free hit
counters
Where do I advertise a komotec valved exhaust ? 1 day old ? - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Where do I advertise a komotec valved exhaust ? 1 day old ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally I'm not too worried about a more characterful exhaust note (it would be nice but not my priority). To @Hangar 111 point for a number of folks the key priority is to have an exhaust which is

the point is that I don't have the override switch on steering column, so the only to open the valve for me is to rev or to switch the DPM on OFF ... I could also take the vacum hose off, but I have t

Big supporter of this idea! I can't understand why it seems soo hard for a track friendly exhaust to be manufactured!

Posted Images

Click 'Classifieds' at the top of the page. 

I'm pretty sure EU law says you can return it to the vendor within 30 days of purchase btw. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I bought it b4 I bought the car, now I have the new car I think the sound is pretty good but I couldn't help just trying it after researching other owners views but it's a personal taste and sadly immediately I new it's too loud for me, I'm getting old ? So komotec won't accept it now obviously so it's going back in the box as a immaculate one day old komotec valved exhaust, open to offers. I shall go to classifieds

thanks 

I'm amazed you found it too loud Gav.

I was hoping mine would be a bit louder than it is, but perhaps KT have made the newer ones a bit fruitier ?

Sure it won't take long to sell.

'....it makes every other roadster look just a little bit cissy...'

Hey rancid

if  u are not heavy with the foot it's better, a few gurgles and a deeper growl, real nice but when you bury your foot OMG with the window down its immense ! It puts me on edge I can't relax ? Much much louder when your accelerating hard which is all the time. Shame, costly experiment let's hope I can sell it..ps

looks different to a few other ones I've seen and the box had capristo all over it ?

Did you buy it from KT directly? I can imagine that they develop the exhaust but have the actual production outsourced. Capristo is a quality brand - very well known in German especially for Ferrari and BMW exhaust systems.

Anyway its very difficult to compare a video vs real - your description of the sound in one of the first posts is very close to how I experienced it when I test drove it. Not too loud for me personally but most likely too loud for some tracks ...

The Capristo is a red herring. The exhaust uses a Capristo exhaust valve as they are of a high quality (as used on lots of high-end exhuasts). It's just the nearest cardboard box they had of the right size to put a silencer in - we all re-use packaging where possible to help offset the CO2 that comes out of the exhausts ;)

@Gavin mckenzie ping me an email, might be able to do a deal as I think I have been let down on another exhaust.

Dave

To me they have used a cardboard box that had there ... available where they managed to let the exhaust without looking at what is written off ... it also happens with other items that send you home

it's a sensible explanation... but it leaves entire the subject : is it louder than expected, and than previously (a kind of KT exhaust 2.0) ?

I have to say that if my (ex-Chris) backbox is too loud when valve is open, it may concerns me... as my main wish was to have a little more sound valve closed, but not that much when open, as I think it is already not that bad ! what I miss are the burbles and pops when decelerating rather than a louder sound ! anyway, if it is too much for me (or authorities :blush: !) it is not hard to go back to stock :P !

29 minutes ago, French Frie said:

it's a sensible explanation... but it leaves entire the subject : is it louder than expected, and than previously (a kind of KT exhaust 2.0) ?

I have to say that if my (ex-Chris) backbox is too loud when valve is open, it may concerns me... as my main wish was to have a little more sound valve closed, but not that much when open, as I think it is already not that bad ! what I miss are the burbles and pops when decelerating rather than a louder sound ! anyway, if it is too much for me (or authorities :blush: !) it is not hard to go back to stock :P !

Not sure why you would want it noisier when valve is closed - surely if you want that you just open the valve?

I would expect the Komotec to be noisier with valve open, like most of the sports exhausts available. I think most of us want the noise, but are fearful of the noise regs at track days.

Bring on a lightweight titanium exhaust that is track friendly, yet has a nice characterful sound and I will consider changing my standard lotus exhaust (which I think sounds pretty good anyway)

the point is that I don't have the override switch on steering column, so the only to open the valve for me is to rev or to switch the DPM on OFF ... I could also take the vacum hose off, but I have to confess I appreciate sometimes the exhaust is quiet (early mornings, neighborhood, small villages), and I love the way the note change when valve opens :blush: !  so what I miss when valve is closed is the bang and pops rather than noise level ... I let you know :P !

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, 550superfast said:

Bring on a lightweight titanium exhaust that is track friendly, yet has a nice characterful sound and I will consider changing my standard lotus exhaust (which I think sounds pretty good anyway)

And only costs 50p and a conker?  I'll throw in the moon on a stick ;)

Dave

41 minutes ago, 550superfast said:

Big supporter of this idea! I can't understand why it seems soo hard for a track friendly exhaust to be manufactured!

• Like 1

www.alias23.com

It strikes me that there is a lot of muddled thinking about what is expected from the exhaust. (I don't mean this as an insult, couldn't think of a better way of putting it)

The stock system is quiet closed and mild enough when open to pass both static and drive-by noise tests. Some folks want more volume/character than this, some are quite happy with it.

If you want a louder, more characterful exhaust, you have a few options.

1) Make the open sound louder

2) Make the closed sound louder

If you choose 1) then you run the risk very easily of making the system untrackable especially on the drive-by, because they're usually placed where we're WOT and the valve has to be open to reduce back pressure.

Pipes like the 2bular track version forego the switchability with the indirect effect of 2), but that means you don't get the quiet mode option at all, save from only giving it less throttle when you want to be quiet.

I don't see that there is a magical middle ground that gives all three benefits:

a) super quiet "mode"

b) passing tight track noise test

c) super fruity "beans" mode

Maybe I'm missing something

1 hour ago, 550superfast said:

Would you need my car for three months to fit it?

Depends if your car has any hidden issues that prevent it from working properly once upgraded?

44 minutes ago, MartynB said:

I don't see that there is a magical middle ground that gives all three benefits:

a) super quiet "mode"

b) passing tight track noise test

c) super fruity "beans" mode

Maybe I'm missing something

You forgot the other specified requirements: d) lightweight, e) made of exotic materials, f) inexpensive, g) durable enough to survive 10 years of track use, h) no power loss between open & closed...

Dave

• Like 1