free hit
counters
Mass air flow / emissions failed - need help - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Mass air flow / emissions failed - need help

Devilish

I bought a 91 esprit se.

in Ontario Canada we have to pass an emission test. The car failed last week, I knew it had old fuel so I ran the fuel out, refilled with 94 octane and added redline injector cleaner through it. It also had issues when running cold so I changed the o2 sensor which solved that issue.

The mechanic told me the car is dumping way too much fuel and it's most likely due to my MAF.

It has a K&N filter and the sensor could be clogged up with oil.

For the life of me I can't find the sensor.

Anyone know where it is?  Or if it has one?

Anyone one have any other tips as to what could be causing it to fail?

thanks a million.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if it has a stock ECU then there is no MAF;  it uses a speed-density calculation via MAP and MAT.  if it is running rich, TPS and O2 sensor among several others.  there are probably several historical topics on here for running rich, try the search function for good diagnostic instructions.  the manual section EMH can be very helpful if you have it?

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Devilish said:

How would I check that?

There are no lights on the dash.

Even without Freescan (or Espritmon) you can check for error codes with the field diagnostic method. You need to put a jumper in the ALDL plug between earth and diagnose (next to earth in the plug), the CEL will flash to indicate any error codes, starting with 3 x code 12. There should be a second CEL in the back along with the ALDL, next to the relais and fuses.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Is it running stock injectors? I had my car fail emissions due to aftermarket Five-O Motorsports injectors dumping ridiculous amounts of fuel, especially at idle which is when I failed. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

22 minutes ago, Vanya said:

Is it running stock injectors? I had my car fail emissions due to aftermarket Five-O Motorsports injectors dumping ridiculous amounts of fuel, especially at idle which is when I failed. 

As far as I know it's running stock injectors.

my car failed everything, not just the idle test lol.e-test.JPG

3 hours ago, ragingfool35 said:

there are cautionary tales to only use OEM oxygen sensor; is your replacement OEM?

a Freescan log would be very helpful

I searched on the forum and someone suggested a Bosch o2 sensor that fit perfectly, so I bought that.

Lots of stuff will fit sure, but work properly, that's another matter. Travis had some odd Bosch reference which works fine for him, but I don't know about emissions regs where he lives. I couldn't find the exact part he referenced. Otherwise, best stick to a factory sensor. Is there anyone that can lend you one? 

As for the injectors post some pics of the primary injectors and we'll tell you whether they're stock Rochesters or not. 

I've also heard that the ECU can start dumping fuel nonsensically once it begins to give up the ghost. But lets start with the basics.... 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

10 hours ago, Vanya said:

Lots of stuff will fit sure, but work properly, that's another matter. Travis had some odd Bosch reference which works fine for him, but I don't know about emissions regs where he lives. I couldn't find the exact part he referenced. Otherwise, best stick to a factory sensor. Is there anyone that can lend you one? 

As for the injectors post some pics of the primary injectors and we'll tell you whether they're stock Rochesters or not. 

I've also heard that the ECU can start dumping fuel nonsensically once it begins to give up the ghost. But lets start with the basics.... 

I don't know anyone else around me with an Esprit that I could borrow a sensor from.

I'll try and take some pics of the injectors tonight and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for your help.

kudos on the search, but just to be sure, PM Travis with the Bosch part number.  coincidentally i PM'd him after finding a pic of his freescan O2 graph;  i was interested in stock actual AFR for my SE that i am trying to tune an aftermarket ECU not to run rich (it seems to really like running about 0.8.  His pic seemed to indicate that his car is running same, though he told me he believes his wideband AFR meter is indicating operation at target AFR

chris

90SE

Kevin, did you get any Lotus Service manuals (several A4 sized books) with your car?

If not, they can be bought from most dealers, or on the web as books.

Please be aware, that the basic Lotus Service Notes are not complete, with all relevant info for your SE, so you need a bit more, like if you have the ABS brakes, a book on that, the injection on your SE in another book, and some of the Electrics on your SE in yet another book. PM me if in doubt. Plus a parts list book (which can be downloaded for free here, if you're a member. Saves a lot of money, and support this great site.

