free hit
counters
New tyres - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Righto - new tyres time - and I'd like 4 to match on brand and pattern.

seems the v8 is simpler here.

fronts 235/40/17

rears 285/35/18

The kumhos on my old car were sublime - and looks like there's an option from them for the v8 in the form of Ecsta le sport ku39. And real cheap too. Now my old ones wore out quick :whistle:-  but I like new rubber rather than say I got 12000 miles out of the last set.

Looking there does seem to be some choice. So - fellow tlf's in the v8 club - which tyres to go for.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Come on then - speak up - what's your recommendations.....

I promise I won't refer to your rubber fetish

Haven't got any recommendations, mate.

I bought a pair of Pirelli PZeros for the rear a few months ago, I think they're pretty good, but my fronts (Pilot Sport) are in good nick so don't need replacing yet.

But the front tyre size is the problem, as I'm sure you've discovered. Pirelli don't make it, so I can't get the same all round. But I reckon that they might make them in batches, so I'm keeping a look out for them. 

As for any other tyre makes, Michelin, Goodyear? Toyo Proxes if you want slicks? They really should have a scale for how much grip you get out of a tyre, not all this namby-pamby noise and rolling resistance cobblers.

Yeah - I'm right there with that.

i think the kumhos are a soft compound tyre - and they were sublime on the old car. I think @Vanya used them on his as well and liked them.

looks like I shall order some kumhos in and report back - they are "cost effective" as well - don't want to say cheap as they really aren't ditch finders like some budget things. The really did stick the car to the ground even in the wet, really planted nicely

'Off to find mop and bucket to clean up urnine from floor, change of pants also required'

• Like 1

I have the Kumhos in my car. The very reason for buying them was the prize and there are not many brands available, if you want matching front and rears.

They seem to be fine, but I can not give any detailed analysis, because these are the first tires that I have bought this car.

The ones on the car when I bought it, were 10 years old Michelin pilot sports, so I really can't compare them fairly.

Apparently Kumhos are soft, because they feel square for first 10 kilometers after week or 2 in the garage.

Just looked - for the rears they are a little more "premium" in cost

Order fronts and rears from different sources, then get them fitted locally? That's what I'd originally planned to do.

Here you go Mr Kearley. Read on through the thread. Note that Goodyear seem to make these in batches but my local supplier always seem to be able to source them (also in the thread), although they might be Asymmetric 1s. I believe that Asymmetric 3s have recently come out but don't know about V8/S4s size availability.

• Like 1

Cheers @swindon_alan - I'm gonna get some of these kumhos on order and see how they smoke

will report back once an appointment has been made to fit - which translated means once I can sneak the car past the watchful eyes of swmbo to the garage :whistle:

Strictly speaking they don't need changind - but they are old and the fronts hard. Mixed bag front and back - I want nice new ones.

fk at certain times in the month she moans about my fking breathing, walking, blinking, working, drinking, existing etc etc........

my advice when asked about women by my mate at work at this particular time  - rent them by the hour :whistle:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Strictly speaking they don't need changind - but they are old and the fronts hard. Mixed bag front and back - I want nice new ones.

fk at certain times in the month she moans about my fking breathing, walking, blinking, working, drinking, existing etc etc........

my advice when asked about women by my mate at work at this particular time  - rent them by the hour :whistle:

Have a word with Alan?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Cheers @swindon_alan - I'm gonna get some of these kumhos on order and see how they smoke

No smoke as far I can see, but it is possible to get nice movie-type squeling in the tightest hairpins. All very comfortable, but noisy... :)

• Like 2

So, what came out of these needs for new tires? How do they perform?

Wife-wise, all my wife was asking when a large box arrived from the States today was: Oh, you've got a large box of something today, and what is it (her birthday comming up soon)?

I replied that oh well, just two pieces of glassfiber and a small green relay, you know, the one that lifts up and Down the headlights, that suddenly didn't Work when we drove to a party 325 kilometers away last Summer...

Oh yes, I remember that. Good packaging he did then..., she replied, clearly indicating that she knows that another of one of those absolutely needed "Projects" are taking shape... ;)  She don't mind.

As for tires, I run Toyo Proxes T1S Assymetric in the correct V8 sizes on Monobloc's. They stick well, steer well and generally are predictable in dry asphalt, and I drive 45 km/h in rain, so couldn't say about that, apart from that they manage well the rain (seriously heavy once, at 45 km/h...

Much to Barry's applause I am sure, I can report that they don't last many miles. I wore down a set at record time, no track driving. Ehrm, I think it was like 2500 miles or so.

I'd say a quite good tire.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

relay.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jacques said:

I can report that they don't last many miles. I wore down a set at record time, no track driving. Ehrm, I think it was like 2500 miles or so.

:blink:

2 hours ago, qwerty123 said:

Good Year Eagle F1 Asymetric, available on Tyreleader in both sizes (F & R) for a reasonable sum.

£555.68

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/cart/?t[0]=tyre&i[0]=434006&mount=0&q[0]=2

Interesting that they are still making/stocking F1s when the F3 is out now?

I've had a couple of F1 sets and they wear okay'ish ( a little uneven blocks), stick well and are better in the wet than some of the other sticky tires, like the Toyo I have now. I prefer the Toyo though.

Cannot tell anything about the F3. Anyone?

About the F1's linked to, I won't buy tires which are 3, near 4 years old. Max. 1-2 years. Pref. tem from the present calendar year. And they should all be made in the same year, to try and get the same grip.

Just sayin'.

note to self: OOhhhhh! I've reached the same amount of (selfish unneeded) posts as my Esprits' production year. Surely it's worth more then ;)

Okay. I'll go Watch a movie or something...

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• Like 1

Oh to live in the States, Qwerty. That's a huge range of Eagles, although I don't know how many types they do in standard V8 sizes. We really do have more limited availability in the UK (and Europe?). A quick look at the moment only shows F2 rears available, although my magical local supplier could probably find some fronts as well.