free hit
counters
Stuck Clutch - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nello

Stuck Clutch

OK so I finally got around to opening up my car - Its been sat for............... 5 years...... (don't ask!)

Suprisingly enough the clutch pedal is solid. Any reccomendations as to how best to free off?

Its an '87 Turbo G car

Edited by nello

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Neil

Can't help with a stuck solid clutch but great news that you're bringing her out. Have you decided to put her back on the road?

Neil

I have had this happen to me a few times over the years but not on a car laid up for 5 years. I have got them to release by putting in gear and using the starter but doubt that will work after that time. Last time I wound in the adjuster which gave me a tiny gap where I managed to buy a steel rule in, I then hit the bell housing with a nylon hammer, slowly the gap increased so I increased the number of steel rules leaving the pressure on. After a couple days it finally popped free with increased shims and tapping the bell housing.

It worked for me but be gentle as easy to bend the fork or damaged the clutch plate/flywheel. 

I am sure other members may provide a better answer so a good topic and common problem.

Dave ?

IMG_0700.GIF.46dc41b84d1ba3ad1334434b317aa57e.GIF Do or do not, there is no try! 

Gentle rocking of the car back and forth worth a go

Only here once

Good to read you are getting the car back on the road :thumbsup:

Looking lovely - get that back running !!

• Like 1

Only here once

Doesn't look shabby at all.

How are the tyres?

Doesn't look bad for 5 years at all!

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Bumpersticker2.jpg

12 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

Doesn't look shabby at all.

How are the tyres?

I know I'll get replies about aged rubber but genuinely all x4 NCT's are like new. This is going to sound ridiculous but the car has only covered 8000 miles in 22 years :lol: They will probably be replaced though if it gets going...

Its on 54k now but 46k of which was done in its first 5 years. 

I bought what I believe was the very last pair of OE rears in the country about 10 years ago which are on the back. Derek Dean obtained the last lot from the factory and in a vain attempt at originality I paid at least £300 for one back then - although it was only £100 to the wife :sofa:

When I first bought the car back in '94 I bought a tailor made cover for it and though pricey it was worth it - its protected the car very well - the paint is excellant - just the nose has oxidised slightly after water got in through a split in the waterproof covering. The nose end was resprayed by a former owner when he changed the badge to the yellow and green one from the lozenge shaped one and I was never happy with the match on that nose/badge panel. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to these things.

2016-07-14 17.14.23.jpg

2016-07-14 19.16.22.jpg

Edited by nello

I am quite torn with what to do with it though. Having had it so long - we went on part of our honeymoon in it etc.

I don't really have the funds to get it back up and running at the moment due to 'other' things going on at the moment.

I have been tempted to try to sell as is at the moment. I've seen another classic I am very tempted by that I could probably buy outright for what the Esprit is worth even not running. That aside the car interior/bodywork/wheels etc. is superb - it was polished several times weekly for years!!

Apologies for straying off the 'technical' thread - Mods - move to Esprit chat if deemed more suitable............

Someone convince me whats best!

Edited by nello

Neil

It is still a great looking car but you should do what feels right, the clutch thing is a pain and worst case could be an engine removal to sort out if unlucky. For me after 5 years I would be tempted to do just that giving great access to change the cambelt and check the water pump etc along with a fuel tank inspection.

It would be a shame to sell after all this time but sometimes a change is good, what classic were you thinking about?

I know you will sell such a great Esprit easily enough on here very quickly with so many looking for G turbos. Other option is to just cover it up and come back to it in the spring, I have sold many cars in the past and regretted the decision.

All the best and have a good think before letting her go as not easy to replace.

Dave :) 

IMG_0700.GIF.46dc41b84d1ba3ad1334434b317aa57e.GIF Do or do not, there is no try! 

Cheers for the advice Dave B-) I've always been a massive Petrolhead but Italians are where my heart is. Not just the supercar stuff but I like the everyman cars too. I've had loads of Fiats/Alfas and Lancias over the years. I've seen a fantastic Giulia 105 GTA lookalike that I cannot stop looking at......

