free hit
counters
Have you ever bought the same model car time and time again?ed? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Have you ever bought the same model car time and time again?ed?

How many of one model car have you ever owned? (not necessarily at the same time)  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A thread topic which pops up quite often is along the lines of "pick your favouite 5 Esprits for your dream garage"..

Well, are you the kind of person who buys the essentially the same car over and over again? How many times before you get tired and move onto new pastures?

With me the magic number seems to be 3. I love Capri, Opel Monzas, Lotus Elites, etc. but after 3 always feel I've had my fill.

Anybody owned more? Do you think you are a perfectionist, a unicorn hunter, or just greedy? (in the nicet possible way!)

I could probably own more than 3 Esprit's but can't affod to so will never know! Part of me worries if I ever dropped the Lotto and did get that "dream Esprit garage" it would be punted on and buy a Lambo instead.

• Like 1

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

After I lost my previous Esprit SE, I looked around for a suitable replacement, test drove a few (including another Lotus) and then decided I just had to have another Esprit. And preferably a turbo SE again. It took me just under a month to find one, with the help of the forum. And I still stand by my choice wholeheartedly! :wub:

But there is more. 10 years ago I bought my first Range Rover P38a, a 2.5 diesel manual. Mainly as a cheap, comfortable car to rack up the miles, often towing a trailer and visiting muddy jobsites. Half a year later I added a second Range Rover, same type but with a 4.6 V8 and autobox. After that came a 4.0 V8 manual, again the exact same type. This was fitted with a 4.6 and prepped for serious offroad work. I added another 4.0 V8 manual because it was an offer I couldn't refuse, and then another 4.6 V8 automatic. And then there was a 4.0 V8 automatic with engine problems that was stripped for parts, a 2.5 diesel automatic that was done up and sold, another two to strip for parts (one without an engine, one wrecked), all P38a variants between '94 and '99. My first Range was scrapped when the BMW engine died at 370k km. The prepped 4.6 manual was unfortunately also lost in the fire. I now drive the 4.0 V8 manual as a daily, when the circumstances don't allow me to use the Esprit. Both of the V8 automatics are still on my driveway. And if all goes well, this weekend I will add another pair: a 4.6 V8 manual as a project and a 2.5 diesel automatic to do up and sell one (both are offered as a package). So that makes 9 up to now and 2 more likely. :sofa: Which must qualify me as an addict! To be fair, the Range Rover part cars are more to supply parts to customers. But still...

Both the Esprit Turbo SE and Range Rover P38a offer me the exact mix between modern technology and classic feel, and are the least expensive versions (the Rangies are actually dirt cheap, considering what they used to cost and how much you get out of them). So although I actually prefer the older designs of both and acknowledge the improvements of later versions, I don't see myself driving older or newer. Not on a daily basis that is.

Filip

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

2 Esprits, 2 Elises (both times had 2 at once for quite a while!) and kinda 6 Evoras :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The one car that has broken my "3 buys tops" rule is the 1990s Volvo T5. Like Filip and his P38 Range Rovers they suit me great, 5 up to now and still love them.  Spacious in a way new cars can't be any more, just enough technology to be reliable, simple enough for DIY. When my collection eventually dies I'll be trawling Japan for a rust free import.

i think the trouble with owning too many copies of the same car is that you tend then to experience ALL the problems that particular model has and then get a bit bummed with them.

• Gold FFM
7 hours ago, 21gg said:

2 elises, 3 s2 exiges, 3 evoras, 9 lotus in total!

Gav

1 Elite

3 Eclat's

2 esprit S3's

1 Esprit S4 turbo

1 Eclat Excel

4 Excel's

2 Elise S1's

2 Elan M100's

15 to date and loved ever one of them especially the Esprit's.

• Like 1

Between me and the wife we've had:

x2 Smart Car, Mk1 and now currently own Mk2 version
x2 Ford Ka, Mk1 and Mk2 version
x2 Ford Granada, both Mk2's 2.8GL and a 2.8i Ghia X
x2 Triumph Dolomite, an 1850HL and a Sprint
x3 Mini, all different, V reg Mini 1000, Mini Minus, first ever one produced and currently a 'BMW' Mini Cooper S

I did write down my car history recently, I've owned 22 cars since 1982, although I've driven thousands of different cars helped by working in the motor trade, ranging from £200 to £250,000

4 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

7 successive TDi Passats. Last 5 bought new. Not been without one since 2000. Time for a change?

Not if you don't want to!

It may be diffferent for new car buyers but for us povs I think its a bit of a search for utopia......that perfect combination of options, the rare colour, ultra low mileage, whatever.

For a while I ran 2 sporty V70s side by side as his n hers. Everyone thought it was barmy, where's the "little" wifes car they would ask. Whenever she gives in to peer pressure and buys something new, small, or expensive it lasts a matter of months and a Volvo is back.

3 X Mini (My first car was a Mini van and it was the fastest car in the world!)

2 X Nissan Primera

3 X Honda Accord

2 X Lotus Esprit

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

• Gold FFM
11 hours ago, johnpwalsh said:

1 Elite

3 Eclat's

2 esprit S3's

1 Esprit S4 turbo

1 Eclat Excel

4 Excel's

2 Elise S1's

2 Elan M100's

15 to date and loved ever one of them especially the Esprit's.

I didn't want to include any other marques as the list would be endless after 42 years of motoring and far to many restorations to count.

• Gold FFM

Vauxhall vivaro vans - x3 

swb then lwb now facelift lwb - all crew cabs and arguably the best blue value setup in the commercial market. When time comes to change - it'll be straight into another

Oh - and I might have a thing for spitfires and heralds...... esprits are sneaking on the list

Only here once

Apart from the 3 Range Rovers (my first I bought when I was a student and took it across Europe B-)) I have just realised I have had 6 TR7's, three of which are still outside. The problem with the addiction with TR7's is that I would go out one morning and find that it had been replaced with a pile of rust so I would just have to get another.

If the question had been how many road worthy cars I have had the answer for TR7's would have been 2! well 1 and a half really.

As a youngster I used to watch 70 year old blokes still driving around in Mk2 Jags and Triumph 2000s and wonder why they didn't update. It's easier to empathise a little more now!

You sort of find your groove, realise change is sometimes just for change's sake or marketing, and find comfort in familiarity. My know it all son says it's a scientific fact your tastes start to soilidify in your 40s.

In another 30 years I expect to be one of those old dudes in my Volvo T5, hearing aid turned off to remove the sound of shattering wing mirrors as we weave gently up the street.

7 minutes ago, march said:

I have just realised I have had 6 TR7's, three of which are still outside.

See if I had a farm and almost limitless room it would look like that, or one of those dusty "hoard find" threads you see when some old guy curls his toes up and the rest of the world peeks in to see.

• 1 month later...