free hit
counters
Tailgate dampers - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hello

I have two questions about tailgate dampers

Firstly, I have two dampers, one seems shorter than the other and it has a electrical spade connector at each end.  Which side is which and what are the connectors for?

Secondly, the parts manual shows the car end bolting to a bracket which fits to the body. SJ say that part is obsolete.  Do they bolt directly to the body or do I have to make some kind of bracket.  If so, anyone know what it looks like?

Many thanks 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There are various dampers fitted to various years. Generally, the gas assisted lift supports are stronger for cars with the rear wing fitted onto the hatch (rather than the body).  I think that the weight of the 'glassback' requires a bespoke lift support as well.

To further confuse things, some fitments include ONE locking support. This is the type that rquires the user to lift the strut a bit first before lowering fully.

You SHOULD have electrical spade connectors on both.  One powers the heated rear screen, the other powers the CHMSL (the center brake light) fitted in some markets

Yes, you should have brackets fitted, #45 and 46 in the attached image. Hopefully there are two bolts sticking through the bulkhead, beneath the cockpit glass, on each side. (#47)

If you need actual pictures let me know.

lift supports.JPG

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Thanks Atwell,  Photos would be great as it looks I will have to make some, unless someone knows where to get them???

Alan

21 hours ago, CarBuff said:

You SHOULD have electrical spade connectors on both.  One powers the heated rear screen, the other powers the CHMSL (the center brake light) fitted in some markets

lift supports.JPG

Thank you - Now I shall go and see if I can make my spoiler brake lights work again 

This forums ace - that's at least the second thing I've learnt from here today

Only here once

The 89SE should have the locking strut on the LH side, that locks the hatch in place holding the hatch up (though not as far open as the Esprit hatches without a wing)...  And then a non locking strut on the right hand side...  Though my locking strut is on the RH.

Gas Strut Locking, LH = A082U6208F

Gas Strut non-locking, RH = A082U6169F

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Well, as usual, it's almost impossible to get clear pictures of the brackets in the Lotus engine bay.:cry:

The two I've provided show the upper area where the lift supports (with the spade terminals) mount, and the area where the mounts bolt on (through the plate on the other side of the bulkhead). The horizontal 'lip' that runs across the engine bay (and supports the engine cover) is in the way of the camera (as are the hoses and wire looms).

Really, the line drawing from the Parts List shows more. The only tricky bit is that the lower bolt goes on top of the lip, and so is on about a 3 mm 'higher' plane than the top bolt.PA170003.JPG

Darn shadow.

PA170002.JPG

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Great stuff guys.  Until you sent the photos I was trying to fix the dampers in completely the wrong place....disaster avoided.