free hit
counters
New tyres - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Follow up question to discussion above.  Seems if you can fit 245/40 r17's on the front you have a wider choice of matching tyres.  Anyone know if these will fit without rubbing?

• 2 months later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jacques demonstrating his usual braking technique:

Have a word with Alan?

I knew that this was coming...  But of course I wholeheartedly concur 

Posted Images

Front near side puncture has sent me on the search for a decent 17" boot a couple of months before service/MOT when I planned to replace all 4 due to their age. Always had Goodyear Eagle F1s, the current fronts being the Asymmetric.

The 17" are simply not available. I tried all the usual suspects, my mobile tyre guy all his industry contacts. A 'get me home' solution was an Avon ZZ3, not ideal given the R rating but £90 fitted to at least get me mobile will do for now.

Naturally I don't want to run different tyres on the same axle so am now back in the hunt.

The recommended tyre from the various websites and the garages I've spoken to is the Hancook Ventus which comes in 17" and 18". Anyone had any experience of this or perhaps suggest an alternative?

I must admit I'd never heard of the Avon ZZ3 but the ZZ5 for sports and high performance cars seems to get good reviews. But no 17"......

So what's the consensus?

Last time I run Hancook tyres I had a blow out on the M4 at 80 +. It was almost new. Luckily I was driving a Citroen Zantia with the self leveling suspension and didn't really notice anything but the noise of flapping rubber. That puts you off a tyre for life.

I run Toyo tyres all round on the V8, Excel and M100. Never any trouble.

• Like 1

I second that. Quality from Toyo. Been using their tires for many years and many sets in various sizes. T1-R and T1-S and T1-S assymetric. 195/50-15; 205/40-17; 235-40-17 and 285/35-18.

Wears fast, stick very well on dry roads, but not in rain, and steers and brakes well. Just what I need.

I would never use a xxxxx tyre on a vehicle that I need to depend on and need safety from. Buy cheap and drive cheap.

An example from todays drive, where a friend came too close to me in his car, and we both needed to brake and turn left quickly. His car squealed and slid around and I just used my brakes nice and easy. Not very hard actually. But it was clear, that the tires made a big difference to braking distances. So to avoid him hitting my car from behind, I just let go of the brakes and drove a few meters more, till' it was safe to brake again. Tires makes a big difference.

But then again, there are exceptions such as when Michelin made some bad production series with the Pilot Sport tires which exploded while driving. Hmm...

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Nope, I redid my Futura's to have wider outer rims to be 10,5" as the Sport300. But those were 17" rears, and mine are 18" rears. So I need 30 profile to match exactly the original SE Wheel, the V8 AWI and the Sport300 Wheel  ;)

Will show them later when they are fully done and balanced and on the car. But I need 4 matching sport tires...

Hence my question.

Any Michelin pilot Sport 2,3,4 etc. and Eagle F1 and Toyo Proxes T1-s are most wellcome ;)

So, two 235/40-17 and two 315/30-18. No rain tires or all season. Only sport tires.

But that is hard to find 4 matching tires.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

NICE!!!

You are a hard man to argue with ;)

Thanks, think I'll order them.

But here's a question: I see they are pretty old. So, as long as they are new and never mounted and/or used, does it have any relevance? I mean, do they get stone hard? And will it be save to drive top speed on new tires with that age?

Cheers,

Jacques.

• Like 1

Rears will come from Italy like Hedgerley's but the postage is inclusive.

Pleased to be of help Jacques, even though you are four cylinders short of a set my friend x

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Ha ha... Thanks. ;)

I need the 30 profile on those 18" Wheels to sharpen the steering compared to a genuine Sport300 set of Wheels, which have a too high profile on it's tires for my liking. Hence the 17" and 18" Wheels. You know, it's a 4-pot and no power steering, so I feel the steering in my hands. Those tires on those Wheels should be quick and communicative, even with my meager 76,5 Kilos of weight, which matches the 4-pot low weight car ;)

Jacques

Hmmm, need (a lot) more carbon on my car ;) And a Sport300 cylinderhead, it seems.

Handling: no. Why?

Acceleration: hmm. maybe, maybe not. Is your car standard?

ps: you are typing in Swedish ;) But that's okay, as the Whole south used to be Danish anyway ;)

Kind regards,

Jacques.

LOTAC suspension upgrade. Quaife gearbox and LSD upgrade so no qualms about full boost in any gear. Torque to die for from no revs to the red line. Nitrous oxide (initial imperceptible turbo lag fix) and water injection (who needs a chargecooler?) hence prospective 14 psi (1 bar) boost and 500 bhp when I get my ECM developed. That will need forged pistons though! It's in the plan...

Apologies for the Scandinavian confusion Jacques. I worked in Norway for two years and Denmark is the other end!

Ah! But Norway used to be Danish anyway... most Danes understand Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, and some other old Danish territories language. Plus sometimes Dutch as it's pretty close in North of Holland, at least when reading the Dutch newspapers. Plus of course English, German, and usually French or Spanish. I don't understand Spanish though. But Romanian.

That sounds like a serious car then. No can do with my meager 4-pot. Only got 330 Hp and 415 Nm so far, dragging me plus ½ tank of fuel plus some 1160 kilos of Esprit.

Get the forged pistons!!! Or suffer many failures. I've seen enough heavily tunes audi and vw engines splatter it's internals all over because boost was too high for the cast pistons. Mind you, a meager SE 4-pot have forged pistons... :)

An so does my late 1991 4-pot g-lader Corrado G60. Standard engine. and cooling oiljets under each piston. And sodium filled exhaust valves. All factory ported and valved.  - 190 hp to 980 kilos of car. Nice and fast, but not in comparison of course.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

I probably mentioned before that my lad has a Corrado VR6. Messed about with to distraction but he has caned it around the Nurburgring on two trips so far! He has a screw supercharger that he is threatening to bolt on at some point. Great motors Jacques!

Thanks again @swindon_alan but I was a bit concerned about the age on those Italian F1s. Price was a bit steep as well given the shipping. Eventually found some Toyo Proxes T1-Sports at a reasonable price and free delivery here. Although they are showing at £91, I paid £90 an hour ago....

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/toyo-proxes-t1-sport-235-40-r17-94-y-xl-zr-fsl#156281422

As Jacques mentioned, they get good reviews and IIRC were a recommended tyre when the V8 came out. Or I could be imagining that to reinforce my purchase decision......

10 minutes ago, Jacques said:

Fronts lasted some 3500 km's

Oo
Only 3500kms?! Is that common on a Esprit?

On a side note, is that normal than the inside edge of the fronts are much more worn than the rest of the tyre? I think there is an invoice for a "recent" geometry check before I bought it, but I am still wondering. I will have to check the geometry.

No, not as far as I know. I had the geo done, before. Just needed to brake hard a lot of times.

Funny enough the rears Wear prety well, as in long lasting. Hmm, maybe I don't accelerate fast enough? ;) Or at least it says something about the esprits braking setup between front and rear.

I've not seen any particular tire Wear on the inside. Not outside.

We'll see how the new set will last. Anyway, I don't care about that much, as I want grip over wear.

Two seasons for me, or three, is fine. And they will not become stone ahrd and dangerous.

Kind regards,

Jacques.