his exhaust for the one in the 400.

I'd have thought a new exhaust would be more than £600 fitted, but perhaps they've found a way to do it without much hassle

James Martin (JayEmm)

Does the 3-Eleven exhaust have a switchable bypass valve? The dual personality of the stock 400 exhaust is one of its best traits.

1 hour ago, mcx said:

Happy if that's all it is.. I'll send an email now to ask when likely to be available.

Good to see someone here also on instagram :) Let us know when you hear back from them.

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara

£600 does sound like the cost of labour to fit it. I suspect that the exhaust itself will be anywhere from £1500 to £5000, depending on how much needs to be changed.