free hit
counters
First hand experience with komotec valved backbox please !!! - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

First hand experience with komotec valved backbox please !!!

Has anyone got any experience with JUST the komotec valved backbox fitted, not the manifolds or full system. 

I recently bought one before taking delivery of my Exige which I know have and I'm surprised it doesn't sound too bad so I either return the komotec ( great company offered me a refund) or fit it but I'm worried it will be too loud as I'm not a fan of tubi levels.

Ive seem every clip there is so just wanted to hear first hand experience regarding sound levels or any feedback via the forum or phone to help me make a decision ?? is it way louder or just better sound ?

0034 681 244 965 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't have one myself but i was at an event a few weeks ago and a friend if mine had just had one installed. To be honest until he told me I didn't realise it wasn't stock so at least from the outsi

Continental Conti Winter Contact TS 830.  They were available in the same sizes as the Avon ZZRs. 

Nano - talking about the Komotec (in my case, the early model they made) Had a long drive in mine today - haven't yet removed the vacuum pipe, but this really does sound fantastic. Had to go

I don't have one myself but i was at an event a few weeks ago and a friend if mine had just had one installed. To be honest until he told me I didn't realise it wasn't stock so at least from the outside it's sounds similar to the stock exhaust.

I was a but disappointed in the sound as having a truly switchable exhaust appealed to me but I was left underwhelmed by the sound.

Edited by Crouchy
Spelling
  • Like 1

I test drove it but with the full system ... its sounds amazing but imho its louder... inside & outside ... I really liked it but was afraid that it might be too loud for my home track ...

Thank s very much I appreciate you sending the videos although it's hard to make a decision. So if you had to spend the money again on the same exhaust you would ? I.e. Your happy ? And you definitely think it's an improvement.. ?

So hard watching videos, some it sounds deeper ? Some it sounds raspy and almost tinie  ?

Yes, I would.

I was at Snetterton yesterday. No problems with noise levels (which you can't say for 2bular, for example). People who hear the exhaust from outside (i.e. the pitwall or when following) generally say that it sounds great. The noise really opens up above 5k rpm; below that, it can sound a little subdued (although there are plenty of pops and bangs on the over run).

Thanks for the 2 videos ... the only thing is that if I'm not mistaken, you are inside and not outside.
If so, it would be nice to have the same video but outside ...
Perhaps I ask too much ... sorry ...:blush:

3 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Yes, I would.

I was at Snetterton yesterday. No problems with noise levels (which you can't say for 2bular, for example). People who hear the exhaust from outside (i.e. the pitwall or when following) generally say that it sounds great. The noise really opens up above 5k rpm; below that, it can sound a little subdued (although there are plenty of pops and bangs on the over run).

What did the static noise test come in at?

3 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

I was at Snetterton yesterday.

Yeah, was great to meet you. I hope the numpties stopped causing red flags after we left. As I said, Chavelin is now on my avoid list. Lovely motor BTW.

30 minutes ago, Gashead1105 said:

What did the static noise test come in at?

I didn't ask the specific number but it has passed at 102 & 105dB days (like yesterday). 

18 minutes ago, MartynB said:

Yeah, was great to meet you. I hope the numpties stopped causing red flags after we left. As I said, Chavelin is now on my avoid list. Lovely motor BTW.

Thanks. 

The afternoon turned out to be a lot of fun. The drying line turned into a dry track by 4ish. I can't recall any more enforced stops after about 3 but I called it a day after emptying another tank of fuel by 4.30. 

I think that will be my last day for this year. Time to swap over to winter tyres and plan whatever upgrades are needed for next year. 

Glad to hear that. I guess I'm just not used to trackdays with such high turnouts and so much questionably track ready hardware / "mixed levels of driver optimism". The Javelin organisers did seem like a nice bunch, but I really wasn't having a good day. Oh well. Onwards and upwards.

Out of interest, which winter tyres do you use?

In the end i disconnected the vacuum line, as found in sport mode it would keep shutting the valve even with the override. And sounded much better just in the open position. Valve closed its like stock, very good!

It is louder than stock, but not larini loud! Mine was 102 static, and no issues with drive by. 

Well made and a nice exhaust, shame they forget the tubing all the time! 

11 hours ago, Chrisc said:

In the end i disconnected the vacuum line, as found in sport mode it would keep shutting the valve even with the override. And sounded much better just in the open position. Valve closed its like stock, very good!

It is louder than stock, but not larini loud! Mine was 102 static, and no issues with drive by. 

Well made and a nice exhaust, shame they forget the tubing all the time! 

I assume you have to make sure the valve is open when disconnecting the pipe?

And then plug the end of the pipe?

I've also noticed mine going quiet when in sport mode / valve open.

'....it makes every other roadster look just a little bit cissy...'

24 minutes ago, Rancid said:

I assume you have to make sure the valve is open when disconnecting the pipe?

And then plug the end of the pipe?

I've also noticed mine going quiet when in sport mode / valve open.

Its open normally anyway, so dont have to do anything. And yes olug the end, as its a vacuum line, it will suck all sorts otherwise. :lol:

mine was defintely a lot better like this. Although the Komotec is not a great deal louder than stock (ideal for track) then this just made it sound perfect for me! Pops and sounded great when decellerating and on wide open throttle. 

1 minute ago, Rancid said:

Thanks Chris.

I agree it's quiet at low revs, but when you give it some welly....!

Exactly. But weirdly i had two people who said they didnt want one as it was not suitable for track! Although i bought mine as it seems the best suited to track!