Those are essential to read how the cars systems are made and set up.

While the aldl tests are possible as described above, it would be good to get the aldl cable and hook it up between the connector either under passengers side dash, or under the carpeted metal cover in the trunk next to the engine. Using freescan or similar, you are able to read out error codes, values, reset codes etc. Note: if hooking up the cable between a laptop and the aldl connector(-s), you must normally set up the com port on the pc to COM1. Windows often chooses another like for example COM2.

Anyway, there are plenty of info on that in this section.

The servicenotes, the laptop with aldl connection and freescan programme, makes it a lot easier to Work on the car. I would say absolutely needed.

Save that, there are many very knowledgeable persons on here WHO will most likely assist with suggestions of procedures, solutions etc. and experience which can not be read in a book, if need be.

Let's hear about your findings.

Sent you a PM.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

i have a slightly used oxy sensor from JAE.

since i converted my ECU, i dont need either of my ALDL interfaces (one is serial, one USB)

PM me with offer if interested in any of these

chris

90SE

• Gold FFM
11 hours ago, Jacques said:

Note: if hooking up the cable between a laptop and the aldl connector(-s), you must normally set up the com port on the pc to COM1. Windows often chooses another like for example COM2.

Just wanted to add it's not always COM1 either! I need to use COM3 for my serial cable. When helping a friend, we found his USB cable would only work when set to COM4.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 17:09, Jacques said:

Kevin, did you get any Lotus Service manuals (several A4 sized books) with your car?

If not, they can be bought from most dealers, or on the web as books.

Please be aware, that the basic Lotus Service Notes are not complete, with all relevant info for your SE, so you need a bit more, like if you have the ABS brakes, a book on that, the injection on your SE in another book, and some of the Electrics on your SE in yet another book. PM me if in doubt. Plus a parts list book (which can be downloaded for free here, if you're a member. Saves a lot of money, and support this great site.

Those are essential to read how the cars systems are made and set up.

While the aldl tests are possible as described above, it would be good to get the aldl cable and hook it up between the connector either under passengers side dash, or under the carpeted metal cover in the trunk next to the engine. Using freescan or similar, you are able to read out error codes, values, reset codes etc. Note: if hooking up the cable between a laptop and the aldl connector(-s), you must normally set up the com port on the pc to COM1. Windows often chooses another like for example COM2.

Anyway, there are plenty of info on that in this section.

The servicenotes, the laptop with aldl connection and freescan programme, makes it a lot easier to Work on the car. I would say absolutely needed.

Save that, there are many very knowledgeable persons on here WHO will most likely assist with suggestions of procedures, solutions etc. and experience which can not be read in a book, if need be.

Let's hear about your findings.

Sent you a PM.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

I have some manuals for the car, the original owners manual and a service manual...that's it.

I downloaded the freescan but need the cable to hook up to my laptop.

For my 1990 SE, I have the following books:

- Servicenotes 1988-1992 m.y.  covering basics. (black book).

- Servicenotes Section EMH,  covering Electronic M.P.F.I with Chargecooler. (black book).

- Servicenotes Section MK,  covering electrics specific to the SE of 1989-1992. (black book).

- Service parts lists 1988-1992 m.y, covering all cars of those years. (yellow book).

Then there is the book for the anti locking brakes. (black book).

And the book for airbags. (black book).

They are comprehensive and really good stuff to read, but in some Places not explanatory, as they are meant for trained personel. Still they are an invaluable must have for anyone even remotely interested in making the Esprit perform as intended. All of them have been revised a number of times through the years, giving updated information on specific setups or procedures. The EMH  and MK ones are a must if one have a chargecooler bespoked car.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

@internets can (literally) hook you up with one :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 3 months later...

Hi Jacques,

I still have not gotten to the bottom of it yet.

I did purchase and install a new ECM, but it's winter here and I can't get the car out to re E-test it.

I downloaded freescan to my laptop but can't get a dataport to fit my car. Almost appears that someone changed the ports. I have a case full of every port made (GM, Toyota, Chevrolet, Mazda etc) Tried to hook up under the dash and the rear engine bay, no luck.