free hit
counters
GEAR STICK GETS WARM! - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

GEAR STICK GETS WARM!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Radiator pipes pass through the central tunnel of the chassis and the heat is transferred as the hot water passes. You may have a split gaiter which is making it get warmer than usual.

Also, this is a technical question and there is a section for this sort of thing, I've moved your topic there :P

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hi,

Can anybody explain, after driving my Esprit for some distance I notice that the booth around the gear stick get warm and the gear stick itself get very hot. Is this normal and if so what causes this to happen?

Cathal.

Hi Cathal,

My SE gets very warm / hot around the gear stick especialy in the summer months. As Paul says its probably quite normal !!. I have found recently my gaiter is completely missing and I'm sure the current oily turbo smell I'm getting is coming from the missing gaiter hole. There was a seperate post a while back where some guy was getting hot air pouring out of the center console every time he opened the windows, again probably down to a missing gaiter.

Just found it:

http://www.glcforum.com/esprit/forums/inde...6&hl=gaiter

Bye

Martyn B)

Edited by martynv

Hi,

Thanks to all those who replied to my question. Well the rubber gaiter is split around the gear stick, so hopefully by replacing this it will cure the problem.

At least it's nice to know that it's not something to be too concerned about.

:thumbup:

Hi,

Thanks to all those who replied to my question. Well the rubber gaiter is split around the gear stick, so hopefully by replacing this it will cure the problem.

At least it's nice to know that it's not something to be too concerned about.

:thumbup:

You could also get some heat shield material from DEI and wrap it around the gaitor as well to help keep the heat down!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Newbie question here - What's a gaiter?

A gaiter is just a cover really, the gear lever gaiter covers the hole where the gear stick enters the car through the top of the tunnel to stop water, smells, heat etc entering the inside of the car. Gaiters are also used to protect various assemblies from water / crap ingress such as steering rack gaiters etc ....

Martyn B)

Edited by martynv
Newbie question here - What's a gaiter?

To make it clearer in the context of this thread, the Esprit has two gaiters on the gearstick:

One is the leather one you can see in the cabin, nice and cosmetic and matching the interior.

The other is a rubber one underneath, this covers the hole in the chassis that the gearstick

comes out of (in much the same way the leather one covers the hole in the console that the

stick comes out of).

The hole in the chassis contains the coolant pipes and also can act as a 'chimney' to the engine

bay. Therefore IF the rubber one splits (you won't see it happen, as it's obviously hidden), then

the signs might be a fuel smell in the cabin from the engine bay, but more commonly heat venting

from the now open chassis hole.

My rubber gaiter is intact. Just as well, because the leather one has plenty of holes in it!

;)

• 4 weeks later...