free hit
counters
New tyres - Page 3 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

No, and I should normally think they would last some 10.000 km's. We'll see with the new set and other brakes, geo, bushes etc.

For example, I've never had any Eagle F1 tires to last over 10.000 km's. Nor any toyo. The "walk" or tramlining is about thesame on those two. But I think the toyo have better grip towards the end of it's usefull life, than the F1.

I am now thinking of some r888 but need correct sizes.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think the r888 are not available to our size (rear), are they? (285/R18 for me) — I am going to check again!

EDIT: I can find 285 30 R18, not 35%.

5 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

Jacques demonstrating his usual braking technique:

image.jpeg.d7215b6dbac48cc70ecc12f450a44e06.jpeg

Haha hahaaaa! Very funny. But not on the old Toyota brakes anyway. But my new brakes.. well, that an entirely other matter, and more like the above. Ask some of my friends on the clubdrive the other day... He found out the hard way and nearly hit me. Now, some R888 and fun is guranteed ;)

Speaking of which, I would say that the T1-Sport assymetric are also pretty okay in braking late into the corner, without spinning the car.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

That makes a 14.25mm difference in tyre height if I am not wrong. It might be acceptable but I am not sure I would go that route.

No, but it's worth asking toyo headquaters themselves, as they are known for making tires for fast driving that other brands don't always support.

I need the 315/30-18 for rears.  Which they DO make according to their homepage. Add the 235/40-17 front and you are flying through corners.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Urgh! at least they steer quick and have less understeer. So could  maybe go a bit thicker on the front arb, to say 19mm ;)

These must be made for some russian mafia show boy's car or a us rap band of some kind ...

But it's worth noting, that the 315/30-18 is exactly the same size as the SE Wheels and Sport300 Wheels. Or very very near, like 1 km/h near. That is fully acceptable in my book.

Just looked it up and they do both the R888 and the successor R888R in both front and rear for sizes mentioned. ;)

I tried a bit of passenger-"driving" in another Lotus on R888 this Summer on track and it was really really astonishing. Cornerspeed and braking is so much better. Faster cornering and later better more stable braking.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

48 minutes ago, Giniw said:

Oo
Only 3500kms?! Is that common on a Esprit?

On a side note, is that normal than the inside edge of the fronts are much more worn than the rest of the tyre? I think there is an invoice for a "recent" geometry check before I bought it, but I am still wondering. I will have to check the geometry.

This is normal for the Esprit fronts. It's to do with the 'anti-Ackerman' set up. There is a good explanation here https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=17&t=62993

It's also why the fronts 'scrabble' and drag noisily during slow speed manoeuvring with big steering angles

• Thanks 1

I have to disagree about the tire wear. If done over 20k miles on the front Toyo T1 on my SE. Don't know how long they had been on the car when I bought it, and they're still fine! Reasonable thread left (3-4mm), equal wear and not lacking in grip. I have to add they're used in day-to-day traffic, so at a much more relaxed pace (bar a few occasions). Quite impressed, too bad they don't come in the exact size I need for the SE. Lack of alternatives means I'll probably go for 225/50R15, even if only V-rated.

By bicycle is used for day to day trafic ;) Where I live, it simply doesn't pay to use a car for that purpose.

The Esprit is only used for some spirited back road driving every now and then. Daily easy use woill probably yield a lot more miles from them as you write.

I hear rumours about R888 (-and -r) giving quite good milage. Well, sort of.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

I now have the Toyo T1s all round and very nice they are too. More compliant than my old Goodyear' Eagle F1s so better bump absorption and a more comfortable ride. Car in for service/MOT at the moment so no long drives yet but a good decision I think.

Good prices from Openeo - £90 front, £130 rear - and fast delivery.