free hit
counters
Going to try Nankang AR-1 tyres - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Got myself a nice set of LF1 wheels for track (thanks Tom!), now need some tyres as the front Trofeo Rs on them at the moment are too far gone.

Had a look around and in order of price (ascending), the options I could find are Nankang AR-1 (just over £600 per set), Toyo R88R (about £750 per set), Avon ZZ-R (just over £800 per set), Trofeo R (about £1150 per set if you can find them).

So, I'm going to undertake the experiment of trying the Nankangs as the little I've read suggests they're pretty good. The fronts have to be 215s as per the ZZ-R, but I don't see that as too problematic.

Anyone tried these or have a dire warning before I purchase!?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I run Nankang NS2Rs on my Exige which I daily drive and went for 215 on the front to try and get the front to bite the tarmac to bit a little better. Weather hasn't been ideal since I got them in

If you want to "try before you buy" you're welcome to come out in my car and see what it's like, I'm in Epsom

not directly related, but a member of the Club Lotus France tried the Nankang NS2R (road legal semi-slick tyres with more grooves) on his 2-11 recently, and is pretty pleased with the result, finding no difference compared to his previous R888... only tested on dry twisted roads, though (he lives on the riviera) ! 

NANKANG-NS2R-EUROPE-GREECE-GREEK-JDMASTE

Edited by French Frie

Cocked up my reading of the available sizes, the 205/40 or 215/40 sizes aren't available yet, no reply from Nankang UK yet on when they will be (website says Q3/Q4 2016). So have gone for ZZ-Rs for now, £816 inc. VAT and delivery.

Good rubber the ZZR. Will be on them at Snetterton tomorrow, albeit on the Caterham. Those AR-1s will be interesting when they are available. Being assymmetric, you'll be able to swap L <> R which you can't with the ZZR

7 hours ago, Ian Lockwood said:

Cocked up my reading of the available sizes, the 205/40 or 215/40 sizes aren't available yet, no reply from Nankang UK yet on when they will be (website says Q3/Q4 2016). So have gone for ZZ-Rs for now, £816 inc. VAT and delivery.

You could of had my wheels and tyres for £1000! :lol: crazy how much some of the tyres are, especially for how long they last.

16 hours ago, Chrisc said:

You could of had my wheels and tyres for £1000! :lol: crazy how much some of the tyres are, especially for how long they last.

Well, it was £1250 in the message you first sent. ;)

From all the comments about the original Trofeos, I'm expecting the ZZ-Rs to last considerably longer (and possibly grip better too), so I guess the cost will balance out reasonably close in the long run.

18 minutes ago, Ian Lockwood said:

Well, it was £1250 in the message you first sent. ;)

From all the comments about the original Trofeos, I'm expecting the ZZ-Rs to last considerably longer (and possibly grip better too), so I guess the cost will balance out reasonably close in the long run.

Haha yes times are hard lol

The ZZR do seem to last longer no doubt. So a good choice! 

If you decide you want a spare set for track, then these are here :)

• 3 months later...

I run Nankang NS2Rs on my Exige which I daily drive and went for 215 on the front to try and get the front to bite the tarmac to bit a little better.

Weather hasn't been ideal since I got them installed but I have got quite a lot of experience of them in most weather conditions which aren't ideal now and I've got to say I'm pretty impressed.  They're a big step up compared to the Corsas which came on the car, although I don't know how old those were.

In the wet I'm of course careful in the car, but I've had no aquaplaning moments and when I decide to slide the car around it it very predictable and easy to do so.  I even drove in the snow on them and I didn't get stuck at all and had lots of powersliding fun! 

In the dry I don't have huge amounts of experience of them (thanks English winter...) but the grip levels are certainly impressive on the rare dry moments we've had. In fact I can't even unstick the rear in the dry. The front pushes on a bit into corners but that's more due to the alignment of my car than the tyres.

One thing I can't comment on is the wear rate, although they've lasted 3000 miles so far with lots of sliding about and have barely worn. I think on track/fast road driving the wear rate will increase, but for the price I can get two sets for the price of one set of Trofeo which will probably last even less time.

So all in all I'd give them a big thumbs up, especially for the price!

• Like 1

Welcome to TLF Adam. :welcome:

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

On 11 February 2017 at 16:28, agl89 said:

Ideal, I was going to do 215s on the front on the AR-1s so given the tonnes of feedback and price I'll give the NS2Rs a shot. Decision made. Thanks! 

If you want to "try before you buy" you're welcome to come out in my car and see what it's like, I'm in Epsom :)

• Like 1