Used to have a GT Junior years ago - always loved the 105 Bertone Coupe shape. I know Chris went through a similar experience with his a few years ago and expect an engine out job to do it correctly so have a figure in mind to do the work - circa £7-8k sound feasible?

The car drove fine last time I used it even though it was just to put on to a transporter when we moved house last so I'm confident it does not need anything major. Any ideas on value before and after work welcomed?  I've seen all sorts of prices over that last year or two. You always keep you're eye out anyway when you are in to these things so much.

Edited by nello

Back to the stuck clutch!! Jack up the rear, put her solidly on stands. Start engine and let it warm up. Stop engine...select first gear. Start up again...wheels will rotate. Attempt to depress clutch. Apply power and brake simultaneously, as if you were "heel and toe" gearchanging...this puts a load across the clutch and should enable you to get it to release...keep pushing on the clutch pedal and play with power and brake. I've even revved up and pretty much stamped on the brake before now..always worked for me, usual disclaimers etc.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Neil

You said the clutch 'pedal' is solid.

I have known Master/Slave cylinders can seize when left.

When my clutch seized I am sure the pedal travel was OK.(?)

You have a very nice looking car.

Adrian

Hope you keep it Neil, it's impossible to replace it. Having said that is 5 years inactivity a hint?

Only you know the answer, but my guess from seeing a lot of people do the same thing is the pain of regret bites almost immediately. The money is easily spent and you can rarely afford to get back on the horse.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

18 minutes ago, Loose Cannon said:

Hope you keep it Neil, it's impossible to replace it. Having said that is 5 years inactivity a hint?

Its only a question of having the funds and time Mark - not a lack of desire for the thing believe me :P

John - I'm reluctant to attempt to start the car now given the time the belts have been sat there.............

Edited by nello

From your posts on here you are Lotus through the middle. Anyone who vists Chapmans grave is an addict, and I seriously doubt an old Alfa will do it for you, long term anyway.

At the very least get it driving again, your perspective might change regards selling and even if you do you will get more money for a running MOTd car.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Loose Cannon said:

From your posts on here you are Lotus through the middle. Anyone who vists Chapmans grave is an addict, and I seriously doubt an old Alfa will do it for you, long term anyway.

Thanks mate - although that makes me sound like I have issues!! :lol: I had a Giulia years ago plus other stuff like Fulvia's/Beta's etc. Like 'um all really!

Appreciate the comments gents

Edited by nello

Neil

Having just brought a car back from a 24 year lay up I think you'd need to budget more than £7-£8k to bring it back to life if you were to pay somebody to do it for you.

I'm sure you'll get inundated with requests to sell it now - just make sure that you get a fair price if you do decide to go down that route.   

1 hour ago, nello said:

The pedal will not move so it may be a cylinder I suppose. Had not thought of that Adrian cheers. 

If the pedal don't move, get a pry bar on the clutch lever and that will indicate if the clutch is free. The cylinders do seize up as I have found on a previous restoration project. The lack of movement on the pedal kind of tell's me what it is. Whatever you do, don't force it as you will only land up bending the pedal itself, and that's a pain to replace.On the upside, you could give her to me and I will have her all done in a couple of days. But you may lose her for another 5 yers or so. Persevere, the work required is not that expensive and could all be done in 2/3 days no problem.

2 hours ago, nello said:

Thanks mate - although that makes me sound like I have issues!! :lol: I

I mean that in the nicest possible way! Next time I visit Hethel I'll be paying respects at the old mans tomb as well. Sometimes something is so deeply ingrained its just part of you - don't fight it!

When I bought my Esprit the target was a G car. Probably somewhere along the line I should have had one but that time is past and my car just feels like an extra arm. That's probably what your Turbo is to you, you just need reminding.

• Like 2