free hit
counters
Evora suspension and other noises. - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Evora suspension and other noises.

I've just done a European road trip including some track days with the Evora, and I am going to remove the under trays and wheels as normal, and check and tighten everything I can find to touch!

One thing I noticed was that the suspension has small creaks and occasional knocks that are never there all of the time or last long enough to identify where they might be coming from.  Has anyone had any upgrades ( even spraying a silicon 'oil' on any relevant bushes or joints that has helped eliminate the various suspension noises?

Anyone who has changed bushes or added suitable grease or additional facing washers I'd be interested to hear from.

Similarly anyone improved their exhaust mounting with new bushes or different hangers?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

front anti roll bar bushes......

changed mine........the originals after 30k miles were shot........

got rid of the front end 'clunk'

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Cheers, no clunk on mine, I had new bushes recently.  More indeterminate and occasional noises.  I will rattle everything, and make sure there are clear spaces between any parts, brackets, mountings etc. Even the air box moves slightly towards its mounting bar. Just small things, but I think mostly associated with exhaust and suspension area. I'm trying to turn a sports tourer into a luxury carriage suitable for an old gentleman. :P

• 4 months later...

Just looking at sourcing some parts for a suspension refresh.

The ARB drop links identified on the Deroure site show both front and rear dl's as being superceded from A1234 to B1234 and now to c1234.

Does anyone know what the differences are? 

Second question.

Has anyone tried fitting an alternative such as an adjustable length drop link from an aftermarket supplier?

TIA

I replaced my front drop links recently. Was going to go aftermarket, but the OEM ones were available and relatively inexpensive, so I just ordered them. 

I know at least 1 individual on LT replaced the rears with aftermarket links from Whiteline and was satisfied with them. If/when it comes time to do my rears, if the OEMs aren't available, I'll likely go the Whiteline route. 

On 07/03/2017 at 10:44, Bruss said:

The ARB drop links identified on the Deroure site show both front and rear dl's as being superceded from A1234 to B1234 and now to c1234.

Does anyone know what the differences are? 

I believe it was just a coating change and not a dimensional change.

Whiteline looks a good option. 

My cars has done 90,000km (60,000) miles. I am about fit my third set of Genuine Lotus drop links. They could almost be considered a service item at this rate as they last roughly 20,000km.

Will try Whiteline and see if they last any longer.

You call feel the gradual fall away in the quality of turn in and handling as these things wear. Car is a wonderful thing when drop links are new. 

Baggies.

My car will be going in for a service just before the warranty runs out in May.

I have a slight clunk from the front offside which I suspect is a drop-link. 

Have others had these replaced under warranty? (My last car - VXR8- is known for eating front suspension components - I had arms and droplinks replaced under warranty).

It may just be your front ARB bushes needing lubricated. I had a really annoying knocking coming from the front suspension and this cured it completely. Very common apparently and should be done as part of a service anyway.

Not Evora, but my Exiige V6S made some horrible creaking noises from front suspension on a super hot day near Nurburgring. However hit some wet roads with spray and suddenly the noise stopped.  Assume something couldn't cope with the heat ?

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

I had bad creaking noises on my old Exige also, turned out to be the ARB bushes, I replaced them and applied a good helping of lube, and it never had an issue again.

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Tesla Model S - Midnight Silver | Renault Twizy - Brilliant Black ::..

15 hours ago, DJW said:

Not Evora, but my Exiige V6S made some horrible creaking noises from front suspension on a super hot day near Nurburgring. However hit some wet roads with spray and suddenly the noise stopped.  Assume something couldn't cope with the heat ?

ARB bushes drying out - my Elise used to do it in hot dry weather

Just got my Evora back after having front near side drop link replaced and the bushes removed, lubricanted and re-fitted.  What a difference!  I had the clunk noises too.  Car feels so much more solid.  The part itself is cheap although a bit of labour involved, but well worth getting this sorted rather than living with it as a niggle as makes a huge improvement to enjoyment of the car.

• Like 1

I have just replaced the front ARB bushes on mine, cured the clunk, but the old ones had some sort of PU sealant on them?????  My car was owned by Lotus for most of its life, was this a sticky plaster to get extra life out of them or a bone-fide thing to do, suffice to say I've never heard that this needs doing and stripped it all off when putting the new ones on

My front right used to clunk but this was fixed by new bushes before I collected the car.

I do have a bloody annoying squeak from the front right when going over bumps. Sounds like rubber rubbing against something. I'll be getting it looked at soon. Anyone else had this? Maybe the bushes need lubricatins as suggested by others in this thread.

29 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

I do have a bloody annoying squeak from the front right when going over bumps. Sounds like rubber rubbing against something. I'll be getting it looked at soon. Anyone else had this? Maybe the bushes need lubricatins as suggested by others in this thread.

Got the same thing on the right rear of my Evora, had a look at it myself at the weekend but could not find anything. It's going into Hofmanns on Friday to see what they can find.

The bushings should be lubricated with a synthetic grease like Superlube or similar. Nothing petroleum based though. It's pretty critical for them too, otherwise they'll make noise and/or wear out faster than they should. 

This is mentioned in the service notes, but I don't recall it specifying a lubricant. I had to replace my bushings twice, as I didn't lube them the first time and they only lasted about 5000 miles before the clunking came back. Now anytime I have the front undertray off I reapply the Superlube. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...